• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tales from the Dyno - the case of the NASTY Tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - we've made some progress...Not calling an end to this just yet, but we're moving in the right direction. I swapped out the Bosch 42 lb/hr Green Giants for 850T Orange (30 lb/hr) and bingo. I have not had a repeat performance of the $hitting the bed antics from before. I welded up a test cap and I have also found a tiny little pinhole in the first tube of the intercooler. Not sure how big a deal a little pin hole would be, but I've cleaned it all up and have it sitting in JB Weld inside and out. It was pulling really nicely through redline in 3rd and up to 5K rpm in 4th (ran out of road).

OK - we've made some progress...Not calling an end to this just yet, but we're moving in the right direction. I swapped out the Bosch 42 lb/hr Green Giants for 850T Orange (30 lb/hr) and bingo. I have not had a repeat performance of the $hitting the bed antics from before. I welded up a test cap and I have also found a tiny little pinhole in the first tube of the intercooler. Not sure how big a deal a little pin hole would be, but I've cleaned it all up and have it sitting in JB Weld inside and out. It was pulling really nicely through redline in 3rd and up to 5K rpm in 4th (ran out of road).

we need a like button on the forum

Volt meters, scopes, gauges, etc-all the same-tools

I do not agree with this statement. Scopes see waveforms and have precision that multimeters can never get near.

Regarding formal automotive education: No kidding there are always going to be terrible techs and amazing techs. Both with and without paper credentials. I don't see why people even make such comments unless it is an attempt to undermine said credentials. I have learned a lot and I suggest those that are serious about furthering their automotive skill set consider doing the same.

Just a link to the advanced test material on the sophisticated L1 test I hope to pass in the near future. Since tbricks has been ****ting the bed here recently. It may make for some good reading for those that want to put their automotive knowledge to the test, or simply learn advanced automotive skills. There is even a sample test, don't cheat!

It is all based on a modern theoretical V6 engine:

http://www.ase.com/MediaLibrary/Images/PDF folder/Advanced_L1_White_StudyGuide.pdf

http://www.ase.com/MediaLibrary/Images/PDF folder/L1_Blue_Composite_Booklet_WEB.pdf

$100 says if you put the injectors and amm back to stock it will run perfectly. But what do I know I only battled the exact same problems.

I do not agree with this statement. Scopes see waveforms and have precision that multimeters can never get near.

Regarding formal automotive education: No kidding there are always going to be terrible techs and amazing techs. Both with and without paper credentials. I don't see why people even make such comments unless it is an attempt to undermine said credentials. I have learned a lot and I suggest those that are serious about furthering their automotive skill set consider doing the same.

For those of us who cannot afford to change careers, seeing people who do half-assed jobs, shoddy work, or even outright WRONG work is kind of a sting to the heart. Just knowing that Tech A is out there dumping coolant into the window washer tank, and putting bars stop leak into every ****ing orifice is an annoyance, when you yourself can probably work circles around many of the shop guys, AND do it with a smile because you love it. I like education, I agree with education, it's valuable, but for a lot of homegamers and shadetrees, the only education we get is experience. Undermining credentials is one thing, but putting some know it all dickhead who just finished his first ASE cert in his place is another. Sorta like the patient with WedMD telling the Doctor what to treat for...

Just a link to the advanced test material on the sophisticated L1 test I hope to pass in the near future. Since tbricks has been ****ting the bed here recently. It may make for some good reading for those that want to put their automotive knowledge to the test, or simply learn advanced automotive skills. There is even a sample test, don't cheat!

It is all based on a modern theoretical V6 engine:

http://www.ase.com/MediaLibrary/Images/PDF folder/Advanced_L1_White_StudyGuide.pdf

http://www.ase.com/MediaLibrary/Images/PDF folder/L1_Blue_Composite_Booklet_WEB.pdf

not everything requires a waveform diagnosis. Again, correct tool for correct job. You have proven nothing here.

For those of us who cannot afford to change careers, seeing people who do half-assed jobs, shoddy work, or even outright WRONG work is kind of a sting to the heart. Just knowing that Tech A is out there dumping coolant into the window washer tank, and putting bars stop leak into every ****ing orifice is an annoyance, when you yourself can probably work circles around many of the shop guys, AND do it with a smile because you love it. I like education, I agree with education, it's valuable, but for a lot of homegamers and shadetrees, the only education we get is experience. Undermining credentials is one thing, but putting some know it all dickhead who just finished his first ASE cert in his place is another. Sorta like the patient with WedMD telling the Doctor what to treat for...

Agreed 100%

If I added up all the spare time I have during the year to work on a car, it may amount to something like 6 minutes a day and in that time, I am guaranteed to make at least three mistakes. Experience is the only teacher. I envy the people that get to do this every day.... and on that same note, I would expect a person who does this for a living to know what the **** they're doing. Yes, a sound theoretical understanding of semiconductors is nice, but sometimes you just don't have the ****ing time. And on that note, I have to have either two drinks, or four cups of coffee just to make sense of the megamanual.

And on that note, I am pouring another glass of glenmorangie.

At least you guys are making me laugh and one car seems to be running better!

fc,550x550,white.jpg

I'm trying to find the rod bolt thread... what year was that....

i would check the the coil wire sounds like it could be randomly grounding out on something . had this happen on a few cars in the past. could try and close the gap on the plugs too.

Thanks for all your help in this thread. Valuable information added! I suggest you put on your boots and go find your most local rock and kick it incessantly!

Sorry, I didn't mean to dilute your inane bull**** with MY inane bull****. You should flash your ASE certs, maybe it'll get you some respect around here amongst us plebs.:roll:

Look, I don't think I am any better than the next man. YOU were the one that resorted to name calling.

If my format of discussing advanced automotive concepts comes off to you as elitist and offends you, I strongly urge you to put me on your ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back