• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DET17's "Project cheap thrills" - '92 944T

Christmas coilovers

Months ago I purchased the full set of F & R coilover conversion parts from Kaplhenke Racing. Due to this unprecedented year, zero progress has occurred until now. I finally have earned a long stretch of downtime between Xmas and NY weekends, so with the wife out of town a few days, a perfect opportunity presented itself to build these and get them installed into the 940.

And here it begins:

Roy was nice enough to harvest a PNW set of front struts to fit my needs. I'll transfer the 150K mile bearings from my current struts over to this set after modification, so these were truly just cores to start the process. After a lengthy discussion with Ben, I decided there was no need for short struts in my Gpa application..... he was helpful in selecting the best spring rates for my KONI Sports, as well as my age & DD service application. The actual rates I am using a posted earlier in this build thread.

I cut off the original spring perches using a METABO metal slicer disc, installed on my 4" MAKITA side grinder:

Public Service WARNING: The use of such metal slicers is inherently dangerous! I always try to put the work being carved into a vice to hold it fast. The composite nature of the METABO discs are such that they will easily cut your fingers & thumb off even while coasting to a stop. NEVER cut metal with this tool, unless you keep BOTH HANDS firmly attached to the grinder! If your work moves/jumps/flies, then LET IT GO..... your safety is what matters, and you can always get another widget to carve, but nearly no one get's their digits reinstalled. A slice from this disc and you'll bleed out quick! You have been warned........a healthy amount of fear and respect for this tool will keep you safe. Of course, always use the right PPE which includes impact resistant safety glasses/face shield, and DB cancelling ear muffs.

As you can see, I made an octogon-like series of cuts plunging thru the OE spring perch, which is heavier steel than I thought it would be. Volvo did a helluva job when these were welded to the strut tubes. Once the spring perch was cut clear and gone, it was then time to grind the OE welds off the OD of the strut tube. For this task I used the same 4" MAKITA grinder with the appropriate grinding wheel installed. I've got to say, if you are going to hot rod cars and fabricate/destroy metal, there is really not another tool as useful as this baby. I put my Dad's old giant vice to use (someday to be mounted onto my yet to be built welding table). The grinder reasonably took the welds off of the tubes and down to flush.... use restraint, because it is easy to go too far and take steel out of the strut tube that should remain. I used a 6" straight edge to check the progress as I went, and finally fit checked the BNE threaded coilover adjustment sleeve.

With the original welds gone, I needed to locate the positions of the new stop rings which come with the conversion kit. These are 1/8" thick steel steel tubing, matching the wall thickness of the strut tube. Here I locate the stop of the threaded sleeve 1" below the strut top as Ben recommended, and then marked the tube for the location of the welded stop ring:

These strut tubes have a nice layer of plating on them that needs to come off if you want full strength welds. I have used acid for this task, but was out of stock. Plan B was to use a drill motor and a 60 grit flapper disc..... takes some time but you can clearly see when you have gone thru the plating (it's thick) and have reached the steel. I only buffed out about a half inch width of plating, plenty of room for my MIG machine to do it's job:

With the plating gone, I fitted things back up again and tacked these stop rings 180* apart. Finally I turned loose my Millermatic 220V machine on the rings. Settings were around 4.5 voltage and 55 feed rate of the .030 wire. My welds are never going to make Nathan envious (he was/is the MAN), but I know these won't fall off either!

With the welding complete, you can see the fit checked assemblies. I still have to put self etching primer and paint where the old welds were removed, and my rust proofing 395A around the stop ring and welds that will be directly exposed to road grit and water.

Next up: get the old Swede up on stands are remove the front struts to transplant all my parts into these coilover-ready struts. Won't be long now!

I've never had any problems with the "wheel of death"....

wheelofdeath.jpg

But I did have some trouble with the downpipe I was fitting! :-P

....Look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it rides.

