• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Porsche Brembo "monoblock" conversion

TheBMEPDr said:
Hello Folks,
I'm well aware of the fact that I'm a "newbie" in your wonderful forum and perhaps my eyes are deceptive in attempting to retrieve worthwhile information in reference to "Big Binders" (brakes) utilizing the "search function".

This is quite odd...I'd think that vehicles with (relatively) prodigious performance capabilities, especially considering substantial "mass in motion" would have a myriad of sources to choose from in this vital area. Can anyone steer me in the proper direction? The reason for my querry is simple...At DME...(Deutschmarque Engineering) we believe that a symbiotic relationship between all vehicular dynamics MUST exist...Velocity/acceleration, directional change behavior, as well as braking capabilities should all coincide..One, without the others, is just not a dynamically balanced platform, or, "ergodynamically correct". At DME we've engineered various braking systems based on proven Porsche "monoblock" caliper/rotor units for many other makes...Nothing new, many others have...Question is....why no Volvos?

Thanks for any responses in advance..

All of the aftermarket companies trampled over themselves in a mad rush to make high performance parts for the very, very few owners of 10 to 20 year old Volvo family cars who wanted better brakes. Many of the current owners of these cars are high school and college kids whose parents gave them the cars, and have limited budgets. If someone put together a Porsche monoblock brake kit for $250, there might be a surprising amount of sales. If the price is $1,250 or more, expect few sales.

A few of the serious racers, show car people, and sophisticated project people have done one off brake conversions. I'll probably get around to this project next year. I don't race and better brakes have not been a high priority for me. If there is a reasonably priced kit around, I would certainly consider it. Otherwise, I'll probably consult with Wilwood and put one together myself. We have a BMW 635 with Wilwood front and rear brakes and it stops well, and I know of at least two people with Wilwoods on Volvos who race. I would be interested in dropping some unsprung weight through aluminum rotor hats and calipers.

Philip Bradley

This is a good thread

This is great to have interest by Joe! I hope something can come of this because with all these guys making 300hp Volvos. There is a need for better brakes. I'd also be interested in improving my brakes to another level. To have more choices would only help all of us enthusiasts. If there was an adapter to mount the stock front calipers to a larger rotor with an aluminum hat to save weight would be a big help. I don't know if that can be done but it's a thought I had for affordable better brakes.

There is hp in the turns and one of the ways to get it is to be able to slow down faster.

Best regards,

control arms?

Just a reminder, if you are upgrading the front braking power on your 240, you MUST reinforce the front control arms, or they WILL bend, and jeopardize your handling performance. Ask John Lane about bent control arms! He bent the arms on his rally car, while braking in GRAVEL!!! I am surprised that Mr. Barton has not had problems with this yet!

Just something to consider, that when you put more force on the brakes, this transfers to the control arms, the bushings, the bearings, and so on. Got poly bushings yet? It's time. Also, weld up those control arms!

Eric

I'd like to thank all of you for your responses and efforts in posting photos. I realise the Volvo aftermarket performance arena isn't saturated with the veritable cornucopia of choices pertaining to upgrading performance, at least, not to the same degree as many other marques. I'll research the market a bit more diligently to determine the feasibility of our possible involvement in the future. Engineering firms/manufacturers have an invaluable resource in reference to the ability of "surveying" the market place via the internet and gaining valuable input and feedback from wonderful people like you....

Joe

Last edited:
Snoop Dougy Doug said:
Nick, the car stops unbelieveably hard. Theres NO reason to upgrade the rears.
yeah, but think about how cool that would look!

My buddy who just raced in The Players Run with his 800hp (now 1000hp) porsche turbo had the 6 piston porsche/brembo race brakes front and rear. that thing does 250mph! 0-200-0mph in less than a mile!

I was thinking on a 600hp turbo volvo, the rears would be nice to have as well.

nico

Last edited:
TRBO242 said:
yeah, but think about how cool that would look!

My buddy who just raced in The Players Run with his 800hp (now 1000hp) porsche turbo had the 6 piston porsche/brembo race brakes front and rear. that thing does 250mph! 0-200-0mph in less than a mile!

