• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Just bought - reverse lights and rot to sort?

Also, IIRC, the standard, commonly available bullet connector is too large for those pins. It needs to be crimped down to give a snug fit.

All-in-all, it's an awfully large amount of work for a little return. Personally, I'd wire the lights to a repurposed switch in the center console and just use them when I needed them.

Just kidding, I probably wouldn't worry about it at all.

Also, IIRC, the standard, commonly available bullet connector is too large for those pins. It needs to be crimped down to give a snug fit.

All-in-all, it's an awfully large amount of work for a little return. Personally, I'd wire the lights to a repurposed switch in the center console and just use them when I needed them.

Just kidding, I probably wouldn't worry about it at all.

Does OP need them working in order to pass MA inspection?

Does OP need them working in order to pass MA inspection?

Yeah, I need it to pass inspection. I just went to go check for sure. It's really annoying. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, but I have to make them work to drive legally.

You put the car in the air, disconnect the plug from the sensor, and then dig out the wiring harness from inside the cabin. You then cut out the old rotten section and splice in a new pair of fresh wires. Go for it!

You could try it from underneath, but good luck getting your hands up above a greasy tranny and doing wire splicing.

That's what I'm doing as soon as I get ahold of some jack stands, I guess. So they come up right through the shifter-hole?

Last edited:
There should be a grommet on the driver side of the shift tunnel. Might have to pull the driver seat and some interior panels to lift the carpet up to expose the hole.

Nothing wrong with pulling the seats frequently and vacuuming out any filth or debris from a decomposing seat!

I did it!

Holy crap, though, that was the most ridiculous night though. Me and my brother jacked it up, stuck stands underneath it and I pulled the plugs from the transmission. Then when I tried to pull them through the shift tunnel they ripped. So long story short we added wire, spliced, soldered it all together, shielded the hell out of it with electrical tape, and halfway through it started raining torrentially (I was soaked from being under the car and trying to put the damn plugs back for like 20 minutes in let me tell you - it was such a tight space). It was so damn frustrating, and I'm sorry there were no pics since it was dark and rainy and my phone died halfway through.

But thank you for the tips on what the issue might be and how to use the multimeter. That was insane but thanks to you guys the reverse lights work and I didn't have to spend crap tons on labor. They probably would have had to take the transmission out since it was almost inaccessible for my hands and I'm pretty small myself. You guys are amazing. I'm pumped as hell. Woop woop! :cool:

Hey man thanks for posting back. Makes me feel good that I could help. I know the feeling very well of successfully fixing a car. I do it basically every day now. Today was digging out a leaky thermostat housing "sammich" on a 2009 Ranger 4.0 V6. Also tidied up the strobe light install. Got it done, successfully, then got to go home for the day. Nothing but win.

I did it!

Holy crap, though, that was the most ridiculous night though. Me and my brother jacked it up, stuck stands underneath it and I pulled the plugs from the transmission. Then when I tried to pull them through the shift tunnel they ripped. So long story short we added wire, spliced, soldered it all together, shielded the hell out of it with electrical tape, and halfway through it started raining torrentially (I was soaked from being under the car and trying to put the damn plugs back for like 20 minutes in let me tell you - it was such a tight space). It was so damn frustrating, and I'm sorry there were no pics since it was dark and rainy and my phone died halfway through.

But thank you for the tips on what the issue might be and how to use the multimeter. That was insane but thanks to you guys the reverse lights work and I didn't have to spend crap tons on labor. They probably would have had to take the transmission out since it was almost inaccessible for my hands and I'm pretty small myself. You guys are amazing. I'm pumped as hell. Woop woop! :cool:

Great job! Hope you pass inspection with no more problems. I need to get smogged soon myself... :-(

Hey man thanks for posting back. Makes me feel good that I could help. I know the feeling very well of successfully fixing a car. I do it basically every day now. Today was digging out a leaky thermostat housing "sammich" on a 2009 Ranger 4.0 V6. Also tidied up the strobe light install. Got it done, successfully, then got to go home for the day. Nothing but win.

It's the best feeling in the world. It's like man, I did this myself. It's the best kind of pride.

Great job! Hope you pass inspection with no more problems. I need to get smogged soon myself... :-(

Haha, thank you. I actually think I don't have to pass emissions, since it's a 25 year old car, right? Which is nice, if that's the case. What year is yours?

We don't know MA laws!

California emissions laws are strict, but it's for good reason. When you see the smog cloud over LA you know why the laws are in place.

I am kinda surprised CA doesn't have any type of vehicle safety inspection laws. I have heard in Nevada, shops are required to hold your vehicle if it isn't safe to be on the road. You can only tow it out if they deem it unsafe. Not 100% on that one though. It would be tough being the guy to have to break the bad news that their car is being held hostage for safety reasons....

It sure is sketchy on the roads when it rains here in the desert. People drive way too fast on ****ty tires and crash. There are something like OVER 200 accidents in the city each day when it rains around here.

My car is '87. I suspect it'll pass fine, although I may need to replace some vacuum hoses and clean my intake. Here in Portland your car has to be '75 or older to be smog exempt alas.

I did it!

Hey, I know that car (friends with the seller)!

I had a feeling that's why those reverse lights didn't work.

Despite the rust that car is a serious champ.

I'm from MA, so am familiar with the state inspections. They really check a lot; ball joints, tire wear, rust...
A guy who I sorta knew had a 911. He said it was handling funny, especially at 80-90. I put it on the lift and took a look.
The bottom of his struts were connected to... nothing.

Hey, I know that car (friends with the seller)!

I had a feeling that's why those reverse lights didn't work.

Despite the rust that car is a serious champ.

I know! He did a damn good job with it, he kept it really nice. It's got some rusty areas but it runs like a dream, and I love it.

You do not need to pass emissions.

That's a relief, haha - one less thing to worry about.

I'm from MA, so am familiar with the state inspections. They really check a lot; ball joints, tire wear, rust...
A guy who I sorta knew had a 911. He said it was handling funny, especially at 80-90. I put it on the lift and took a look.
The bottom of his struts were connected to... nothing.

Hahahahaha how the hell does that happen that is terrifying! I'm glad they found that.

PM if you end up needing help with it. I've got access to lots of 240 parts, etc. And have owned 240s for quite some time now.

Back