I am extremely curious to know that very thing! I've convinced myself (right or wrong) that my KONI Sports require more spring rate. All of the data I have been able to uncover points to this...... with threads in North America and Europa all indicating that these front strut dampers are suited for 250 to 325 lbf/in of spring rate. I know that my B&G Progressives are most likely ~175 lbf/in rate range (at best) and well under the target. Add to the that the inevitable 7/9 series "lean" which is probably due to the battery and fuel being located on the driver side of the vehicle... which complete the argument for adjustable suspension. For the record, my front struts are set at 1 and the rears at 2 for rebound damping.

If I can get work to leave me alone today, I hope to have the original struts removed and the front conversion moving right along.

Ben warned me that the rear springs he provided might be a "bit tall" so we will have to see once those are ride height checked. Worst case, I do the rear twice and will have to ship the springs I have back to him for exchange for the next step in overall length.

Stay tuned!

Out with the old, in with the new.....

Yesterday I removed the front struts for the GOD knows how many-eth time. I'm determined that this will be the last time.

No surprises in disassembly.... with the lowering springs (these B&G are supposedly 40mm shorter than stock sedan springs) you just disconnect the top hat in the strut towers, and I removed the 16mm hex cap screws that attach the KAPLHENKE QSRC's to the original strut. Disconnect your brakes which I zip tied to the lower stay rods, and remove the wheel sensors for the antilock system. Here they are, heading for the work bench:

Once out, installed my spring compressors on the B&G spring. While shorter than stock, there is still some preload in the nut where the KONI Sport is attached to my BNE Select top camber plates. Safety first!

Here is a comparison of the new Eibach 250# x 12inch free length, compared to the removed B&G. Considerably more compact with these "beehive" springs:

Although it is tight, the OE bump stops for my KONIs along with the debris shield do fit inside these springs that Ben offers. You must insert the pieces separately and then rejoin inside the spring.

Tomorrow I'll assemble these new coilover front struts, and begin reinstallation. I realized that I don't own a pin type spanner wrench needed to adjust these. It appears that a 1/4" / 6mm pin type hook spanner that will fit an 88mm OD adjuster is needed. Searching eBay now, as I doubt I'll find one at an autoparts store in these parts. I don't think Ben supplies this wrench...... will search thru the box again to be sure..... but I doubt I'll find it there.

Tomorrow I'll assemble these new coilover front struts, and begin reinstallation. I realized that I don't own a pin type spanner wrench needed to adjust these. It appears that a 1/4" / 6mm pin type hook spanner that will fit an 88mm OD adjuster is needed. Searching eBay now, as I doubt I'll find one at an autoparts store in these parts. I don't think Ben supplies this wrench...... will search thru the box again to be sure..... but I doubt I'll find it there.

Are you talking about the koni spanner? If so we sell them

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/individual-components-parts/products/koni-gland-nut-spanner-tool

It sounds like you are talking about the main lower spring perch, do you have so much preload that you can't adjust it by hand?

Last edited:
It sounds like you are talking about the main lower spring perch, do you have so much preload that you can't adjust it by hand?

Yes indeed. I was able to adjust by the bottom spring perch/adjuster hand as you state..... I didn't know that was easy without a tool, as this was my first application of your parts. The detail pics will be up soon.

Hi Duane, I'm happy to see that you've not sell this car !

I regret mine almost every day...

Thanks! I've not sold yet, but that point is under contentious consideration.....

GLAD to hear from you, hope life is treating you well in Switzerland :nod:

Coilover construction & installation

OK, we begin on the trusty workbench. After protecting the welded stop rings with 395A metal preservative, the adjustment sleeves are fitted and then the KONI gland nuts installed. I always have used Loctite BLUE to make sure the gland nuts don't self disassemble. You can see my KONI nut installation pin spanner, an 18" aluminum version :-P It's not hard to tell when they are tight enough.... don't go full neanderthal as the gas damper is bottomed hard into the strut housing. I choked up on the pipe wrench so not to over torque.... there are NOT that many threads on the KONI gland nuts.

Here is the assembled front strut on the bench. I adjusted the bottom spring perch/adjuster to the "free length" of the 12 inch x 250#/in. Eibach barrel spring. Looks pretty darn tall!

