• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help with Wastegate Adapter Plate and 90+ Manifold

maxitoman007

Ok so here's the deal, I decided to upgrade my turbo however the one I ended up getting requires an external wastegte. So as a solution I bought something like this :http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-to-T3-Tu...ternal-wastegate-Relocation-JDM-/351196446788.
Now I have a problem, I wanted to upgrade to a 90+ manifold for better flow but as you know going from pre 90 to 90+ manifolds the turbo mounting style changed from through-bolt to studs. This posed a problem for me because the wastegate plate I bought wont fit completely on the manifold, the studs on the wastegate side of the adapter hit the small tube going to where the wastegate would be. This means I cant get the plate to sit on the manifold correctly and it also means that there's no way I would be able to get a nut on the stud coming through (unless they make very thin nuts that could squeeze in, or there was some way to machine the plate thinner where the bolt goes through to add more clearance). Here's the thing, the holes on the adapter plate are threaded so using a through-bolt style manifold would work much better (bolts would just thread into plate instead of turbo). Now I'm trying to find way to get my 90+ manifold to work with the adapter plate. I first though about removing the studs and putting bolts through the same holes essentially making it a through-bolt style, but then I realized that there would be no way to get the new bolts in (runners cover the holes from the back). so then i thought about taking the studs out removing the threads from the holes, insert a threaded rod from the front, somehow put a nut on the back of it as it comes through the back of the manifold and then weld it (essentially putting a bolt in backwards by welding a head on to it), but then I realized that the holes don't have much side clearance at the back of the 90+ so I don't think there'd be enough room to put a nut on the threaded rod. So I'm stuck, I could just use the original pre 90 manifold and avoid all of this but if there is a good solution I haven't thought of then maybe it could work. Thanks in advance.

That actually doesn't say anything about your turbo, so who knows.

That said, hog a hole in the bottom of the manifold and weld a small tube and flange there if you need to WG a 90+ housing.

Not quite sure how you plan to fit a real sized turbo in there when it's spaced out 3" from the manifold.

You don't have a T3/T4 if it fits. Cast iron is as difficult to weld as the person welding it. In other words, if they don't know what they're doing then yes, it would probably be difficult for them.

Keep them there 60 dollars and get a t3 internally wastegated exhaust housing. That'll get you where you want with what you want for around the price you want. Junkyards are your friend!

But without knowing what turbo, saying t3/t4 isn't much. Kinda like defining your car with only "a 4-banger with 4-doors".

There's absolutely NO room to mount that adapter AND a turbo, if you're using a stock turbo manifold. Been down that road. The best you can do is to add the wastegate to the cast manifold (possible, with the right tools), or have a wastegate flange welded to the hotside scroll itself.

Try to find a compatible turbine housing with a WG?

T25_EWG_44.jpg

That way you get the mental peace of mind that this rando turbo you bought wasn't a waste of time'money because it won't fit.

Or just buy something that is more suited to what you need, instead of spending $20 to save $10.

do it the sloppy way, and cut a hole in the turbine housing and weld the wastegate flange on there.

Well lots of mixed responses here haha I think I'm going to use a header which puts the flange vertical so I don't have to worry about hitting the shock tower. They are also through-bolt style and already machined flat so that's a plus. I know I'll have to flip the flange and brace it ( what do you mean by brace ? Take the weight off the manifold? Make the manifold itself stronger?) but I think it'll work.

Back