• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Intake Manifold Plenum Design: Stubs or holes?

mikep

Vintage Ride
Inside a home-built plenum:

Stubs of tube, insides contoured (outer edges sharp)?

Stubs rounded inside and out?

No stubs, just holes into individual runners?

The stubs would be the sawed-off remnants of a 280ZX Nissan manifold.

166968088.jpg

166968089.jpg

I wonder if stubs, allowing air to flow past on the outside, will flow smoother the a wall with holes.

Depending on the amount of material you have to work with, you could weld the tubes to a plate and take a router to round over the holes/welds making a velocity stack of sorts.

There is a Z fuel injected manifold without all that EGR stuff. Not sure what year, but I've seen it. I gotta buddie who has 30 plus Z's he's parting out.

There is only one way to do it. Radius the inlet, from a flat plate is easy to do.
Sharp edges cause turbulence and restrict airflow.

I refer you to D Vizard
VizardVstack001a+(2).tif

A good example scrounged from the net:
n-ka24de-ci5_grande.jpg

That would be the holes version I was describing.

The velocity stacks version would be the other (stubs) version with sharp outer edges.
Velocity stacks is what I would think flows the most, but does it?
I remember head bench testing where a half-round at the entrance flowed better. But I have no copy of the article.

I have limited space now, but will have more when I get rid of the struts in 2 years with a different suspension.
End-goal if possible is a plenum to receive an M90 supercharger from a T-Bird.

Stubs or holes? Male/female? Why would it matter what gender a manifold is?

That joke aside, velocity stacks and radii help with an n/a engine, this is undoubtedly proven. Especially if you tune the intake to take advantage of the inversion wave. However, there is a lot of debate out there about whether there is benefit in a boosted engine. I am under the impression that the radius will help increase velocity and flow by smoothing the transition, but velocity stack length on a boosted engine wont make much difference. Well, 20 foot long intake runners(Bosuzoku ftw.) will effect throttle response but not flow.

Last edited:
There is only one way to do it. Radius the inlet, from a flat plate is easy to do.
Sharp edges cause turbulence and restrict airflow.

I refer you to D Vizard

Any reference to David Vizard concludes the conversation.

That joke aside, velocity stacks and radii help with an n/a engine, this is undoubtedly proven. Especially if you tune the intake to take advantage of the inversion wave.

I tend to agree, but I need to find out if there is a more than 1% difference.
Personally, if I cut off at the green lines and weld the plate there, I will have clearance probs. If I try to turn those into stacks, the curves will make it hard to get a plate slide over far.
And if I shorten the cutoff lengths, I will have to run studs and nuts (I'm ok with that)

If I start from scratch, who knows.

I'm not interested in using any nissan intake. And I'm only going to inject it if I go with the supercharger or a turbo.
The SUs are going on there for now.

you would need a Dyno to find out look at the millions of different manifold designs, i would think the ram tuning would depend on what r.p.m. you would be running

Back