As it turns out, that "free length" adjusted position is too long to allow fitment. I had both LCA's unbolted from their rubber mounts (17/18mm hex) so they would rotate freely downward. I started with the sway bar end links bolted to the LCA..... but that restricts rotation angle. Ended up removing the sway end link bolts, which then allowed the LCA to rotate far enough to get the struts onto the QSRC's for attachment. This pic shows the bolts installed into the QSRC and torqued to factory specs: start at 22 lb.ft. torque, then angle tighten 90*. You can see my sharpie lines showing outboard direction; I use a straight edge to draw a line across both of the hex cap screw heads centerline, extend the line up the hex, and use that as a visual indicator when the 90* angle has been reached. You will need an extension on your 1/2" breaker bar and 16mm socket..... don't try this with a 12 pt. socket as you likely will split it applying this torque! It takes a pretty healthy grunt to achieve the 90* angle.

I "eyeballed" the BNE Select top mounts into the approximate position where they were prior....nearly 100% of the camber available (there might be 1~2mm max left) BUT favored rearward to increase the caster. I think after this work is completed I will pay for full alignment rather than a DIY version to find out what I've really got for camber & caster. The pair of top mounts are fastened with Ben's supplied lock nuts at 35 lb.ft. Here is what the struts look like adjusted so that the springs are just maintaining full coupling with the top INA bearings:

How about the rear install? Much less work than the fronts, for sure. Disassembly is a piece of cake, just support the car safely on the rear jacking points, and be certain that you don't let the rear end rotate too far and strain your brake hoses on each side. I dropped the KONI rear dampers out and made sure to reset my rebound damping to the minimum position for starters. I next installed the BNE adjusters up against the chassis and used his supplied locknuts. Some minor sheet metal bendage is required in order to get the adjustable top hat UP to the highest position, but they will spin freely downward to raise your vehicle to the desired height. I went with the 13 inch x 175lb/in. rate rear springs on Ben's recommendations.... with the understanding that they could be too long and if needed, exchanged for shorter.

Here is the first 5 inch diameter rear spring installed. The brake line hoses were stretched to their safe limits (I have SS braided lines from FCP Euro I bought 8 years ago, still AOK). I lubricated the bottom rubber spring mount with soapy water after cleaning out all the accumulated grit to allow the spring/mount to float into final position. Here it is:

Now it's time to reinstall the rubber and see if it all plays well together........

Thanks! I've not sold yet, but that point is under contentious consideration.....

GLAD to hear from you, hope life is treating you well in Switzerland :nod:

Happy to see some news of your car and to heat you're well also !

Luckily life is very good for me, I hope the situation with this f...ing pandemia don't affect you and your family !

OK, we begin on the trusty workbench. After protecting the welded stop rings with 395A metal preservative, the adjustment sleeves are fitted and then the KONI gland nuts installed. I always have used Loctite BLUE to make sure the gland nuts don't self disassemble. You can see my KONI nut installation pin spanner, an 18" aluminum version :-P It's not hard to tell when they are tight enough.... don't go full neanderthal as the gas damper is bottomed hard into the strut housing. I choked up on the pipe wrench so not to over torque.... there are NOT that many threads on the KONI gland nuts.

Here is the assembled front strut on the bench. I adjusted the bottom spring perch/adjuster to the "free length" of the 12 inch x 250#/in. Eibach barrel spring. Looks pretty darn tall!

As it turns out, that "free length" adjusted position is too long to allow fitment. I had both LCA's unbolted from their rubber mounts (17/18mm hex) so they would rotate freely downward. I started with the sway bar end links bolted to the LCA..... but that restricts rotation angle. Ended up removing the sway end link bolts, which then allowed the LCA to rotate far enough to get the struts onto the QSRC's for attachment. This pic shows the bolts installed into the QSRC and torqued to factory specs: start at 22 lb.ft. torque, then angle tighten 90*. You can see my sharpie lines showing outboard direction; I use a straight edge to draw a line across both of the hex cap screw heads centerline, extend the line up the hex, and use that as a visual indicator when the 90* angle has been reached. You will need an extension on your 1/2" breaker bar and 16mm socket..... don't try this with a 12 pt. socket as you likely will split it applying this torque! It takes a pretty healthy grunt to achieve the 90* angle.

