• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Factory V8 and V6 Engines?

HB of CJ

Does/did Volvo ever made a V8 or V6 passenger car engine. I really don't know. Are they any good? How big are they? How much power? Availability? $Cost$? Thanks in advance. HB of CJ (old coot) (because I really don't know) :) :) :)

They have a passenger car V8, but it's made by Yamaha.

Volvo did make a 3.6 liter pushrod V8 boat motor back in the day, but it was never put in any passenger cars.

It was called the B36.

And it's occasionally alleged that the B18 (replacement for the older B16) was developed as half the B36. Which would explain how overbuilt the bottom end is for a 100 HP 4 cylinder.

Volvo-B36-V8.jpg

I saw a youtube video of said V8 running open DP and boy oh boy it sounded great. Then again any motor run open DP sounds great, cept for those shiesty japanesse motors.

the prv that's mentioned above is decent, smoother then the 4 and can make some decent power. Biggest thing is keeping the oil changed and the radiator fluid topped up. Do that and they are reliable, don't and they'll fail quickly.

Well, if you want to get into Penat motors, there are quite a few larger domestic based lumps that came with a Volvo sticker or two on them.

I don't think Volvo had much input into the design of the PRV motors, probably just shared some production costs...

If you really want a V6, the PRV is fine as long as you keep up with maintenance as mentioned before. It will bolt up to a common transmission so that saves a lot of effort and cost. And the fun thing is...that engine was also used in the Delorean and they are still developing performance bits for it these days. Unfortunately, most of those parts are Delorean specific (exhaust, cold air, etc.) and they are quite expensive. But they do offer zero mile crate engines with performance cams and ported and polished heads. They also have a nice ignition upgrade available...

If you really want a V6, the PRV is fine as long as you keep up with maintenance as mentioned before. It will bolt up to a common transmission so that saves a lot of effort and cost. And the fun thing is...that engine was also used in the Delorean and they are still developing performance bits for it these days. Unfortunately, most of those parts are Delorean specific (exhaust, cold air, etc.) and they are quite expensive. But they do offer zero mile crate engines with performance cams and ported and polished heads. They also have a nice ignition upgrade available...

In this thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=138997 Is some information about how to improve and get parts for the PRV engines.

Back