• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 '92 Body Molding

VolvoNutt

K-jet Newbie
Rubber molding on the bottom of doors, it's coming off.

What is the norm protocol to do here? I sorta would like to keep/refinish it. I think that would be easier than filling in the holes left if it were to be removed.

Is there NOS out there that's reasonably priced? Was the original color black or grey? It's grey now but that's from oxidation.

Let me hear what you guys think on the matter;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 130
Flat black paint for plastic and 3m double sided tape. Cleaning with goo remover and dental floss. Did it 5 years ago and still going strong on mine

Flat black paint for plastic and 3m double sided tape. Cleaning with goo remover and dental floss. Did it 5 years ago and still going strong on mine

Ok few questions:
If used 3m double sided tape, isn't that tape thick? So wouldn't there be a gap once the trim was set back to the body? Maybe I'm picturing in my mind the wrong stuff?

And what's the dental floss for???:wtf::wtf::wtf:

5 years wow that's a nice run time!

The dental floss is so you can remove the trim completely. You could just carefully peal it off. The trim will have remnants of the old tape. You need to remove that and also get a good clean surface on the door so it all sticks together. I shaved the old tape off then lightly sanded it before using the 3M tape. After you get the sticky off of the door you may want to go over it with rubbing alcohol so it is nice and clean. 3m the trim top , bottom, and middle. After washing and lightly sanding my trim I painted it with SEM trim black. Been about 4 years still looks like new.

I had good results using Automotive Goop to stick the ends back on without removing the whole trim. I smeared it on with a popsicle stick and clamped it overnight with a block of wood and some quick-grip clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-160012-Automotive-Adhesive/dp/B000CCID28

Then I used Forever Black with good results. I used it on the trim, mud flaps, and bumpers of my 1988 240, and I lightly sanded and sprayed the rockers with flat black. I like how it turned out.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5262/102264-forever-black

If you want good results, you have to carefully mask everything and work the Forever Black on like paint with a good brush.

kd4u8gav6qZVOgBPbYyC4uw2lLcUuSbTUjvLPnXe8v_QUI43-3F4ep56c3vqCDrgJpaRLB0Nw0jklZzTp8T8eHlTHGBgsvENPOIzp8Q2m7hR0POyHy3uLAO5cpXeTu6Ydny7zsKPuzTNeWe3rduHwK3xDHvs7v7o9f02hatGUCSeTvZewco0cEEFP6eLW1utNZISyqxodSqGm9VBgSQ1UE45sU-wYfTEutbDr3wiR157Uo1z2AW6R9EE7TDHQxnaKLxOu8YjXz6DKY2xLPpelhIoruBi5H1_zSbcTVkpAFMXJ_Y33-y3u3WCfGSoyM88fjBIq06-zJecNVWg-IqNZptp3fQppmmC6n_rHk9py24D5zaHc2vgs5ohmCwBrC-TbdEAKLnD6A7DtzB227PkD-CZJj0WV1I2V8dYMr94I7MQBmbHyRDFoyCRnhHQ2oBKOu-Qj8CSUgFoL5db7x9IPQVIetJAzsrdvXoubmmWSImmO5T0Kkc0E1LzKFsw4WU7xHT4Es60xpkARLXtXxCPAS-ZZCDm8i-lpOQddKj30rthVxtW-HpJ6K_29UzoILo39Uj2kZ3gBrtfeyvxxzFbcuDmR0HUeVgcAQKBH-JIGabYwHs4KqWE2dtLlYSmZNIjeDNdWJX5zrKD9B4rjksV0RlHc9idEihMOtZvqt8cJvbVvrA=w864-h648-no

More photos: https://goo.gl/photos/R3466mqY4UJCjXR27

This car now resides in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The dental floss is so you can remove the trim completely. You could just carefully peal it off. The trim will have remnants of the old tape. You need to remove that and also get a good clean surface on the door so it all sticks together. I shaved the old tape off then lightly sanded it before using the 3M tape. After you get the sticky off of the door you may want to go over it with rubbing alcohol so it is nice and clean. 3m the trim top , bottom, and middle. After washing and lightly sanding my trim I painted it with SEM trim black. Been about 4 years still looks like new.

A near perfect match is SEM dark gray bumper coater.

