• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 245T mLPT B274FT Project

Scheduled to go back on the dyno at the end of the month (finally). Hit a pothole and bent a rim last month and just got the wheel back yesterday.

Scheduled to go back on the dyno at the end of the month (finally). Hit a pothole and bent a rim last month and just got the wheel back yesterday.

You fixed those skinny wheels? :lol: If you ever needed an excuse for some wider wheels that was it!

what of the 10 year old tires?

Cheaper to fix skinny wheel than to buy 4 of something else (that has yet to be identified). Tires are closer to 12 years old. They have maybe 1000 miles them. Not interested in buying new tires for skinny wheels right now. Need to burn a little rubber off them first.

Any pictures of the car in decent light? It's obvious the paint is well done, but all the reflections off the trees and building kill the lines and make it look like none of the bodywork lines up properly.
Maybe some pics at dusk with indirect lighting?

Any pictures of the car in decent light? It's obvious the paint is well done, but all the reflections off the trees and building kill the lines and make it look like none of the bodywork lines up properly.

nah, paul cuts more corners than a seamstress. nothing lines up, and the engine bay is a very cleverly painted plastic overlay :-P

Can't wait to see the numbers :-D

The paint (except for the hood) is factory and none of the body panels (except for the hood) have ever been off. So if it looks bad, blame Volvo.

Cheaper to fix skinny wheel than to buy 4 of something else (that has yet to be identified). Tires are closer to 12 years old. They have maybe 1000 miles them. Not interested in buying new tires for skinny wheels right now. Need to burn a little rubber off them first.
Assuming the tread doesn't fall off first... ;-)

Definitely anxious on the results...

The paint (except for the hood) is factory and none of the body panels (except for the hood) have ever been off. So if it looks bad, blame Volvo.
I was anxiously waiting for this reply. Love it. I wanted to say it, but since it's your car felt you deserved the honors.

You forgot to mention that the car is stored in a climate controlled garage the chassis only has ~30k on it. Lots of car on Tbricks still have factory paint. This car has like new factory paint.

TSW = "The Soft Wheels" :rofl:

Best of luck at the dyno Paul! We're all (pun unintentional) pulling for ya! :cheers:

I?ve found the limits of the stock fuel system...

I guess I?ve completed Stage 1 of the engine install. Four years is too long.

The engine was tuned to the limits of the stock fuel system. Other than an additional relay at the rear near the battery (so that the pumps are fed directly from the battery) my fuel system is stock from the in-tank pump up to the under-hood filter.

I have a list of things to do, but the fuel system upgrade is at the top, before tuning can resume. The chassis pump will either be the Aeromotive A1000 or the Bosch 044. I suspect I will delete the in-tank pump. (The Aeromotive people said their pump would work fine without one, even with a tank that draws from the top).

For performance purposes the car is essentially undriveable now. But adequate replacement tires are much more complicated than the fuel system upgrade (as Cappy and Bne can attest) and will wait until after the tuning is done.

Here is an Excel chart with the best torque run and best HP run merged, boost scale on right. Fuel pressure began to drop as the RPMs rose towards 6000 so the tuning stopped there. The engine does not have very much timing in it now for the same reason. Injectors are at about 78% duty cycle so they are not the limitation.

Chart is posted for info/update purposes only for people who enjoy chart-gazing, but I suspect it will look different when all is said and done.

large.jpg

Dynapack dyno
Sunoco 93 octane
Max WHP - 457
Max WTQ - 489

great numbers Paul, especially the torque...

you should bring this to our (B)NE1.0 gathering we are going to setup next year in the spring.

so you're right around 28psi max boost now?

Looks great! And normally we don't see torque numbers that are higher than HP at this level... Awesome work. Can't wait to see what it'll do as the rpm continue to increase with more fuel. Thanks for posting!

Looks great! And normally we don't see torque numbers that are higher than HP at this level... Awesome work. Can't wait to see what it'll do as the rpm continue to increase with more fuel. Thanks for posting!

yes, that's what i was noticing, that's what the extra displacement will help do for you.

those hp numbers should definitely sky rocket once they can tune it past 6k. The engine is built to make power well above 6k so we should see some very nice numbers once the fuel system upgrades are finished.

Back