• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fun Volvo 940 Rally project...

benbull

A friend and I have just purchased this volvo 940 2.3t (think its the B230fk).
We're driving it to the Nurburgring in Germany (from the UK) in September for a friends stag do.

Its had no performance upgrades, so we were thinking of doing some work! Thoughts are...

Lowering
Exhaust (more noise required!)
Engine/turbo tweaks

This is all on a budget, and for a good laugh! Would appreciate some advice/thoughts!

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a fun project! The cheapest way to get a little more out of it would be to get a manual boost controller (for the turbo) and turn it up a couple more psi. Make sure you have a proper boost gauge though so you can keep track of the psi. Keep us updated on the progress.

Angle grinder, spring compressors. Cut a coil off the front and rear. You then be the same height as the 'Sport' model and no risk of them dropping out.

Exhaust (more noise required!)
Remove everything after the cat. Add a 90 degree bend that exits out the side.
images

Engine/turbo tweaks

MBC as mentioned by jakemness (aim for about 1bar), plus search on here for airbox modifications (basically; remove foam and open up the cold air inlet part).

For the Nurburgring I'd look at getting some decent brake pads fitted. At the very least put some new standard ones in to try and prevent them overheating.

Have fun. Take pictures.

Get hold of some bosch green injectors and a 960 3"MAF and get the fuel ecu chipped, then get a 3" downpipe and exhaust.
The cheapest way to increase boost is to shorten the wastgate rod.

Good luck and have fun

The cheapest way to increase boost is to shorten the wastgate rod.

the stock wastegate actuator on a B230FK is not adjustable. But you could add an additional spring to keep the wastegate shut just that little bit longer. That will raise boost.
Or find some other stiffer actuator and make that work.

We've fitted a manual boost controller and gauge, running 10psi..ish.
It already had a side-exit exhaust, but we really want to lower it, so will probably have to run that back to the rear, as it will hit otherwise.

We want to fit a dump valve.. purely for the noise/laughs...
I'm wondering if the area I have circled in yellow is a recirculating valve of some kind, and can be replaced with the dump valve, or have I got that completely wrong and its something else that needs to remain!? ...

2139.jpg

Should have a Mitsubishi turbo and I think you can use the srt4 bov with that, used to be cheap. Might mess with how the engine runs though, no experience so not sure.

Should have a Mitsubishi turbo and I think you can use the srt4 bov with that, used to be cheap. Might mess with how the engine runs though, no experience so not sure.

I see that attaches directly to the turbo? and actually tricky to get hold of.
We've been given a blitz dump valve from a friend, is it ok to plumb that in somewhere on the intake pipe? Or is there essentially already one fitted to the turbo... and this will cause issues?

Cheers

Yes. Issues.
Fitting a dump valve tends to make the engine stall every time you dip the clutch. This becomes very tiresome very quickly.
The problem is metered air exiting the system and causing a rich mixture.

The car already has a 'dump' valve in the form of a recirculating compressor bypass valve attached to the side of the turbocharger itself. This puts the metered air back into the system and thus avoids the issues.

If all you want is more noise then take the airbox off and replace it with a open cone filter. But be aware that you'll probably lose power as the Volvo airbox is very well designed.

If all you want is more noise then take the airbox off and replace it with a open cone filter. But be aware that you'll probably lose power as the Volvo airbox is very well designed.

If you are looking for BOV sounds, This is the best way to do it. I love the way the Mitsubishi Recirc valves sound! :oogle:

ok.. cheers all.. will leave that all as it is, and yes, just stuck a cone on it... despite the slight performance loss, I doubt we'll really notice!

..does sound good!

Back