• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

13C to 16T swap, no gain?

Fa182

Stage 1
1997 940T.

I recently swapped the stock 13C to a 16T (straight flange). I don't really notice any difference in power or torque. I thought the gain is at least noticeable.

What could be limiting the 16T?
- I'm running 13psi boost, didn't touch it when I swapped.
- I took a stock turbo downpipe and welded a flange on it, could a bigger downpipe make any difference?
- AFRs look fine with both turbos. Running stock injectors because of that.
- Rest of exhaust system is stock. Do I need to go bigger?

Any tips? Am I dumb for missing something obvious?

Something else might be up on your setup.

A 16t at 14psi flows way more air than a 13c does at 22+psi.

Even at lower boost there is a gain. Chances are you just do not have a calibrated butt Dyno. There are some people that can notice a 5-10bhp difference and others that can not notice the difference in 20-30hp.

Did you reset LH after you swapped turbos? The stock downpipe for sure isn't helping but for sure the larger turbo and turbine housing should help the engine pull much smoother under load once boost comes in

None of this info is wrong, but I don't know that it helps (Mike posted while I was posting heh). You should certainly see a power increase between the 13c and the 16T because the 16T should be moving more CFM.

Exhaust is of course a huge factor and opening that up will make a big difference but you should go through and check for boost leaks. You should also consider resetting your ECU and letting it re-learn with more air.

psi for psi you should've seen a noticeable increase in power with this swap.

Check for boost leaks.

(You'll probably run out of injector right around 14/15psi on stock 3bar injectors and a 16T iirc)

Something else might be up on your setup.

A 16t at 14psi flows way more air than a 13c does at 22+psi.

Even at lower boost there is a gain. Chances are you just do not have a calibrated butt Dyno. There are some people that can notice a 5-10bhp difference and others that can not notice the difference in 20-30hp.

Did you reset LH after you swapped turbos? The stock downpipe for sure isn't helping but for sure the larger turbo and turbine housing should help the engine pull much smoother under load once boost comes in

Thanks Mike. Maybe my butt dyno is really not working too well, or maybe I just expected too much.
I did not reset the ECU, going to give it a try too.

To be honest, many years ago I felt the same when going to a 16t. It was when I raised the boost from 10 psi to 15 psi is when I actually felt the difference. 18 psi is probably the max you would go with a 16t. 15 psi works well with a daily driver. Obviously gas mileage goes down if you're boosting all day long.

FWIW, I also recently swapped from a 13C to a 16T, kept boost set at 10psi, stock turbo exhaust. What was noticable to me was the increased smoothness of the power delivery compared to the torque bump that the 13C had. To me it felt like the 16T continued to pull harder as the rpms climbed.

I also recommend getting a wideband O2 sensor before playing around with the boost too much.

I thought it's clear that I have a wideband by saying AFR looks fine in my initial post. I have the AEM sensor installed long before I swapped the turbo.

I do not have a bigger intercooler installed, but had a look at the do88 unit before. I looked at the graph and the numbers are very impressive. Don't have the funds for it right now unfortunately.
I notice that the torque bump from the 13C is gone as well. Much smoother now.

Thanks for all your opinions. I will reset the ECU first and maybe play with the boost in very small steps on the weekend and take it from there.

OP here in the States we use intercoolers out of NPR diesel boxtrucks with a four cylinder diesel. It is almost a drop in replacement.
Bet there are similar across the pond that can be had for a song that will do wonders.
Intake air temps close to ambient with next to no pressure drop across the intercooler makes for more power, effiency and improved resistance to visits from the Kool-Aid dood.

Thanks John. I did my homework and read about the NPR intercoolers many times, but unfortunately we didn't get any of those trucks in continental Europe as far as I'm aware. Never seen an Isuzu or Chevy truck around here.
Is there maybe another (almost) drop in replacement?

I just got the linked KL cooler. Do recommend. NPR cooler would be cheaper but I have no experience with those.

Thanks John. I did my homework and read about the NPR intercoolers many times, but unfortunately we didn't get any of those trucks in continental Europe as far as I'm aware. Never seen an Isuzu or Chevy truck around here.
Is there maybe another (almost) drop in replacement?

I think this one has near identical dimensions as the stock intercooler only a few cm thicker.

https://m.ebay.de/itm/Ladeluftkuhle...075415?hash=item545d3609d7:g:KZIAAOSwfrxZw1lO

Other options are the VAG 1.8 tfsi intercooler or RS500 (ebay.co.uk)

Back