I was thinking on a 600hp turbo volvo, the rears would be nice to have as well.

nico

True, but as I've explained:

First, you can't easily adapt S60R rear discs. The do not have the provisions for the 240 style handbrake (inside the disc on a 240). Secondly, the rear discs are already quite large. Dave B has seen exceptional balance with his setup. Third, because of the lack of a handbrake, Im pretty sure that the discs wont sit far enough back to sit in the original position (from outside in). Also, because the rear discs are larger, that means the caliper was further out. There MAY not be enough room to make an effective adapter bracket.

I have Porsche/Brembo C-2 calipers on the rear of my ride. I don't have issues with fade in the rear. Fade WAS an issue with stock calipers & rotors with the wancy brake pads and fluid.
I had them on the front before swapping to the Gp-A Cossie front suspension and the monster AP calipers and rotors that went along with that.
In the rear I used the front rotors as installed on the front of the 740 turbo with 16" wheels, cut down to size. The calipers worked well except that the external cross-over pipes were too easily damaged with rocks. It is a rallycar. This would not really be an issue with a streetcar.
I use the hydraulic handbrake and do not worry about having an "E-Brake." Just turn the wheel into the curb when parking and leave it in gear or "P."
You all know what I think of bigger brakes. Ask HER. If she is not lying she WILL tell you that size matters. She is right. Bigger is certainly better.
John Lane.

TRBO242 said:

nico

I'm very familiar with the Porsche ceramic composite brake systems (PCCB) and yes, they truly are awe-inspiring. One caveat though...These are proprietary Porsche components, developed by Porsche not Brembo...Brembo, in this case WILL be offering a ceramic rotor (under license from Porsche) at which time the costs will decline from approximately 10k (w.d.) 14k retail to 6500 usd or so (w.d.).. BTW, this is the cost of rotors only. Calipers being, of course, the 6 piston (Brembo) units identical to the ferrous rotor counterpart. I'm assuming it is this system you're referring to.

On another note.... 1000 Hp?...are you certain of that output figure, or is it perhaps rhetorical hyperbole being "tossed around in the pits" ?

turbobrick211 said:
Just a reminder, if you are upgrading the front braking power on your 240, you MUST reinforce the front control arms, or they WILL bend, and jeopardize your handling performance. Ask John Lane about bent control arms! He bent the arms on his rally car, while braking in GRAVEL!!! I am surprised that Mr. Barton has not had problems with this yet!

Just something to consider, that when you put more force on the brakes, this transfers to the control arms, the bushings, the bearings, and so on. Got poly bushings yet? It's time. Also, weld up those control arms!

Eric

tubular a arms

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
31230849.jpg

31230851.jpg

31230855.jpg

330X28mm brembo discs, Brembo 4pots no more than 1k installed (even on the high side).

That's a pretty sweet deal. That being said, Im ALL for new comers and innovation in brick tuning. Personally, I was looking into 6pots just because I can ;-)

Nick, the car stops unbelieveably hard. Theres NO reason to upgrade the rears.

There is EVERY reason to upgrade the rear, rather than me spending ages typing at my error prone snails pace I'll copy / paste an article i wrote for the Supra MKIV twin turbo forum I am active on, and on which cars I spend a lot of time doing serious mods to.

Brake upgrades can set out to try to achieve several objectives.
The commonest are to increase resistance to fade and or increase
braking effort for a given pedal effort. IE, the pads are
pushed against the discs harder for a given pedal effort than
before the upgrade, or the brakes will stop the car from 100 MPH,
hard, for more times before fade sets in, than previously. The feel
from the pedal, that almost intangible quality, can also be addressed
and sometimes improved upon by brake size, or pad material changes, or
brake flexi hose upgrades to something less squashy than rubber.
It's easy to get carried away by the thought of brake upgrades.
The limitation in most cars as to how short a distance they can
stop in is tyre friction. Leaving aside pedal feedback, and fade,
it is almost certain that a Supra on stock Jap spec brakes will
stop in just as short a distance as one with an AP six pot kit on
it, a Brembo kit, Pauls KAD kit, or whatever. It may not feel to
the driver that it does, but usually such is the case if you just
nail the pedal as hard as you can. The fancy kits may *FEEL* to
stop the car faster, due to less pedal effort, and a better bite,
but in reality, if you hit the pedal as hard as you can with stock
Jap spec brakes, UK spec brakes, AP kit, KAD, whatever, the car
will stop in the same distance. Repeat this test 10 times and stock
Jap brakes may be on fire and long since faded, or the fluid boiled,
UK ones may be very hot and bothered, but the upgraded ones will
probably still be working within pad, disc and brake fluid temp
limits. Add in the intangible "feel" factor, and a desire to brake
as hard as possible, using as little skill as possible, but WITHOUT
relying on the ABS to take over, and for sure a well set up brake
upgrade may well allow more finesse.

