• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Amazon-VDO Tach not working

Hey all, Im reaching the end of my 122 restoration and Im installing a VDO tach. I have a keyed power in, a wire going to the negative of the coil, and a good ground. The tach is a three plug, which coding switches for different engines. When the car is started, the tach doesn?t move. Im pretty sure its wired correctly with the correct sequence of coding switches, and both the ground and keyed power is good. Any suggestions?

I just recently installed a new VDO tachometer in a customers 142S that I bought from a speedometer shop.

Can you supply the part/model number and/or installation instructions of the tachometer?

FYI, I had trouble with the VDO tachometer and I was only able to make it work and read correctly after I installed a "filter" the speedometer shop supplied after the fact.

Its the VDO product number 333051. Black face with an adjustable orange shift ?hand.? Has three terminals the on the back in the 2,3,4 slots, and the rest are empty. Has three coding switches.

I can provide a wiring diagram if necessary. This coil and wiring set up previously worked with another VDO tach (albeit one that only had switches for 6 - 8 cylinder engines, hence the switch) And would the filter help a tach that is reading absolutely nothing? Ive heard that these only help with an improper or "bouncy" reading.

You ignition system instructions will tell you where to connect a tach. The filter does what it says. You can filter the power and you can filter the signal.

I can provide a wiring diagram if necessary. This coil and wiring set up previously worked with another VDO tach (albeit one that only had switches for 6 - 8 cylinder engines, hence the switch) And would the filter help a tach that is reading absolutely nothing? Ive heard that these only help with an improper or "bouncy" reading.

The filter to which I refer is for the tach signal from the coil "-" post.

All I can suggest is to try your "faulty" tach on other car.

Back