• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alden's 1985 744 Turbo

WindowsBreakerG4

ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS
This is going to be an ongoing thread about the happenings with my 1985 744 turbo intercooler. I purchased the car in late september 2008 with 296k miles on it for the sum of $900. It has an M46, a newer wiring harness, and the stock b230ft never rebuilt. Strangely this car has no boost gauge but instead it has an oil pressure gauge.

From about 2005-2008 when I bought it, the car went all of about 5000 miles. It didn't really leak when I got it but yea things have been turning up. I knew it was going to need some work, but I wanted/needed a car and yea here we are

Things done so far (not in this order)
  • New wheel to replace the bent one
  • <strike>Redline MTL in the M46MTL was nasty, now has trickshift, seems happier M46 has a almost dead cone clutch. Fun </strike> M46 version 2.0
  • 100 amp alternator
  • New Plugs, cap and rotor
  • Rewired pieces of wiring harness
  • Replaced kenwood cassette deck
  • Replaced Fuel Filer
  • Switched to delo 15/40
  • IPD sport springs
  • Billy HD's in the back
  • Tourings up front (replaced completely, and I mean completely, dead struts)
  • IPD Sways
  • Ball joints (moog)
  • Sturt mounts (SKF)
  • Belly pan
  • H4 headlight conversions
  • Front Hub conversion (from 1 piece to 2 piece)
  • Replaced Radiator with one that doesn't leak
  • Fixed broken exhaust stud (was broken in the manifold, had to drill and remove it)
  • Basically a full stage 0
  • Eggcrate grill
  • New tail lights
  • Cherry Turbo upper and lower braces
  • New tail lights

I have several projects planned for the future (also not in order)
  • <strike>Fixing all the dents and replacing panels on my car (fenders are both bent)</strike> Got new fenders on the car, pix coming soon. Could still use a new passenger's door and some paint on the top but for now it'll work
  • <strike>Repainting the car in the original color, going to spray it at my friend's house, won't be perfect but at least it won't be mismatched and peeling</strike> Changed the fenders and added a Aluminum hood. Repaint is going to be held off on for a bit.
  • <strike>Newer engine or a newer head, if my newer engine has 13mm rods it is going in the car, if not, just a head, head is here. </strike> Has ported decked head, with cut valves probably going to look for a squirter soon, my piston slap has gotten bad
  • A cam, (ipd turbo cam)
  • <strike>90+ manifold Have it, needs flattened and ported </strike> On the car with a 15g
  • <strike>Exhaust, car has a cherry bomb on it, tired of the noise it makes</strike> cat plugged all, new exhaust is coming</strike> Car has Full 3" now
  • <strike>Clutch, when I do the engine </strike> has 240 flat flywheel and 8.5" clutch now, huge difference
  • NPR Intercooler (have it needs to go in)
  • Coilovers and yellows (someday)
  • <strike>Trailer hitch and wiring</strike>
  • <strike>New headliner</strike>
  • <strike>Making the fog lights work</strike>
  • <strike>newer airdam and bumpers</strike> (need to do the rear bumper still)

This is what I can think of so far, I will keep this updated as I go.

The car as I got it in september
sept.jpg

sept3.jpg

The car as it sat last weekend

front-in-april.jpg

front-right-april.jpg

rear-in-april.jpg

This car is my DD in addition to everything else. I know it's not a looker now, but I am working on it. Some day I hope to add a wagon to the fleet with it.

Also, I pulled the pin striping off of one side, which do people prefer? I am kinda leaning toward replacing it when I repaint the car.

Car has new fenders so it needs new pin stripping asap.

Last edited:
It's not going to be crazy fast as long as it is my only car/DD, but it will get faster. Right now I am looking for a 93+ engine if anyone has one. Once it has a new engine and clutch I'll bump the boost up to around 11.

This weekend I swapped on my 100amp alt and found my turbo has a threaded hole in the front. Put a bolt in the hole and WOW! WAY FASTER :D

Did front brakes last weekend and converted to separate hubs, and now have ceramic pads. NPR intercooler is here, I'll try to get that in this weekend, and maybe swap to my better bumpers.

I also found my big oil leak, the drain plug needed snugged up, now the car doesn't seem to leak oil. On the down side. It seems like the clutch is being a tad odd. Also should try to get my braces on the car this weekend.

Did front brakes last weekend and converted to separate hubs, and now have ceramic pads. NPR intercooler is here, I'll try to get that in this weekend, and maybe swap to my better bumpers.

I also found my big oil leak, the drain plug needed snugged up, now the car doesn't seem to leak oil. On the down side. It seems like the clutch is being a tad odd. Also should try to get my braces on the car this weekend.

I'm there. Let's do it!

so... the rest of the suspension, bumpers, wiring, intercooler this weekend, and paint coming up... damn this car is coming together

wooohooo...

keith

We'll see how far we get this weekend. The wiring needs more then the little bit we are doing to it this weekend lol but it is a start

Got the new used bumper and valance on, got the new fuse block in (now the heater fan turns off with the key!), fogs are rewired and installed, rewired a relay (the block was melted). Hope to get braces and intercooler done before this weekend, we'll see. Also now the radio doesn't have power so i need to figure that out.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

From the autocross. Now has chassis braces from cherry turbo. I think it looks much better with the fogs on there. Car is currently rocking the borbets from my parts car, not sure how long they'll stay on there but yea.

Car now has a rear decor panel and I have a spoiler to go on it but I haven't had time to put it on yet. I am looking into t5 swap parts for now. I did a water pump a few weeks ago and replaced 2 front tires which has been slowing down progress.

Thanks! It's comming along, kinda at a standstill right now, I need more monies lol.

Plan for next month is to hopefully paint some front sheet metal for the car and get that in there and get the AC fixed (probably in the reverse order). If I can get the cash together I want to do the head liner too.

Ok the headliner is in, (Never again will i do that) with black trim (HL is dark gray). I am going to be putting in seats that are like my originals but in better shape. I hope to get the AC done this week. Pictures coming soon.

Ok a few pictures.

DSC_9352.jpg

The stupid housing that wouldn't come off.
DSC_9353.jpg

DSC_9354.jpg

DSC_9360.jpg

Starting to take the interior apart (blurry due to scottyd's tipsy state).

DSC_9364.jpg

A present from the previous owner!

DSC_9366.jpg

The PO's speaker wire placement
DSC_9367.jpg

DSC_9373.jpg

New liner in, it is dark gray but the camera sees it as purple. Go figure. Too lazy to color correct.

DSC_9374.jpg

DSC_9375.jpg

Back