• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

I'm the producer/inventor of these bushings, there on ebay, or you can pm me;)
Thanks for the feedback, maybe in the future we make an update of these bushings, currently working on big(ger) brake set up for 140/164.

I'm the producer/inventor of these bushings, there on ebay, or you can pm me;)
Thanks for the feedback, maybe in the future we make an update of these bushings, currently working on big(ger) brake set up for 140/164.

Oh really? Got any details to share?

I had a mildy productive Sunday with a friend, who helped me swap the 70+ axle into the 142. I wanted to 4.30's and the newer style wheel bearings are a plus, too. Upon inspection, the wheel bearing looked to be in great shape on the new axle, so I left them alone.

Now that the axle is in it, I can get around to installing the iPD rear sway next weekend. I'm glad to finally have this done.

This will probably be leaking in the next couple hundred miles:

Showing the classicswede.com rear springs, 142E exhaust, and stainless lines:

Finally got the M41 freshened up (new main bearings, etc.) and installed it yesterday. I also replaced the rear main seal with an updated neoprene one, and replaced a clutch that was about 50 miles from complete disintegration. All in all, a good day for the 140.

Last edited:
There's a 69 wagon at a jy near me. The dash is really good shape, just really minor cracks in the corners mostly hidden by the a pillar trim

I found some time to take some photos of the interior, which has been almost completely replaced.

View from passenger side. New front seat covers and lower foam. Door panels are in pretty good shape. The black headrests are from my 144, but I'll either get them recovered to match the seats, or try to find tan vinyl ones:
IMG_4450.JPG

New rear seat covers. The cover for the space below the windshield is out because I'm currently chasing down a leak from the rear windshield seal:
IMG_4455.JPG

Where did you get the new seat foam? I don't see it on the VP website but I want to redo my front seats.

Where did you get the new seat foam? I don't see it on the VP website but I want to redo my front seats.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1401100401

I should note that when I ordered foam, they didn't have an item labeled "front foam, not GL". I ordered upper and lower foam for both front seats, but the upper ones were much too wide. I tried cutting them down, but it didn't work out for me. So, only the lower foam is new in my front seats. I'd definitely talk to Mattias at VP when you order.

Lookin good. I have a m41 now I need to figure out.

Where did you yet that exhaust?

I've only had the M41 in for 12 hours now, but it's already one of the best mods I've done. Cruising at freeway speeds almost 1000 rpm lower really changes the car. The swap was really straight forward. Make sure you have the crossmember from the M41 car, as well as the speedo cable (and the 90 degree fitting, ideally), and obviously the driveshaft. I don't know what year your car is, but if it's an early one, you'll need to use the early style driveline support, as the newer one is too wide to fit the narrow tunnel.

This is my exhaust:

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=071K

wow nice. the exhaust looks bigger in the installed pic... mellow sound? mufflers look big.

how are you running the OD? original stalk?

my 144 is a 68. it has a 4.10 diff but everyone seems to think all early 140s came with 4.30s.... later cars had 4.10 for m40

any tips on telling the difference between a early axle and late? i know the drivelines are bigger. i could line up the 71 142e to the 68 144s

I've only had the M41 in for 12 hours now, but it's already one of the best mods I've done. Cruising at freeway speeds almost 1000 rpm lower really changes the car. The swap was really straight forward. Make sure you have the crossmember from the M41 car, as well as the speedo cable (and the 90 degree fitting, ideally), and obviously the driveshaft. I don't know what year your car is, but if it's an early one, you'll need to use the early style driveline support, as the newer one is too wide to fit the narrow tunnel.

This is my exhaust:

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=071K

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1401100401

I should note that when I ordered foam, they didn't have an item labeled "front foam, not GL". I ordered upper and lower foam for both front seats, but the upper ones were much too wide. I tried cutting them down, but it didn't work out for me. So, only the lower foam is new in my front seats. I'd definitely talk to Mattias at VP when you order.

Thanks for the link, I've looked through that site so many times for foam and never been able to see it. How long did the upholstery take to show up after you ordered?

Thanks for the link, I've looked through that site so many times for foam and never been able to see it. How long did the upholstery take to show up after you ordered?

The covers came from Sweden, so it took a couple weeks, if I recall.

wow nice. the exhaust looks bigger in the installed pic... mellow sound? mufflers look big.

how are you running the OD? original stalk?

my 144 is a 68. it has a 4.10 diff but everyone seems to think all early 140s came with 4.30s.... later cars had 4.10 for m40

any tips on telling the difference between a early axle and late? i know the drivelines are bigger. i could line up the 71 142e to the 68 144s

Yeah, the exhaust is really mellow. I think it's really similar to the stock fuel injected car's exhaust. It's not loud at all, but I ran it with only the front muffler the other day and it sounded much sportier.

I'm running the OD off the OE style stalk, no relay. I was going to use a different switch on the dash, but I like having it close to my hand.

The only early/late experience I have is between my 70 and my 68. On those two cars, the drivelines are the same size, but the 70 had the later style center support with the spring on the bottom. The 68 just has a rubber donut around the bearing. I was able to run the old center support and bearing on the driveline, but who knows if it was the original 1970 144 driveline.

The rear axle that came off the 70 has the newer, non-adjustable wheel bearings, but other than that it looks identical. The end play on our 1968 axles is adjustable. Also, my 1968 142 M40 also had 4.10's.

And where is that? I'd love to get a crack-free dash in this thing.

Lake Stevens wa. Maybe greyhound or ups, or if you're not in a hurry, I can meet you somewhere along I5 in late June or early July.
They might crush this week though. I need to call them to make sure

Not much exciting has happened with the 142 lately, as I've been taking care of Stage 0 stuff like oil leaks and massive interior rain water leakage.

One thing I did that vastly improved the night driving experience is get some lights in my GT cluster. My cluster came with no lighting or harness, so I had to wire it up and source bulb sockets. It's not as bright or nice as a Roger P. job, but I ran some warm white LED's in the stock bulb position, and I really like the result.

I like that they are still backlit, like stock - only bright enough to see now. I actually left the lower speedo bulb socket empty so it would better match the tach, and I'm definitely not missing the extra light.

Anyway, just figured I'd share, in case anyone else was looking for gauge lighting options on a budget.

Referenced with stereo deck for brightness:

Back