• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Road Trip

Tired of your old Subaru leaking oil? We've got the answer! The 1999 SAAB 9-3 has advanced technology to take you across the contiguous states of the U.S. of A.! Working A/C? No! Control of cabin air? Certainly not! Why bring extra oil when you could drive a SAAB? No leaks, no problems - absolute pleasure!

This unique survivor from THE LAST CENTURY has made waves by asserting its dominance in the sedan world - so quirky, yet refined: an absolute pleasure to operate (if you're an engineer). A 5 speed manual transmission shifts as if the linkage is constructed of quail cartilage, receiving power from a massive, bone-shattering 2.0 liter turbocharged SAAB powerplant, with torque steer that will pull you straight over to Canada and back again, depending on the crowning of the road. This monster is faster than a Porsche (losers) 911 from 60-100 mph. Suck on that, Stuttgart!

Imagine now: 2:30 am, Montana wildlands... you're exhausted, and you can't stand to see how much gasoline there is left; the coolant temperature gives you a headache; the turbo gauge taunts you with its inexact proficiency. Engage NIGHT PANEL. Gauges function no longer. Drive in peace. The night becomes you. One button, and you are the master of the highway.

Let SAAB engulf your sensibilities. 500 miles per tank of gas is freedom. 32 miles per gallon. Let the oil refineries quiver knowing your extreme lack of thirst for hydrocarbons. Slay miles with the confidence provided only by 195/60/15 rubber. Body roll becomes you. The brake dust must flow.

Nothing comes close.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PM3woO0AbCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SHUT UP!!

(and get off my lawn)

I was going to post on Monday, since I have made more decisions, like which donuts and bourbon to pack for the trip. BUT now I guess I have to add details...

After putting dad's ashes in Sand Fran, it's Yosemite, stagger stagger crawl to Sandy Eggo, put ashes on the USS Midway (dad's ship from '56-'59), Joshua Tree, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam (while playing Bob Mould on the cassette deck), maybe grand canyon/Zion, Petrified Forest, Albuquerque, Santa Fe/Amarillo because cliches, and Dallas. The rest is still optional. Got a possible bed in Prescott AZ.

If you make it out to the Peninsula on your trip, I'll buy beer, and if you are spending time in the Seattle, a trip to The Flying Heritage Collection is money well spent. Especially if it's a flying day.

Yo Hoe

you coming thru the no-coast (Indiana, Ohio, Penn) at all?

the official volvo graveyard is like..40 mins from canton. Plus there is great lakes brewing, Johnny Doughnuts, Pizza Oven Pizza and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland)

Don't know if its been said yet, so I'm sorry if it has....

IPD is having their annual IPD garage sale on June 17th in Portland. Great time and place to meet a lot of other Volvo guys, check out the sales, and find some of those rare parts and toys you've always wanted.

I was trying to explain you to someone at a bar last night. I FAILED.

Are you coming through NW Illinois by any chance?

I'll be on 90 heading through, haven't figured out how far to go in one day, and where to have a gathering. Once I figure out Montana I'll be able to decide.
Might have to do separate threads for each stop if there are lots of people there.

someone looked over my shoulder while I was on the bookface, and said you must be brain dead because #ALLCAPS.
I #CHUCKNORRISED their face without slowing my scroll.

OK, now that school is recertified and shut down, and Eagleman tri is a memory, I'm back to planning.

Do we have any members in Montana?

Buy an annual pass at the very fist national park you go to. It costs $80, but will get you in free at all national parks, monuments, recreation areas, etc. Those are now typically $20 - $25 apiece, so it only takes a few before that $80 is saving you money. Then they're good for a year, expiring at the end of the month you bought it in.
Got my pass in Assateague, so yes, I am adding more little parks, especially after Calgary and Portland. I need to be careful and stick with the schedule, I told Dale I'll be in Calgary the 7th, or if I get behind, the 8th. I see a lot of cool places if I go through Standing Rock on my way to Kalispell.

I assume you're taking a mountain bike? You owe it to yourself to ride some in Moab.
I have decided that I will do another trip through the central states soon, and Moab will be on the list. Thanks.
This time I will probably stick with the Texas return.

Are you coming through NW Illinois by any chance?
I will be on Rt. 90 past Chicago and Rockford, so if you can swing a meet and greet, I'm in.

We've done two road trips so far this year, through Texas and into AZ and NM (lol, the new beater Jetta TDi wagon is so ridiculously cheap to take a road trip in). One early January (started off on 12/31) where we found nice sunny t-shirt backpacking weather waaay down south in Big Bend NP, one on spring break. AZ and NM was neat, Big Bend was neat, but western Texas? Holy crap is that a big place. It just goes on and on. You can put in a solid day of driving and it still looks the same outside the car.

Back