• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speeduino an alternate to Megasquirt.

Well it's taken me a month and I'm still not running on Microsquirt due to various issues, mostly I think trying to get the lh2 2 distributor to work and 1 bad crimp to the idle valve so far. Hopefully this VW coil fixes my spark problem. I feel so MS challenged since everyone says how easy it is.

Well it's taken me a month and I'm still not running on Microsquirt due to various issues, mostly I think trying to get the lh2 2 distributor to work and 1 bad crimp to the idle valve so far. Hopefully this VW coil fixes my spark problem. I feel so MS challenged since everyone says how easy it is.

The lh 2.2 distro and single coil is by far the easiest path to MS on a redblock

easy or not, with *any* kinda management system there's usually a steep up front learning curve.

I did have it running, idling and driving (not well) on Friday but Saturday brought nosparkatall. I also had a bad/fouled wideband sensor that got replaced Saturday morning, hard for auto tune to do anything without good data. Also moved the IAT to post intercooler pipe and was ready to do some serious tuning then no fire....

I believe Bowling and Grippo take to task the "developers" that take their (B&G) schematics, rearrange them on a different board, call the design their own and then sell them... at least that's how I understand it.... I could be mistaken.

I can understand that as long as it's justified. I'd protect my intellectual property as well.

Andrey is kind of making it sound like they are doing it to anyone and everyone. If there is evidence of this being done just because they can flex some muscle on the newcomers, I'd like to see it.

I can understand that as long as it's justified. I'd protect my intellectual property as well.

Andrey is kind of making it sound like they are doing it to anyone and everyone. If there is evidence of this being done just because they can flex some muscle on the newcomers, I'd like to see it.

Its the open source attitude people have when they start their own projects.

I see it in software all the time.

they only do it to people who "improve the hardware" and then load the megasquirt software on there. The licensing for megasquirt is quite clear on what it can and cannot be used with/on/for.

they wax a bit poetic (and it's also been updated from this as well), but here's the gist:
http://www.megamanual.com/copy.htm

fake edit: here's the current one.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/licenses.pdf

a large part of the driving force behind all of that is to protect the community from diverse and sub-standard product infiltration, as has been the case several times in the past and continues even now.. people do try it all the time.

As far as C&D's to newcomers to the EFI aftermarket, doubt it. the minds behind megasquirt don't seem to have much if any interest beyond features, in other systems and their implementations. In fact, they don't always have much in the way of interest in extending some of the baser functions of the things they *do* have.

TL;DR: they only dispatch C&Ds when folks try to rip their stuff off (normally the software, as they have no exclusivity claim on the hardware they're using lol)

I write code too but I'm kind of curious what you mean by "the open source attitude".

The open source evangelists, who think anything closed source is evil and should be purged from the earth.

That said, back in the day, there were tons of counterfeit and ripoff megasquirt solutions, that ranged from an actual improvement, to downright garbage.

TL;DR: they only dispatch C&Ds when folks try to rip their stuff off (normally the software, as they have no exclusivity claim on the hardware they're using lol)

Makes perfect sense as far as I'm concerned.

The open source evangelists, who think anything closed source is evil and should be purged from the earth.

I'm down with Open Source but closed source has it's place.

In some places however (operating systems, database servers, languages, browsers), it's the best thing to ever happen.

But a purge? That's a bit much. :lol:

That said, back in the day, there were tons of counterfeit and ripoff megasquirt solutions, that ranged from an actual improvement, to downright garbage.

Sounds like there still are. :lol:

Makes perfect sense as far as I'm concerned.

I'm down with Open Source but closed source has it's place.

In some places however (operating systems, database servers, languages, browsers), it's the best thing to ever happen.

But a purge? That's a bit much. :lol:

Sounds like there still are. :lol:

I <3 open source.

I don't think there is anything stopping you from "improving the hardware".

Until you try to sell it......

Im pretty dang sure you can do anything you want with your own stuff.

The minute you go to market with it you are berkleying wrong. As it should be.

I don't think there is anything stopping you from "improving the hardware".

Until you try to sell it...

I was told by people I trust this is not how it works. I have not got any communication from B&G personally and I'd rather not share more details - just say that words "patent infringement" were there. Which brings us to

http://www.google.com/patents/US7313474
http://www.google.com/patents/US7369933
http://www.google.com/patents/US7421329

"The present invention provides an engine controller that is: more cost effective because of its low parts count due to integrated technology; simpler to install because of its generic design and flexible software, allowing it to be used with all models and makes of engines from motorcycles to trucks, even or odd number of cylinders, and regardless of the experience of the end user. The design is also more reliable because of several software algorithms that will be described."

