• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

Feel free to bring anything you might like to SSSSSS guys!

Re:hard start; I know it cranks,but what about swapping out the starter for another known working (or new)one? I know with the 144 I had a similar issue and just ended up being a tired starter. (It would crank but not fire, swapped out and she fired right up) /shrug

Is this LH 2.2 or 2.4? 89 was the switch over year in a 240 wasn't it?

If its LH2.2, and you've confirmed the distributor is in properly and properly timed. have you verified the outside of the crank pulley hasn't moved? The bond breaks and the outter ring with the timing marks will move. So you set timing to the wrong spot. Might explain the hard start but Ok running once running.

LH 2.4, apologies for not specifying earlier completely forgot about that. Been fortunate to be supplied with a harmonic balancer whose rubber was in one piece for sure.

Feel free to bring anything you might like to SSSSSS guys!

Re:hard start; I know it cranks,but what about swapping out the starter for another known working (or new)one? I know with the 144 I had a similar issue and just ended up being a tired starter. (It would crank but not fire, swapped out and she fired right up) /shrug

Could I join in on the pm for SSS.....? Would like to stop by and say hi if I am able to!

Haven't tried a new starter, but recently I read about a similar problem someone else wrote about in an old thread on here (for some reason I feel like it may have even been Kardboard??). Anyways, new starter and checking for traces of water in the fuel tank were brought up as possibilities for the hard start. Unfortunately, I believe I don't have a known good starter, but will check the box of parts and corresponding memory bank in terms of where the thing came from if I find one. Anyone have any ideas/methods of testing one in the mean time?

Again, all the input is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Do you still have the original pink label ECU? They are known to go bad, and when they do, all sorts of weird stuff happens.

http://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=137394

I have an old pink label 561 ECU leftover from when I swapped it out of my old 89 wagon. It didn't have any issues, just swapped it out as a preventative measure. It's yours if you want it to rule out a dead ECU.

Last edited:
Is it hard to start cold only? Posts here suggest failing temp sensor.

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/1990-740-hard-start-54799/

M.

Interesting that it would make that much of an impact on cold start. When testing the resistance of the coolant temp sensor and it's wiring via back probing the harness plug the resistance did seem a bit off (honestly can't remember the number, but was referencing the Bentley book values when comparing). Didn't get a chance to remove the sensor and dunk in boiling water to test whether the thing is actually functioning properly though. At the time, it didn't strike me as much of a concern, but I will order a new one and see what happens.

Thanks!

Do you still have the original pink label ECU? They are known to go bad, and when they do, all sorts of weird stuff happens.

http://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=137394

I have an old pink label 561 ECU leftover from when I swapped it out of my old 89 wagon. It didn't have any issues, just swapped it out as a preventative measure. It's yours if you want it to rule out a dead ECU.

LH is a 937 (wagon is a +T). Thank you very much for the offer though!

Anyone coming out to SSSSSSSSS on Saturday have an extra fuel pump relay for a P80 that I could borrow for a couple days? I think it's Volvo Part# 9434225

Have this weird cold start issue on the S70 where it idles like crap for 10-20 seconds on the first start of the day, then has no issues at all and runs/re-starts just fine. Seems to only happen when it's cold/damp out, but not when it's warm and dry. Trying to rule things out without throwing parts at it.

edit: warmer weather and dry out this morning, no issue with my morning start.

edit2: what time is SSSSSSSSSSSSS going down on saturday? I have to do my rear brakes at some point in the afternoon

Last edited:
How did it all turn out?

Yeah, what happened? Sorry I had to drop out. My new car showed up with a couple of out of town buddies, which took over my weekend.

8FF9B30A-4EDE-4FE0-A7DF-4AD368DBA50E_zpsr26akece.jpg

Good to see everyone this weekend! I left just after ten pm Saturday, at which point the engine was back in the car, sadly sans valvetrain. Did you have any luck on the pushrods?

M.

Just wanted to give a huge shout out to everyone that came to SSSSSS,and helped out with my ol beastie. Sadly still trying to locate appropriate length pushrods. Fingers crossed can find some this week!
Thanks again for all the help guys!

Back