• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bow in hood repairable?

VolvoEmpire

Is it possible to repair a slightly bowed (but not creased) hood?

I have a 76 245 I?m restoring which had some seized hold hinges that lead to a slight curvature on both sides of the good. Is this repairable, or do I have to track down a new hood?

typically, its very difficult to get the bow completely out. That said, flat hoods are hard to come by these days. I'd try to get the bow out and at the same time keep an eye out for a replacement hood.

Close the hood, wrap a 2 x 4 in a towel, place over bowed section and whack it down with a BFH. Do it evenly on both sides. It does work and does help. May not get completely flat but flat enough Note yo're just hitting the top edge ( the hard part of hood) near the edge of the fender, where the gap is. Hope that is a clear enough description.

Close the hood, wrap a 2 x 4 in a towel, place over bowed section and whack it down with a BFH. Do it evenly on both sides. It does work and does help. May not get completely flat but flat enough Note yo're just hitting the top edge ( the hard part of hood) near the edge of the fender, where the gap is. Hope that is a clear enough description.

Thank you for the tip!

Carefully press it down. Don't be beating on it with a hammer. Don't just close the hood. Put blocks of wood on the top of the core support at the sides that are wrapped in towels to protect the paint. You are trying to get the bottom "shell" to stretch back out, not push the upper bow back down. If done properly, you can make it look like it never happened.

240 Flathood

01414_hiltn2pi5tJ_1200x900.jpg

Carefully press it down. Don't be beating on it with a hammer. Don't just close the hood. Put blocks of wood on the top of the core support at the sides that are wrapped in towels to protect the paint. You are trying to get the bottom "shell" to stretch back out, not push the upper bow back down. If done properly, you can make it look like it never happened.

This is troof. Especially the part about use no hammers. If you find that you can't move it enough by hand, put a ladder next to the fender, climb up and carefully step on the bowed part of the hood, just enough. Check and repeat if necessary.

Shipping tho RWC... seems challenging. Or you gonna bolt it to your whip and then drive home without a hood?

They usually don't bend in the exact middle, just along the outter edge. I've seen a few body guys get them reasonably flat using the 2 x 4 method I described.

Shipping tho RWC... seems challenging. Or you gonna bolt it to your whip and then drive home without a hood?

Generally they ride on the roof rack or in the back of the Toyota pickup.

It's barely possible to get one in the back of a 245 with two people as long as it doesn't have the chrome strip, but much danger to the interior wheel arch covering.

Back