I am definitely not qualified to understand this, but there is an opinion that this is a very vague troll patent.

there are opinions on a number of things. if you read all the way, there are a number of other prior arts referenced in the patent(s).

suffice to say, they do not want a bunch of little "sort of different" clones running around with their software on it causing even more problems for the community at large than it brings upon itself by the very nature of what it is. It doesn't really matter what the opinions about it are, without any patent at all, they have no control whatsoever on their stuff... Hate it if you don't like it. the rules are pretty lax, you just don't get to rip it off for free.

Hello. This is my first post on this forum, and I'll probably disappear shortly. However I wanted to comment as it will likely answer the stuff above.

The fellow who was looking for gerbers, and BOM, for Frankenso look here.
https://sourceforge.net/p/rusefi/co...e/rusefi_hardware_history/frankenso_rev00.40/

Please note that R0.5 is still in development, and R0.4 is currently the most used version. Development has been slowing as the changes from R0.4 to R0.5 are fairly minor. Also please note that the assembled boards have been much more successful projects. We have had very few people assemble there own boards successfully. Neither of the primary developers at rusEFI have hand built these boards. If you hand assemble please document the effort and update the wiki. We would be happy to see this better documented, but we do not have the pictures, and such to do it ourselves.

I wanted to chime in as I have been personally threatened by Bruce. I do not participate in any kind of clone, either software or hardware. I know others have had similar issues to what I had. In my case, the threats were not C+D, but it was vague claims of patent infringement, even though I do not MFG hardware. It sounded like a C+D was coming, so I stopped e-mailing and the problem seems to have gone away. That was many years ago, and I do not have negative feelings over it. I understand the desire to protect the product. I see Bruce's reactions as normal, and expected for a closed project.

I'm one of the primary developers at rusEFI. I'm a big fan of open source, and do not have any biffs with people who try to make money with closed projects. I have learned allot from open source projects which allows me to learn low level details, and I want to give back to the community which has given me so much. I'm all for people getting stuff out there, and MS has gotten functional systems in the hands of many people, which is great. However just like a mac isn't for everyone, a closed systems is also not for everyone.

In my case I want to do some science experiments, and if these crazy crack pot ideas work, they could have some very important impacts. I don't want the risks of entanglements caused by the MS licencing. So I look for an open system, which will not have those issues.

This thread was about Speeduino, which is also a great effort, and I'm glad to see he's doing some cool stuff. I have offered him advice on how to make things more robust. I hope he does well with his efforts. However I generally feel that for low cost hobby ECU's, that rusEFI has hit the major features that people are looking for in hobby projects.

Also note the rusEFI hardware design intent is posted here, feel free to comment if these specs are missing something. Also if you know how to verify if the intent was upheld, feel free to let me know. I'd really like to see if I was successful in hitting these goals.
http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware

Also the history of the board / dirty laundry is here. Feel free to tell me it sucks, and give me specifics. I once got a complaint that the original regulator would not up hold load dumps per ISO blah blah blah. So I made a bunch of changes and I believe it now upholds that ISO specification.
https://sourceforge.net/p/rusefi/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/hardware/frankenso/known_issues.txt

Can anyone tell me when MS changed the IAT resistor from 2.2k to 2.7k? Also can you tell me why it changed? I feel it's important to post this kind of history such that existing hardware can be corrected and verified. This is why I post the known_issues.txt log. It lets people know what is changing, and they can verify if these changes happened to their boards.

I know that davebmw once had some issues with MS. He was not able to post that in MS forums, so he posted his suggestions here.
http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=285&start=12

Any how that's enough for a first post. Keep doing cool things.

Hello. This is my first post on this forum, and I'll probably disappear shortly. However I wanted to comment as it will likely answer the stuff above.

The fellow who was looking for gerbers, and BOM, for Frankenso look here.
https://sourceforge.net/p/rusefi/co...e/rusefi_hardware_history/frankenso_rev00.40/

Please note that R0.5 is still in development, and R0.4 is currently the most used version. Development has been slowing as the changes from R0.4 to R0.5 are fairly minor. Also please note that the assembled boards have been much more successful projects. We have had very few people assemble there own boards successfully. Neither of the primary developers at rusEFI have hand built these boards. If you hand assemble please document the effort and update the wiki. We would be happy to see this better documented, but we do not have the pictures, and such to do it ourselves.

