• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bahahahahahahahha at brett

If not for your own good, then for the good of others. What happens if you have an accident and seriously injure a passenger or other motorist because of a shortcut taken?

Clay, you'll be great at president of the world

I love how you're all jumping on Brett when we all know we've done stuff like this in the past. Maybe not on our bricks, but on something we've driven.

And no one is going to die (outside the afflicted car) from a pressure plate blowing up. It's not an IED.

As an aside, as long as the pressure plate is torqued properly you don't need the pins. .

Provided you can devise some way of actually getting it centered on the flywheel. The pressure plate is relatively heavy, and there's plenty of slop in the bolt holes.

The vibration/harmonics associated with the imbalance that could be created in this scenario could cause all kinds of issues with the fasteners. There certainly are setups that do not have dowels, but the PP is manufactured with the design intent being that it is centered by the (typically shouldered) pressure plate bolts.

Dakar09 said:
And no one is going to die (outside the afflicted car) from a pressure plate blowing up. It's not an IED.

Actually, the comparison to an IED is about right. You're an idiot to downplay how potentially dangerous a flywheel/pressure plate letting go is. That is legit darwin award material right there.

yeah pressure plate coming off is a bit of a captive audience at least for a little while, unlike a 40lb flywheel. funny to talk about, but probably not all that destructive, its going to shed a fair bit of energy before it gets the input shaft to release it from captivity.

custom bellhousing work, probably some custom tunnel work, maybe a few toes here and there on a 200 series.

Actually, the comparison to an IED is about right. You're an idiot to downplay how potentially dangerous a flywheel/pressure plate letting go is. That is legit darwin award material right there.

i'll take extra care to make sure no one rides in the car with me.

good thing this new cut flywheel has dowels.

Everyone is a f***ing expert here, I forgot.

I've seen flywheels let go on high horsepower V8 drag cars...granted with tunnel reinforcements. The danger is to the occupant, for the most part.

Try not to exaggerate too much. It just seems that you all are just waiting for certain members to F**K up and then it's gang-up time.

4 pages worth of grief for this? Grow up.

*tick*tock*tick*tock*tick*tock*.....
IMG_6410.JPG

I think Brett just wants his ticket punched as a member of the 'blew up a Volvo transmission club'.

That red pressure plate has tasted blood before, I'm sure it will strike again.

M-47 #3 now grinds between 2nd and 3rd!

Everyone is a f***ing expert here, I forgot.

I've seen flywheels let go on high horsepower V8 drag cars...granted with tunnel reinforcements. The danger is to the occupant, for the most part.

Try not to exaggerate too much. It just seems that you all are just waiting for certain members to F**K up and then it's gang-up time.

4 pages worth of grief for this? Grow up.

Thats right, a newbie thinks he knows something. Dowel pins or not, a flying round object that isnt symmetrical back to front flying at speeds is dangerous to anybody sitting in the car it be the driver or passenger. Has anybody thought of what if or what if this caused genius boy race car to jolt the steering wheel and ver into the car in the next lane.

Not that were all hoping anything goes bad for Brett but sometimes its a thing to happen to learn.

But wtf do I know and my college degrees and minors.

I love how you're all jumping on Brett when we all know we've done stuff like this in the past. Maybe not on our bricks, but on something we've driven.

Ok then, here's an believable situation since you think this is safe. Brett is driving down a 2 lane road at 45,55,65 whatever. Flywheel clutch explodes. Shrapnel hits left tire and causes car to veer. The shrapnel could also hit his right foot and make it hard for him hit the brakes. And there's there's a car oncoming in the opposite lane and its filled with kittens, orphans, organ transplants and other invaluable things.

Its a little unlikely, especially the end but still plausible.

woaahh brett, this is so
smiley-angry009.gif

;)

But console youself.. i blewd my m46 while doing a burnout cause my rearaxle came out the torque rods..

the infamous 8.8 bolt corrodes in axle and comes loose problem ;)

Back