Herein though lies the rub.

Upgrade only the fronts and the brake balance of the stock car may
well be compromised. Let's take stock brakes. You press smoothly on
the brake pedal with (say) 50 pounds force. The car stops fine. 70
pounds, the fronts are just beginning to lock (car makers ALWAYS aim
for the fronts to lock first, as rear wheel lock makes the car very
unstable and liable to swap ends). The rears are doing as much work
as the brake engineers deemed safe to prevent premature rear lock up.
The ABS cuts in, and maximum retardation has been reached. Now, take
a car with big front discs and calipers. Only 40 pounds pressure now
gives a smooth, lock free and powerful retardation. 50 pounds and the
new, more powerful, (for the same pedal pressure), fronts are locking.
The ABS cuts in. BUT, and this is the crux, those original rear
calipers and discs are still well below the caliper pressure where
they are able to achieve maximum retardation without fear of the
rears locking.

In other words the FRONT brakes are doing TOO MUCH work, albeit without
breaking into a sweat, and the rears are, to exaggerate a bit,
just along for the ride. The BEST scenario is to upgrade front AND
rear brakes, carefully ensuring the original balance of effort at any
given brake pedal pressure remains as designed, but that the more efficient
front AND rear brakes stay cooler for more hard stops, and that old
intangible "feel" from the brake pedal is improved, at lower rates of
driver effort on the pedal. The latter may or may not be good or
desirable, and can be engineered out by changing BOTH front and rear
caliper piston sizes, or pad areas. In a race car the balance would
be adjustable via 2 brake master cylinders, with a driver selectable
change in mechanical leverage effort between front and rear brake circuits,
one cylinder operating the front brake calipers, the other the rear. This
can also be achieved on road cars, but to do so is usually complex and
expensive, especially if ABS and brake circuit failure safeguards are to be
maintained. It is far easier to calculate the caliper and disc sizes, along with
pad area and compound to achieve this, as near as available off the
shelf equipment will allow.

Caveat. I said before makers engineer more effort on the front brakes to
encourage straight line stopping if the tyres are locked up . They err on
the excessive side, as, in the wet, the rear tyres can take a lot more
braking effort than in the dry, due to less weight transfer onto the front
tyres, as they will lock before as much weight is transferred when the grip
of the road surface is reduced. So adding yet more front brake effort worsens
this existing imbalance, especially in the wet. If it were not for the
ABS the front wheels would be locking up very early. On the Supra a
relatively sophisticated ABS allows some effort to be taken off JUST
the fronts, and an artificial and very inefficient balance is returned.
On cars with lesser (1 or 2 channel) ABS, or no ABS at all, a brake
upgrade on just one end of the car can be lethal.

Agreed ,

And if youve been through the maths when doing it , youll know that on a road car 80% front and 20% rear braking effort will be gained , it all depends on the cars static weight distribution and the transfer that occurs during weight transfer through the suspension .

Of course it all hinges on the CofG , so if you have a lowered car , this may affect your brake balance aswell. You can only stop as good as the tyres will allow and the road friction at the time and if at any time during braking that surface friction changes between front and rear thats when your in trouble , ie the wet .

AS some guys have said , they found good balance , perhaps they drive on dry roads all the time , found a good pad setup which balances everything , perhaps they like the feeling of the rears imminently going to break away .

I shall be doing this porsche caliper conversion with some 302mm discs , just as soon as i can afford some 16s , and my buddy comes round with a set for ?100 .

Fine Chris go ahead and figure out how to do it. Im telling you there ISN'T a need OR an easy way to do it (and keep atleast the handbrake) on a 240 with out some serious custom custom custom work.

The rear brakes are bigger than the fronts anyways.

I've been driving around w/ my set up, the car is extremely balanced, it STILL locks the rears if your on it hard enough the last 15mph (from 120-0). Why upgrade the rears? SO they can lock more? That makes alot of sense.

I'll throw my wilwood valve on the rears, knock the rear pressure down a bit and Ill be more than willing to bet that the car will have perfectly balanced braking.

Its one thing to argue w/ someone and post some crap you found else where (not saying that was crap info just saying) its another to argue w/ someone who's ACTUALLY DONE THE MOD. Dave, Paul and I all have had extremely sastifactory results w/ the brake upgrades.

