• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Relatively stranded 1,000 miles from home

iHateVolvoPeople

1993 245

Main pump has always made a bit of a gargly noise. I brought a spare with the assumption that it would fail on vacation..well going up a steep mountain (full tank of gas) the car started bucking and hesitating until it finally shut off. It restart 5 minutes later but the main pump sounded awful. going to grab an adjustable wrench and change it to see if the issue persists.

What are the odds that it's the main pump at fault and not the intank pump:roll: also, whatre the odds I can make it home on a failed in tank pump with a fresh main pump?

P.s thanks Roy for the spare fuel pump!

If the intake pump is toast. A full gas tank will slightly help. Not up a mountain help. But it helps. Just don't w.o.t take it easy and you should make it back.

Also where are you located. Watch those hot temps for vapor lock in the gas tank.

Also where are you located. Watch those hot temps for vapor lock in the gas tank.

Thanks. I'm in Yellowstone national park. iPhone says temperature is 84 but I feel like it's pretty chilly with the high wind speed.

Edit:nvm temp is 73F.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm in Yellowstone national park. iPhone says temperature is 84 but I feel like it's pretty chilly with the high wind speed.

Edit:nvm temp is 73F.

No laughing matter but a Yellowstone camping trip is where my daughter found she needed a new tank pump. I talked her through the diagnosis on the side of the road, but she had to spend a four day weekend in Riverton WY while a shop ordered a tank pump and installed it. I wrote this up after that: In The Tank

The new main pump might get you home even with a dead lift pump, but keep that tank full and travel during the cool night and stay off the mountain. Right...

Asking about odds is kinda ridiculous outside of Nevada. You can know for sure if you follow the steps to diagnose the pumps.

Eh it's kinda loud again. Though no bucking and hesitation.

So am I right saying you can drive a car with a 100% failed in tank pump?

Certainly you can. For years even. But not in all conditions, as you have probably learned for yourself. Takes 5 minutes, why don't you find out if the tank pump is working?

Don't forget about that fuel filter man.

Also, I've only ever figured out I've had a fault in the fuel system when I was over 100 miles from home. Dunno what the deal is there. Murphys law I guess

Might be inconclusive. Read: In The Tank All your questions have been addressed here.

With fuse #4 out, a jumper from fuse #6 to the left side of 4, the main pump definitely buzzes and gives a nice spark. When I jump it to the right side of 4, (fuse still out) I get no noise almost no spark. The spark is so small I have to squint to see it. It seems like the intank pump is not drawing any current. It's either bad or the wiring is bad.

We EFI converted my friends 63 chevy, and it stranded us one rainy day.
Short on resources, We discussed our options over a burger, pulled the fuel pump, beat it against the curb till it would spin again and reinstalled.
He drove it on that pump 5 more years and has the motor out for a 5.3 conversion now.
I'd give you a 'possible'.

Prob torn hose in tank. Time to pull it. Or just drive home with lots of gas and then do it.

Stick hose down tank to listen. Yes car will run with dead tank pump. I just would have sputtering when very very low on gas. That's when I knew I had maybe 15 miles till I ran out. After tank pump swap, now there is basically no warning when about to run out of gas. Just maybe a block or two of sputtering. Side story over.

Unfortunately I have lots of mountainous driving to do with gas stations few and far between. I'm going to buy a couple gallon gas can and keep it in the back.

We're headed from Yellowstone to Kansas City tonight.

Sorry. Didn't read it all well.

It could be a million things. Not enough info. You need to do tests and inspections. Posting from the dinner table ain't gonna cut it.

Sorry. Didn't read it all well.

It could be a million things. Not enough info. You need to do tests and inspections. Posting from the dinner table ain't gonna cut it.

You failed to read again...tested the in tank pump and it's silent. Either it's bad or on a dead spot on the commutator.

Back