• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 ignition switch smoke?

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Turned the key to move the 142 back into the garage and as I turned the key to "ON" and "Start", I was greeted by a small plume of smoke that persisted until I turned the key back to off.

Is this the switch portion of the ignition going bad or a loose wire? The engine won't turn over with the key anymore, but the warning lights dim.

Help.

Do whatever you can to save that switch.
Replacements are not easy to come by.

You just let the smoke out. Now you have to replace it.

Replacement-Lucas-Wiring-Harness-Smoke.jpg

What am I supposed to do to save it if it already smoked? How can I prevent further damage

I wouldn't say it's trash yet, unless you let it smoke for an extended period of time.
Label and disconnect all the wires at the switch and start fault tracing.

My $0.02.

Turns out it wasn't the ignition switch.
The junction plate near the driver's headlight decided to come loose and ground. I wrapped it in electrical tape and it solved the problem. None of the wires at the switch shorted and showed signs of melted insulation.
The switch still functions fine.

Electrical tape is the way to go for now, but you should consider a more permanent repair.

That junction is 1 of Volvos dumber electrical designs and it was used on 140s, 164s and 240s through 1977.

The weak link of the 3 pieces is the cover and of course that part is NLA.

However, I've got some 3D printed covers made.

Back