I had good results using Automotive Goop to stick the ends back on without removing the whole trim. I smeared it on with a popsicle stick and clamped it overnight with a block of wood and some quick-grip clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-160012-Automotive-Adhesive/dp/B000CCID28

Then I used Forever Black with good results. I used it on the trim, mud flaps, and bumpers of my 1988 240, and I lightly sanded and sprayed the rockers with flat black. I like how it turned out.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5262/102264-forever-black

If you want good results, you have to carefully mask everything and work the Forever Black on like paint with a good brush.

kd4u8gav6qZVOgBPbYyC4uw2lLcUuSbTUjvLPnXe8v_QUI43-3F4ep56c3vqCDrgJpaRLB0Nw0jklZzTp8T8eHlTHGBgsvENPOIzp8Q2m7hR0POyHy3uLAO5cpXeTu6Ydny7zsKPuzTNeWe3rduHwK3xDHvs7v7o9f02hatGUCSeTvZewco0cEEFP6eLW1utNZISyqxodSqGm9VBgSQ1UE45sU-wYfTEutbDr3wiR157Uo1z2AW6R9EE7TDHQxnaKLxOu8YjXz6DKY2xLPpelhIoruBi5H1_zSbcTVkpAFMXJ_Y33-y3u3WCfGSoyM88fjBIq06-zJecNVWg-IqNZptp3fQppmmC6n_rHk9py24D5zaHc2vgs5ohmCwBrC-TbdEAKLnD6A7DtzB227PkD-CZJj0WV1I2V8dYMr94I7MQBmbHyRDFoyCRnhHQ2oBKOu-Qj8CSUgFoL5db7x9IPQVIetJAzsrdvXoubmmWSImmO5T0Kkc0E1LzKFsw4WU7xHT4Es60xpkARLXtXxCPAS-ZZCDm8i-lpOQddKj30rthVxtW-HpJ6K_29UzoILo39Uj2kZ3gBrtfeyvxxzFbcuDmR0HUeVgcAQKBH-JIGabYwHs4KqWE2dtLlYSmZNIjeDNdWJX5zrKD9B4rjksV0RlHc9idEihMOtZvqt8cJvbVvrA=w864-h648-no

More photos: https://goo.gl/photos/R3466mqY4UJCjXR27

This car now resides in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

So what would be the best use of my time? Do you think? Apply/use forever black, or paint new black on rubber? Seems cost wise would be abou the same.

Since you have used the product I'm curious what you think.

Or SEM dark grey bumper cover(thanks 2manyturbos) which would probably look better on a black car......right!

If you want black, I would use Forever Black. I liked the control of brushing rather than spraying. I could do the trim pieces over the bumpers (with the integrated metal) with just some careful cutting in with a small brush. Masking off that metal would be a pain, in my opinion.

If you want gray, use the SEM. I've used SEM interior paint products and loved them.

On all of my 240s, it seems like the bumpers and trim are black and the mud flaps and door trim pieces are gray. That would mean two products if you're going for OEM.

Pull off the trim. A heat gun on low or a blowdryer may help more of the goop come off with it. Then plastic scraper, heat, maybe some chemical help to get the goop of the car.

I used a wire wheel in a drill to knock the goop off the trim. Then, yes, 3M trim adhesive; the thin, not the wide roll to put it back on. Available at auto stores for about $10 a roll which is enough for at least one trim piece.

If you want black, I would use Forever Black. I liked the control of brushing rather than spraying. I could do the trim pieces over the bumpers (with the integrated metal) with just some careful cutting in with a small brush. Masking off that metal would be a pain, in my opinion.

If you want gray, use the SEM. I've used SEM interior paint products and loved them.

On all of my 240s, it seems like the bumpers and trim are black and the mud flaps and door trim pieces are gray. That would mean two products if you're going for OEM.

I am suggesting the SEM for the side cladding and mudflaps only. I would not recommend using any sort of paint on that rubber portion of the beltline trim or for the bumper trim.

I'm a skeptic of the 2-sided tapes. I've used those expensive 3M tapes and had failures.

This is what I recommend: 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I have used it many times over the years and it does not fail.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B01LQP1QIC

Pull it all off and clean and do your re-dye, etc. Then apply plenty of adhesive and tape the moldings on and leave it until the next day.
Dave B.

Back