I wanted to chime in as I have been personally threatened by Bruce. I do not participate in any kind of clone, either software or hardware. I know others have had similar issues to what I had. In my case, the threats were not C+D, but it was vague claims of patent infringement, even though I do not MFG hardware. It sounded like a C+D was coming, so I stopped e-mailing and the problem seems to have gone away. That was many years ago, and I do not have negative feelings over it. I understand the desire to protect the product. I see Bruce's reactions as normal, and expected for a closed project.

I'm one of the primary developers at rusEFI. I'm a big fan of open source, and do not have any biffs with people who try to make money with closed projects. I have learned allot from open source projects which allows me to learn low level details, and I want to give back to the community which has given me so much. I'm all for people getting stuff out there, and MS has gotten functional systems in the hands of many people, which is great. However just like a mac isn't for everyone, a closed systems is also not for everyone.

In my case I want to do some science experiments, and if these crazy crack pot ideas work, they could have some very important impacts. I don't want the risks of entanglements caused by the MS licencing. So I look for an open system, which will not have those issues.

This thread was about Speeduino, which is also a great effort, and I'm glad to see he's doing some cool stuff. I have offered him advice on how to make things more robust. I hope he does well with his efforts. However I generally feel that for low cost hobby ECU's, that rusEFI has hit the major features that people are looking for in hobby projects.

Also note the rusEFI hardware design intent is posted here, feel free to comment if these specs are missing something. Also if you know how to verify if the intent was upheld, feel free to let me know. I'd really like to see if I was successful in hitting these goals.
http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware

Also the history of the board / dirty laundry is here. Feel free to tell me it sucks, and give me specifics. I once got a complaint that the original regulator would not up hold load dumps per ISO blah blah blah. So I made a bunch of changes and I believe it now upholds that ISO specification.
https://sourceforge.net/p/rusefi/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/hardware/frankenso/known_issues.txt

Can anyone tell me when MS changed the IAT resistor from 2.2k to 2.7k? Also can you tell me why it changed? I feel it's important to post this kind of history such that existing hardware can be corrected and verified. This is why I post the known_issues.txt log. It lets people know what is changing, and they can verify if these changes happened to their boards.

I know that davebmw once had some issues with MS. He was not able to post that in MS forums, so he posted his suggestions here.
http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=285&start=12

Any how that's enough for a first post. Keep doing cool things.

This is cool, after reading everything about ruseefi. I think I want to put together a speeduino. and then when i run into limitations then upgrade to a rusefi. The idea is to show my students about electronics and engines. In a sort of scientific way. I first need to look and compare the costs and difficultt of putting the boards together.

Thanks for the BOM and the Gerbers for the frankenso. I looked at it. I wouldnt be able to put it together.

I think someone should go to every forum on the web come up with a list of group buys or start a kickstarter and have some chinese company print and assemble these complex boards for a really low price.

Does that exist? I havent been able to find a RusEfi for less than 400 dollars which is more than the ms....

I may be wrong or didnt look hard enough.

Let me know if there is better assembled frankedenso boards out there

The idea is to show my students about electronics and engines. In a sort of scientific way.

Tell me more about your students and the available teaching time. MS is a well proven and refined product, especially for the most basic "squirt and spark" setups. There's a huge amount of teaching opportunities here. For instance, demonstrate and log the results of varying any of the different terms in the Fueling Equation - http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mfuel.htm#equation

I'm worried that while speeduino (fka kartduino) is built off of the more familiar Arduino environment, that the actual ECU development is a few years behind what MS-1 offers.

[Do speeduino or rusefi have standard logging capabilities? MS and FreeEMS certainly do. This would be essential for teaching in a classroom.]

If you'd like to start with a simple setup, but keep the options open for future features, start with an assemble-it-yourself MS II 3.0 PCB, but a cheaper MS 1 CPU chip. Use your existing distributor, coil, and ignition module. You can run either the B&G firmware or the MSextra1 firmware and learn all the basics. In the future, you can upgrade to a MS 2 CPU board to get more features.

[For the rusefi folks - it's great that you're using a lightweight RTOS, especially for open source development with vastly different talent levels. But I gotta say that one of my pet peeves is schematics that use flying/hidden connections -- please take the time to draw every wire, and even list the connecting pages -- everyone, other than the original designer, will thank you for your efforts.]

Back