• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just bought a 1974 144!!! Questions inside!

lha1992

Hey there everyone,

Well I've always liked the look of the 140 series cars an searched the local Craigslistings an found a guy selling his 1974 144 with a manual 4speed an original b20 that's been converted over to dual side draft carbs.

The guy needed to sell the car cause him an his gf an boy were moving to NYC. Went an looked at the car thought about it for a few days an bought it!

So it's been maintained by Matt at X-Ray auto in Seattle an was owned by him for a time. But I haven't been able to get in touch with him so I'm asking you guys these questions!

1st question: what oil should I use in this thing? I'm a Mobil guy whether conventional or synthetic I use Mobil. Should I run a zinc additive in the car? I use red line if I should so.

2nd: what oil goes in the manual transmission gear box? Gl-3 or gl-4 gear oil or type f?

3rd: type of gear oil in the rear diff?

4th: what type of coolant?

Thanks you guys!

Congratulations!

A '71 like it got me hooked on Volvo's. Had 6 of them now, two at the moment.

197120Volvo20164_2.jpg

M1 is fine in the engine, probably go with the 10w40 high mileage since it's got a decent ZDDP level still.
Trans is either SAE30 or SAE80 (per the greenbook), I'd go with a decent 75w90 GL4 myself.
Diff is standard spec GL4.

ZDDP(Zinc and Phosphorous) is important to pushrod motors and ZDDP has been determined to detrimental to catalytic converters so the government mandated the levels be lowered in ALL multi-engine oils including Mobil1. I have checked and the 30 wt engine oil I use is supposed to have enough ZDDP for normal driving, but an additive or use of a high ZDDP oil like Valvoline VR1 should be used in performance applications. I think there is a version of Mobil1 that has sufficient levels of ZDDP, if not, use an additive.

I have read some of the additives used in later gear oils like GL4 and GL5 will damage brass and bronze parts in manual transmissions.

So I use 30 wt or GL1 for an M40 and 30 wt for an M41.

I do know Redline actually states their stuff is safe for manual transmissions and brass syncro's, not sure on the M1 stuff.

Taking a look at the M1 ZDDP levels, the 10w40 high mileage and the 15w40 diesel oils still have levels pretty close to what the levels were before the reduction, around 1100ppm, where the other oils are typically in the 800ish ppm range. Before the reduction, oils were in the 1200-1400ppm range.

I currently have some synthetic VR1 in the 140 since it was on closeout for $2/quart in the 140, really seems to like it.

Alright you guys thank you!

So as for the engine oil viscosity what should I use? I been running 10w30 in my old b21 an b28 but should I use 10w40 or even 20w50 in this b20? I will be using the red line ZDDP additive.

As for the trans fluid, I know the whole thing with GL5 on the brass inside but GL4 should be okay right? I don't think I can find GL 1, 2 or 3

Back