I "eyeballed" the BNE Select top mounts into the approximate position where they were prior....nearly 100% of the camber available (there might be 1~2mm max left) BUT favored rearward to increase the caster. I think after this work is completed I will pay for full alignment rather than a DIY version to find out what I've really got for camber & caster. The pair of top mounts are fastened with Ben's supplied lock nuts at 35 lb.ft. Here is what the struts look like adjusted so that the springs are just maintaining full coupling with the top INA bearings:

How about the rear install? Much less work than the fronts, for sure. Disassembly is a piece of cake, just support the car safely on the rear jacking points, and be certain that you don't let the rear end rotate too far and strain your brake hoses on each side. I dropped the KONI rear dampers out and made sure to reset my rebound damping to the minimum position for starters. I next installed the BNE adjusters up against the chassis and used his supplied locknuts. Some minor sheet metal bendage is required in order to get the adjustable top hat UP to the highest position, but they will spin freely downward to raise your vehicle to the desired height. I went with the 13 inch x 175lb/in. rate rear springs on Ben's recommendations.... with the understanding that they could be too long and if needed, exchanged for shorter.

Here is the first 5 inch diameter rear spring installed. The brake line hoses were stretched to their safe limits (I have SS braided lines from FCP Euro I bought 8 years ago, still AOK). I lubricated the bottom rubber spring mount with soapy water after cleaning out all the accumulated grit to allow the spring/mount to float into final position. Here it is:

Now it's time to reinstall the rubber and see if it all plays well together........

Looks pretty nice ! Good job as usual y

A couple years back, Michael Yount put a very similar BNE coilover package into his very sweet 242 with LS3 drivetrain, a screamer. He discovered (as I recall) this same issue.... the lower spring perch/adjuster becomes really cozy with the front tires! On my driver side, I can just slip a finger between the adjuster and the tire.... whereas the pass. side is tighter yet with probably a half finger of clearance. Not something that will lend itself to tire deflection in lateral G situations! Have a look:

Since the distance from the front spindle to tire shoulder is fixed, I am unable to move this spring perch/adjuster upward without running a shorter spring.... which will result in my sedan being TOO low for my tastes. Ben might have an 11 inch x 250 lb/in spring, but that's a bunch of work to pull it all out again and likely not worth it. From comparison with one other stockish 9 series sedan, the current springs up front put me about 1 inch lower in ride height than the stockers. Right now I'm doubtful that I'll tear it all apart again to try to gain clearance between the tire shoulder and adjuster. Rather, I'll likely just change my front wheel adapters from 25mm to 32mm, which will solve the problem. Anybody out there sitting on a set of 32mm Gil Racing adapters, shoot me a PM!

OK, so how does the sedan sit on the new suspenders? Definitely higher than it did on the B&G's.... and that's not a bad thing for me as (1) my downpipe flex coupling likes to drag on speed bumps and large curbs to driveways, and (2) at my age, getting in & out of a higher vehicle is easier. I think she will stay as she is, unless I can talk myself into those 11 inch front barrel springs (if they even exist).

Here are some sunset pics taken on the test drive:

The new suspension with 250 lb/in front, 175 lb/in rear, is "taut" for sure. I'll extend the test drive time when I get home to see how it behaves over railroad crossings and larger pavement disturbances. The only negative thus far is the front suspension now being 100% metal, is transmitting more road noise and engine vibrations into the cabin. The old B&G's rode beneath the rubber top mounts, OE parts which isolated the noise & vibes..... and now those are sent straight thru into the cabin. I'll check Ben's offerings but I don't recall any rubber upper spring mounts.

More driving impressions to come...... but right now I sure don't regret getting these stiffer springs which are properly matched to KONI Sports damping rates.

Last edited:
The only negative thus far is the front suspension now being 100% metal, is transmitting more road noise and engine vibrations into the cabin. The old B&G's rode beneath the rubber top mounts, OE parts which isolated the noise & vibes..... and now those are sent straight thru into the cabin. I'll check Ben's offerings but I don't recall any rubber upper spring mounts.