"its another to argue w/ someone who's ACTUALLY DONE THE MOD."

Welcome to my world bro... ;-)
I think that the only way to really determine wether or not any certain car will need the rears upgraded as well will depend on the car and the usage and we'll only know with time if there are any situations where the rears need upgrading as well.
I think if they did though upgrading the calipers on the existing rear calipers would be a nice way around a lot of work. If it was deemed necessary at some point.
Not that I don't appreciate the math, but I had every "rocket scientist" on the board trying to prove I wouldn't get any boost for 5 minutes after I hit WOT with the powerstroke ic. :roll:

Green Death said:
I think that the only way to really determine wether or not any certain car will need the rears upgraded as well will depend on the car and the usage and we'll only know with time if there are any situations where the rears need upgrading as well.

The only solution I can see for fitting larger rear brakes is to have custom hats made which will replicate the handbrake drum in the center. Of course, this would be pretty expensive.

I try to gauge a modification's value based on cost verus performance gain. The cost can be known in advance, but the performance gain is not always knowable. Based on this, I can say the overall value of the R brake conversion has been phenominal... one of the best mods I have ever done to my 245. The problem I have with going with custom rear brakes now is I fear that there will be very little modification value to go along with the very high cost. I have other areas of attention that I could more wisely spend that money.
Dave B.

big brakes

Another consideration for bigger or better rear rotors would be to try to adapt Porsche ones. They use the large hat for the handbrake like Volvo does. I don't know if they fit. But you can get vented rear rotors for 911s. I know Porsche used the handbrake hat setup at least until the late 80s. There are lots of performance parts for those years. Just a suggestion to look into.

hey ,

wasnt knocking it at all , and kenny i never knocked ya powerstroke ! - sometoimes its wise to do some groundwork so you dont run into problems. the rears should never lock before the fronts .

like dave said i don't think it's so wise to upgrade the rears. it would be very expensive. roughly 70% of the brakeing is done by front brakes, so in theroy enless is was 70% cheaper i woulden't be worth it. haveing the heavy 1 peice rotor is bad enuogh in the front. think about haveing a big rotor on the drive wheels? just whole lot of unsprung weight that very expensive and dosen't do that much.

i think we need someone to get hard test numbers! (I.E. several 60 to zero to stops in a row with bolth break on the same pads(or close) and on the same rims on the same car) these brakes seem very promiseing and im a beliver. but i think it's hard to justify doing it enless there's hard numbers that there worth the $ or i can feel it for myself(whitch i can't since no one around here has done it yet). while it still is a GREAT deal for brakes of the're caliber it's still a crap load of money none the less that for most of are projects could be spent effectively else where.

vurbo said:
haveing the heavy 1 peice rotor is bad enuogh in the front. think about haveing a big rotor on the drive wheels? just whole lot of unsprung weight that very expensive and dosen't do that much.

I beg to differ..........The Porsche calipers are of aluminum. Lighter then the steel of OE. The vented rotors when on aluminum hats are a net of *Ding-ding-ding!!* the SAME WEIGHT!!! Add two pounds for cut down vented rotors as installed in the front of the 740 turbo with 16" wheels. Have you weighed your wancy 24" wheel and tire combo and compared with the as standard 15" tire and wheel the car came with? I promise that your wancy tire and wheel combo added a LOT more unsprung weight to the equasion then bigger brakes.

Reality here is that we all need as much brakes as we drive the car for. Just out stylin? Then you don't need bigger brakes. If you are driving it hard enough to make 'em fade EVER...........Then you need bigger brakes. I made my OE brakes fade (front and rear) with racing brake pads and high temp fluid in fairly sporty driving on the street with 150 horses. It was utterly hopeless with stock size rotors and calipers in the rallycar.

worth the $ or i can feel it for myself(whitch i can't since no one around here has done it yet). .

Uh......I have the Porsche stuff in the rear of my car. This is a worthwhile improvement over stock.

If you have never made your stock rear brakes fade you are not driving hard enough!! Heehee

JL.

JohnLane said:
Uh......I have the Porsche stuff in the rear of my car. This is a worthwhile improvement over stock.

If you have never made your stock rear brakes fade you are not driving hard enough!! Heehee

JL.

but you have a rally car! you atleast need an upgraded E-brake right?

Back