• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230ft in DeLorean

Pietercc

I just got to thinking, a 260/760/780 all use the prv engine that the DeLorean used, does that mean a b230 swap into one would be fairly easy? I don't have much experience with the prv, and unsure about almost everything on it, but wanted to spark a conversation

I can't think of a single similarity between the two engines that would make this an easier swap than almost any other swap in the world.
PRV bellhousing is completely different from a redblock one. Motor mounts are completely different, so you'll have to make custom mounts for a B230, and then deal with the fact that your B230 is a cylinder longer than a PRV, so now you're reshaping the firewall to make a B230 fit back into the cabin a little. There is about 6" of room between a PRV in a volvo and the firewall. Not to mention all those little details because nothing for the PRV is in the same place as it would be for a B230. Little stuff like custom radiator lines because the hose size and location is different between the two motors.
And if you get the engine to fit now you have to find a transmission that will fit it and power the rear wheels of the DMC. Or try to find a way to adapt a B230 bellhousing to a PRV pattern so you can use the stock one.

Plenty of other swaps to be done in your Delorean. Late Volvo 280PRVs or 3.0L PRVs, LS1, a couple other V6 options I forget off the top of my head. If you are going to do the work you may as well end up with something more fun and powerful than a B230FT.

My suggestion would be to turbo a B280. That would get you the best version of the engine a volvo got and make enough power for smiles. Plus it is different. John Lane on here has done a lot with the V6. Get rid of the kjet and use megasquirt or some other type of efi.

Just a quick side note about John Lane's "Fire Breathing Monster"...
It's not his anymore.
He sold it to Cody Crane earlier this year (as reported on the for-sale thread at Rally Anarchy).
He is reportedly expecting to run it at Oregon Trails Rally this year.
And Lane got most of the go-fast engine bits from JVAB. But John and John don't talk anymore for some reason.

It's not his anymore.
He sold it to Cody Crane earlier this year (as reported on the for-sale thread at Rally Anarchy).
And Lane got most of the go-fast engine bits from JVAB. But John and John don't talk anymore for some reason.

It's not his anymore.

Conflicting knowitalledness would be my guess.

Considering how much a shiest example of a Delorean goes for, putting a 4 cyl in it makes little to no sense. Just putting in a B280 & LH 2.2 from a late 760 would be a vast improvement over the B28/Kjet lump, with minimal alterations

There is only one in my immediate area - been sitting for year now

49094835-10155805368611370-8458542385545084928-n-2.jpg

Back