I just thought of something you might not be aware of. The offset spherical mounts you are using have a modular spacer installed on them on the bottom, its only needed when using the stock spring perch, when you move to a coilover spring you can remove it. That will move the spring up by ~5mm or so which will give you some more clearance to your springs / tires.

As far as the rubber mount goes, a few thoughts.

Technically the spring assembly is not metal to metal as you are using the luxe bearings and there are plastic layers of isolation between the metal connections but it does have ALOT less separation than the factory Lazy Boi spring seat.

We don't offer anything off the shelf for that but it's possible we could come up with a solution or there might be something generic that can be stacked on top of our mount. If you do add something it will add thickness to the upper spring perch, this moves the spring closer to the tire, if you do that you might need those 32mm spacers up front.

I just thought of something you might not be aware of. The offset spherical mounts you are using have a modular spacer installed on them on the bottom, its only needed when using the stock spring perch, when you move to a coilover spring you can remove it. That will move the spring up by ~5mm or so which will give you some more clearance to your springs / tires.

That would have been excellent information to have known, prior to assembly & installation. Have you considered providing exploded views of your systems, and indicating such options for the end user?

Technically the spring assembly is not metal to metal as you are using the luxe bearings and there are plastic layers of isolation between the metal connections but it does have ALOT less separation than the factory Lazy Boi spring seat.

Indeed. I'm not familiar with your Luxe Steer system.... the bearings I'm using are OEM, INA part # F-230378. Bought them years ago from IPD I believe. So everyone knows what we're talking about, a few pics attached showing the female receiving plate which this bearing seats perfectly on. Had I know that your modular spacer was superfluous for my application, I would have removed it........

Indeed. I'm not familiar with your Luxe Steer system.... the bearings I'm using are OEM, INA part # F-230378. Bought them years ago from IPD I believe. So everyone knows what we're talking about, a few pics attached showing the female receiving plate which this bearing seats perfectly on. Had I know that your modular spacer was superfluous for my application, I would have removed it........

Same thing.

So as Ben informed, there is indeed a spacer installed into the SELECT top mount assembly. It appeared to be a light press fit, so I set out to remove it. A small "pecking hammer" as Dad used to call them, and a sharp chisel is what was needed:

Making a light chisel "wedge drive" between the top plate and the spacer, 3 points 90* apart, and sure enough the spacer walked out. Just as Ben said, the INA bearing drops right into the same female bore in the top mount plate:

My non-NIST traceable scale says these spacers are 8mm thick, so the front of the sedan will drop by that amount.

After comparing notes with Redblockpowered, it seems my sedan will only be about 3/4 ~ 1 inch lower than stock ride height. From memory, Ben says his QSRC's are necessary when your 7/9 is lowered more than 1.5 inches / 45mm or thereabouts. With the sedan back up near stock height, I will remove the roll correctors and restore the stock setup. No more middle hole "quick steering", but the OE setup will be AOK for daily driving duty. Since the QSRCs are on their way out, my shortened/chopped brake dust shields are no longer necessary. With all the new goodies going into the front suspenders, I couldn't resist putting brand new OEM dust shields back in service:

Coming in the mail are NOS control stay "radius rods" with the 396mm length (used in the 94 and 95 models only). My 92 sedan has the 385mm length, so these long rods will increase the caster and give all around improvement to front end steering functions. More to come.... if parts arrive this coming Saturday, she'll begin going back together up front next weekend.

I am assuming you will raise the spring perches by the 8mm to keep the same ride height and gain wheel / spring perch clearance?

Coming in the mail are NOS control stay "radius rods" with the 396mm length (used in the 94 and 95 models only). My 92 sedan has the 385mm length, so these long rods will increase the caster and give all around improvement to front end steering functions. More to come.... if parts arrive this coming Saturday, she'll begin going back together up front next weekend.

Where did you order these from, part number? I never knew the later model ones were longer. Direct bolt in I assume, just changes the angle?

Back