• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Interior Refreshening Project

Also you seem very talented. You can repair the panel. I was able to repair that same exact door panel for friend by cutting the lower half off. I cut straight along the back using the chrome trim in as my cutoff point. I peeled back the fabric/vinyl and over lapped by 1/2 in. some new fiber board from Home Depot. I used Gorilla glue to mate the 2 boards together. Then used some spray glue to bond the material to the board. You will need to make new holes for map pocket hardware. You could also staple the fabric back on but the staples need to be short.

I did give some thought about fixing it until I got a good look at how extensive the damage is. After seeing how high up on the panel the deterioration was I decide on just finding a new panel.

Attachments

• DSCN2823.jpg
    DSCN2823.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 529
Still doable. Cut at the line, overlap the new section 1.5 inches above line, reinforce small section on right with fiberglass. Took me a while to find that same panel, driver side in good condition. It gets the most wear on the fabric.

There is one for sale on eBay right now, but it appears to have wear on the fabric like you mentioned. I just had a thought, I have a couple driver's side panels in black, maybe I could remove the tan cover and install it on the good fiber board from the black panel. Of course then I would have to sacrifice a nice black door panel.

I just sorted through my hoard and have three complete sets in black, one set is going with some other interior parts I sold to a member on here, the other set is truly in perfect condition and it would be sacrilegious to sacrifice one of them, the only way you could find nicer panels is if you bought them new from the dealership, I am amazed at how nice they are, but the third set I guess I can bring myself to sacrifice a panel.

There is one for sale on eBay right now, but it appears to have wear on the fabric like you mentioned. I just had a thought, I have a couple driver's side panels in black, maybe I could remove the tan cover and install it on the good fiber board from the black panel. Of course then I would have to sacrifice a nice black door panel.

Just go up to the damaged area. Don't give yourself more work. Easier to cut a straight line.

No turning back now. Donor panel stripped, the tan cover removed from the rotted panel and now air drying after a good cleaning.

Attachments

• DSCN2846.jpg
    DSCN2846.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCN2848.jpg
    DSCN2848.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 525
Back to the speaker project. They arrived today. Production date on the box was 1988, so very period correct. And to think these are new in the box. How they look in the car without the headrests installed. Once the headrests are installed I feel they will blend in nicely, especially painted tan to match the rest of the interior.

Attachments

• DSCN2885.JPG
    DSCN2885.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCN2880.jpg
    DSCN2880.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCN2873.JPG
    DSCN2873.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCN2870.JPG
    DSCN2870.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 497
My shifter cover is cracked and I went on the hunt for a new tan one and I found they are either not available or more money than I wanted to spend.

Another "project". I had a perfect cover in black, but clearly this would not match my interior. Looking at the cover's underside it looked like the top cover piece was pressed onto the main body while hot to retain the gear indicator and bushes. I drilled out the rivet looking things and the top cover came right off along with the brushes and gear indicator panels. Now I could paint everything and put it back together without getting paint where I didn't want it. I secured the top plate with gel superglue and it is holding perfectly.

Attachments

• DSCN2854.jpg
    DSCN2854.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCN2849.jpg
    DSCN2849.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 853
  • DSCN2860.jpg
    DSCN2860.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 492
Have you tried a dry fit with rear headrests? Curious as to clearance. Shifter cover looks great.

Hi, do you speak spanish? I just happenned to see the word " bocinas" before logging in. I a m working in some speaker covers as well from an old school toyota that need some small modification before putting some pioneer speakers to them as well. Nice interior job. Mine will have suby seats with suby/ saab seat covers with white center and black ends matching the black side panels and white roof.
seeya
DZ :cool:

I don't speak Spanish.

nel621, I did dry fit them and there is plenty of room. They actually "hide" pretty well behind the head rests.

Now I still have rear speakers they are just on the parcel shelf now instead of in the door panels. And I have nice clean, non rotted rear panels.

Attachments

• DSCN2890.jpg
    DSCN2890.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN2893.jpg
    DSCN2893.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 473
Have you thought about sourcing a set of factory rear speakers and swapping in better speakers? I have a set of factory 6.5" grills that I'm going to hide modern speakers behind.

rear-deck-placement-template.jpg

s-l640.jpg

I like the Volvo speaker boxes, but I imagine not very easy to find. I had a hard enough time finding the ones I did. It seems back in the 80's these were a popular style, but times have progressed I guess.

Back