• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tdo4hl-14t to 19t upgrade?

klork

Anyone ever upgrade a 14t to a 19t? Found this on ebay. I know probably all china but the 14t I have needs a rebuild as it has a lot of side to side play and in and out play.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi...743054?hash=item25b8e40c4e:g:9ZUAAOSweW5VTX-J

Anyone ever use this and had any luck?

Looks like I will also need to buy a recirc valve as this doesn't have the bypass valve built in. This is going on my 940 turbo.
I would also be happy with a good used 16t or 18t angle flange turbo if anyone has one for sale.

Did you already swap the turbo before? The stock turbo on a 940 is a 13C.

IMHO, if your current turbo has lots of play already, I wouldn't get any of these ebay Chinesium kits.
You should be able to find a good used turbo on here pretty easily for almost TB$. Make a post in wanted section if nothing comes up here in your post.
It took 2 days to find one on here when I was looking for a 16T.

I was given a tdo4hl-14t. So working on fixing it up to replace the stock turbo. I already have a downpipe and full 3 inch exhaust to go with the angle flange turbo. I know I could rebuilt it for about $50 but I wouldn't mind something with a little more oomph since the 14t isn't a whole let better then the 13c.

Gotcha. If you already have the setup for an angled flange turbo though, I'd rather look for an angled flange 16T imho.
I put it on my 945T and it was a very nice improvement along with the KL Racing intercooler.

Full MITSU overhaul kit for the TD04 is around $99. I bought my 19t kit from ARD Tuning in Portland. Of course, I had the CHRA balanced afterwards.

Ignore the Chinesium, unless you want to wallow in misery. You pay for what you get.

That kit looks pretty good to me.

I really like the design of the compressor housing. Lots of easy mounting options for a waste gate bracket for RWD clocking.

its not a crazy amount of labor to put it in a turbo and try it out. As long as the dims of the journal bearings are right it should be fine. If it were ball bearing components i wouldn't trust aftermarket

It doesn't have the CBV intergrated, which is a + if you are going external... but could be bad if you dont plan on that.

I would be perfectly fine with a 16t but I havnt found one for sale yet and looking to get this done fairly soon.

Also ard tuning seems to have everything on their website on back order. I ran across their website yesterday looking for stuff.

I put a flat flange volvo TDO4 on my sr20 swapped datsun. I got the billet wheel version 19t and a fancy mamba actuator. Didn't have anything balanced but I been ripping around on 20 pounds of boost for a few months without anything exploding.

ytU641ol.jpg

TVu5QwIl.jpg

I put a flat flange volvo TDO4 on my sr20 swapped datsun. I got the billet wheel version 19t and a fancy mamba actuator. Didn't have anything balanced but I been ripping around on 20 pounds of boost for a few months without anything exploding.

I had basically the same unbalanced turbo on my 142 for a year or so, and never had any issues. It's a great turbo, especially for a daily.

I would be perfectly fine with a 16t but I havnt found one for sale yet and looking to get this done fairly soon.

Check car-part.com for local junkyard inventory if you are in the US. I bought a complete 13G with td-04hl angled hotside off the shelf for $35 and mated it to 19t cold side. I had to switch one the the studs to bolt (or vice-versa, I forgot) and use a smaller hex nut or something to get it on the manifold. You can find FWD application list here: http://www.swededemon.com/turbo/turbolist.html

I don't know flow numbers, but visually, the angled flange and wastegate is yuuuge compared to straight. You can weld a 3" vband straight to it or flange -if you are buying a flange make sure ID is full 3" - I had one made and welded vband to flange.

54731623_265955657647734_7575510735775722625_n.jpg

-not my fabbing :)

Last edited:
IMHO, if your current turbo has lots of play already, I wouldn't get any of these ebay Chinesium kits.

You already have to rebuild the turbo in order to install the kit, so as long as you aren't trying to cheap out and reuse the old bearings then the play will be gone when you're done. and if it isn't the you need to figure out what piece you left out when you were putting it back together

Ended up just rebuilding the 14t. Ceramic coated the downpipe and the turbine housing so that should cut down on the heat in the engine bay tremendously.

Back