• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 Volvo 960 acc. belt tensioner

poulrais

My belt tensioner is going to crap. I have another one from a 1997 960. They are somehow different and Rock Auto lists a different part # for both the tensioner and the actual belt for the 92 and 97.

Question is. Can I use the tensioner from a 97 if I install a 97 version belt?

The 1997 belt from Gates is around 5 inches longer than the one for the 1992. But the 1997 tensioner pulley also sits lower than the one from the 1992.

All this because I'm cheap and don't want to pay $60 for a new tensioner... :-P

I looked at this. The early vs. late alt brackets are different, but I'm not sure how it affects the mounting of the accessories though.

Ok... I have the 1997 motor on the floor with the acc. bracket still on. I'll try to compare with the 1992's ans will report back.

Ha, you got me before my ninja edit.
I see the difference now. It's funny that on the parts diagrams, there's no difference in #, but on Rock Auto there are clearly two different types. Hmm.

If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those tensioners comes locked in it's highest point for easy installation. Kinda like a timing belt tensioner. Maybe you have to pull a pin or something?

Ha, you got me before my ninja edit.
I see the difference now. It's funny that on the parts diagrams, there's no difference in #, but on Rock Auto there are clearly two different types. Hmm.

If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those tensioners comes locked in it's highest point for easy installation. Kinda like a timing belt tensioner. Maybe you have to pull a pin or something?

nope... I have the 2 tensioners unlocked and the 1997's pulley is definitely lower.

Btw... Mods would you please move this to maintenance and non-performance since I obviously chose the wrong thread section...

Hmm, neat. I wonder why. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll work if you do the belt too. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out.

$38 CAD for the 97 belt, $138 CAD for the 92 tensioner. Worth a try! I can always return the belt if it don't fit.

So...

I installed the 97 tensioner with the 92 belt and all seems to be working fine. Go figure!

But! The engine in the 97 is probably a swapped engine from an earlier year because I noticed some yellow writing on the block like they do when you buy parts at the scrap yard.

Also, the idler pulley I took out from another alternator bracket I had lying around in the garage was different from the one on the 92 since the spacer behind the pulley was thicker so it was standing out more towards the front of the engine. I don't know from what year that bracket was from though. I had another bracket on which the pulley was ok so I swapped it to the 92 since mine was making lots of noises.

Back