• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1982 volvo 242 GLT turbo boost?

BryantTF242

Hey, so i have an 82 242 turbo, i was wondering if any of you guys knew how much boost these things run stock? i only got the colored black-orange-red boost gauge so it doesn't say how much psi it runs haha.

6 stock
10 with the IBS kit.

RsportICkit1.jpg

Rsportintercooler-1.jpg

240B21FT-IBSPerformance1.jpg

Last edited:
non-i car = 5.5-6lb
intercooled = 7.5-8.5psi
intercooled with Turbo+ = 10.5psi above 3800rpm for 10sec or so duration

ken thanks for posting the published baseline 1/4 mile time also, nice to have the realitycheck in place!!

+1

But keep in mind that in 1982, that was not bad for a DD.

@OP: If I were you, I would make my own FMIC kit and up the boost with a MBC. That would be the best bang for the buck.

great thanks for the info! i was lookng to replacing the old turbo and replacing it with something a little better, i found a good price on a GT35 T3 Turbo Charger. heres some specs

Air Inlet: 4"
Compressed Air Outlet: 2.5"
Bearing: Journal Bearing
Turbine Housing Flange: Standard T3
Exhaust Outlet: 4-bolt, 3" OD
HP: 300~500 WHP
Cooling: Oil and Water Cooled
Working Pressure : 6-25 PSI
Compressor: .70 A/R
Turbine: .63 A/R
Compressor Wheel: 61.3 /82 mm
Turbine Wheel: 62 /67.8 mm

if its adjustable i would run it around stock boost psi, i just want something that doesn't have 200,000 miles on it and spins a little more efficiently?

There can be a little more to it than just bolting on a new turbo. That said, if your stock turbo isn't burning oil or making noise, and your engine isn't either, you can get a bit more boost out of the stock turbo. You should make sure you have a good "stage 0", or, that worn tune up type parts are replaced. Search this site for stage 0, and also check out peoples different builds. There are answers to all your questions on this site because most have been there, done that.
Or, citing your original post, if you want to know your boost levels while driving, boost gauges are $20 - $30 at the local parts store.

great thanks for the info! i was lookng to replacing the old turbo and replacing it with something a little better, i found a good price on a GT35 T3 Turbo Charger. heres some specs

Air Inlet: 4"
Compressed Air Outlet: 2.5"
Bearing: Journal Bearing
Turbine Housing Flange: Standard T3
Exhaust Outlet: 4-bolt, 3" OD
HP: 300~500 WHP
Cooling: Oil and Water Cooled
Working Pressure : 6-25 PSI
Compressor: .70 A/R
Turbine: .63 A/R
Compressor Wheel: 61.3 /82 mm
Turbine Wheel: 62 /67.8 mm

if its adjustable i would run it around stock boost psi, i just want something that doesn't have 200,000 miles on it and spins a little more efficiently?

boost is always adjustable one way or another. t's only a $20 boost controller. However a max of @10.5psi with a stock Garrett turbo for that year car (.42 AR IN/.63 AR EX) is going to flow a lot less air than your new turbo at that SAME 10.5psi (.70 AR IN/.63 AR EX).
Given that they have the same side exhaust...it should spool about the same...but not as fast as a ball bearing 35R.

there is a few others i have been looking into, it would be ok to get new equipment and run it at stock psi right?

Yes...and No. For arbitrary purposes...you could be making 150WHP now on the stock turbo setup at 10psi and just by bolting on a new snail...at that same 10 psi...you could be pushing 300WHP. You can probably make the same 150WHP with the new 35 snail at 5 psi compared to the stock 10psi...but you'd be out of the turbo's efficiency range. It IS possible...however...can your almost 30 year old engine, with 200K on the clock, HANDLE 300WHP???? Does your stock fuel system have the capability for 300? Your clutch? M46???

You should be looking at the proper turbo for your application and needs.

Theoretically...you CAN make it happen...there are tricks...

But simply trying to bolt up that big new snail with that huge compressor housing and a 3 inch/4 bolt DP outlet...is going to make it "harder" to put in. You're going to most likely have to make a new DP and match it up to the existing exhaust...get couplers/reducers/adapters for the stock 2 inch IC piping to go into that 4 inch inlet....ETC

There can be a little more to it than just bolting on a new turbo. That said, if your stock turbo isn't burning oil or making noise, and your engine isn't either, you can get a bit more boost out of the stock turbo. You should make sure you have a good "stage 0", or, that worn tune up type parts are replaced. Search this site for stage 0, and also check out peoples different builds. There are answers to all your questions on this site because most have been there, done that.
Or, citing your original post, if you want to know your boost levels while driving, boost gauges are $20 - $30 at the local parts store.

See the bold... :nod:

If you're not looking for 300-500HP worth of snail...
No sense in buying it. You could definitely get away with going with a smaller basic t3/t4 with an approximate 50 trim should do the trick just fine...and get the same job done without as much modification needed to just make the damn thing fit....nevertheless all the other mods you'd have to do to make that 35 you're looking at actually run well on your 242.

Back