• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Air Conditioner Alternative... Realistic??

Mostly both.

However, if you read through this site carefully on the subject and post an ad in the classifieds section, I guess you could do the thing yourself for about 200-300$ and a weekend or two, while keeping the car operational.

I have a couple of complete late model R-134 AC systems for $350, plus shipping. They are a bolt in deal for the most part. Several members here have bought them from me and upgraded their AC systems by installing them on their own. It isn't that hard if you can turn a wrench and do very minor wiring.

If you are cooling yourself with a few pounds of dry ice, your 240 better be very well ventilated indeed.

I wouldn't trust my mostly missing buttcheeks to keep me from asphyxiation myself.

$350 for all the bits from a working car sounds like a deal. Take it to a guy at the end for a vac and charge.

Beware though, the heater box on a 240 is a pretty big job. Not hard so much as epic.

Still scratching my head why anybody would be driving around a non-air-conditioned 78 242 in the summer in Miami and be complaining about it. If it's your only car, WTF dude? Buy the right tool for the job. 78 242 with no air conditioning ain't it.

If project car, just start grabbing a/c parts and installing them and get the damn thing operating. Hopefully before next summer.

Back