• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Loud clunking from rear over large bumps with other symptoms.

244inLV

So my 1982 244 has developed a nasty clunk from the rear when going over large, steep bumps. In addition to the clunk from the rear, my car has a noticeable side-to-side shaking when accelerating up to about 30mph and a slight shaking at highway speeds that fades in and out rhythmically.

After a cursory inspection of the rear bushings, they don't seem to be in horrible condition, but might be due for a replacement. Would replacing them solve the clunking issue?

And as for the side-to-side and highway vibration, I believe it's a slightly misaligned driveshaft causing the issues. Would replacing the rear bushings help realign the driveshaft, or could it be a transmission mount or a failing driveshaft support bushing?

If it comes to it I'll replace all of the driveline and suspension rubber as money and time permits, but I'd rather save my money and track down the sources of the problems before I drop a few hundred on new bushings. Any help is appreciated!

Torque Rod bushings ?
Trailing Arm bushings ?

On a cursory inspection I didn't notice much wrong. There was a little bit of cracking but nothing that indicated a catastrophic failure. To be fair I only jacked one wheel up since I was on a gravel driveway but I'll take a better look at them tomorrow.

Would bad trailing + torque rod bushings cause that clunk and vibration? Suspension and drivetrain issues aren't an area I have a lot of experience with.

Sounds like you need to get a solid Stage 0 on the suspension and engine/trans mounts. They may not look bad, but they're most likely all original making them 36 years old. They've had a good run. Start building your parts bin to complete the job:
Torque Rod Bushings
Panhard Bar Bushing
Trailing Arm Bushings
Rear Shocks

Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a set of IPD poly front + rear bushings. Hopefully these'll do the job.

Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a set of IPD poly front + rear bushings. Hopefully these'll do the job.

Don't do poly for the trailing arm bushing at the axle. It won't flex/articulate under hard cornering. Use rubber there. Or drop some worthy cash on Ben's TAB bearings.

Back