• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrewhans 240 LS Swap, Going for 8's

Just figured out I installed the drivers head gasket backwards. It explains the air trapping in the head and the boil over even though overall temps were fine.

Oh well, no damage and no money wasted. Just time. Got lucky and the passengers gasket is correct.

Last edited:
Got the passenger head removed and the gasket was indeed backwards.

Got it swapped and back together in under 4 hours.

While I was working around the front of the motor I figured I would swap out the water pump that leaked terribly from the weep hole for a spare that came off another engine. This one wobbles a bit but doesnt leak so im calling it a win.

Also got the transmission in and fully mounted.

Going to mount the trans cooler at the rear of the car with a pusher fan on it to guarantee it wont overheat on long highway trips. If you're curious, it's the AC condensor from the Volvo being repurposed as a trans cooler.

Made a ton of progress on Sunday. Got the ECU mounted and most of the wires ran, majority of the exhaust dump finished and the entire intercooler piping ran. Just need to trima small section of the hood bracing to clear a coupler.

Is there no physical space for a normal downpipe or is the side exit more of a ****s and giggles thing?

Is there no physical space for a normal downpipe or is the side exit more of a ****s and giggles thing?

It's a bit of both.

The exhaust tubing I have was free and good sized, 3.25" at its smallest and usually around 4". I looked down there after somebody else said the same thing and without cutting more off the transmission, hitting the firewall more and still probly haveing to dent the exhaust tubing some it wouldnt work.

When I was first planning everything I took a quick glance down that area and decided to put my effort somewhere else so it got dumped out the side.

that's the way to do it man. cheap, fast, and fun. then when **** does break, which it may, you wont care as much

I'm glad you get it. A lot of people, not so much on this site, don't seem to understand that.

I was so concerned about one of my prior builds that I ended up not enjoying it and was always worried I was going to hurt my engine. It was fully forged, balanced, big cams etc etc. I had no reason to worry about it but the thought of all that money being thrown away prevented me from really enjoying the car. I don't want to do that again.

Enter the ****box 240 haha:lol:

Great build btw, I?m curious what shifter will you be using?

Well origonally I was going to adapt the Volvo shufter but that would have left me with a reverse pattern where full aft was park then reverse etc etc. Didnt like it and wanted something better after I started reading up on how important it is for the shifts to be accurate and not inbetween two positions.

Found a Hurst QuarterStick with new cable and all brackets locally for $80. Just need the guy to remove it from his drag truck so I can buy it.

As a side note and bonus the driveshaft fits perfectly! Trans fluid lines and shifter and I can back the car out of the driveway under its own power!

Well origonally I was going to adapt the Volvo shufter but that would have left me with a reverse pattern where full aft was park then reverse etc etc. Didnt like it and wanted something better after I started reading up on how important it is for the shifts to be accurate and not inbetween two positions.

Found a Hurst QuarterStick with new cable and all brackets locally for $80. Just need the guy to remove it from his drag truck so I can buy it.

As a side note and bonus the driveshaft fits perfectly! Trans fluid lines and shifter and I can back the car out of the driveway under its own power!

I have basically the same setup as yours, I initially thought I could use the stock shifter, but like you said shifts have to be accurate. Well I?m going to search for a different shifter. Thanks man and keep up the good work.

I have basically the same setup as yours, I initially thought I could use the stock shifter, but like you said shifts have to be accurate. Well I’m going to search for a different shifter. Thanks man and keep up the good work.

Yeah it didnt entertain me much and for $80 thats worth it so I dont have to lay under the car for hours trying to get the linkage just right so it doesnt hit everything and still grab all gears. Wasnt worth it.

As a bonus I had some extra time and was motivated so I finally finished mocking up the exhaust and made the final cut in the fender. Very excited how it turned out.

Incase you were wondering... yes the grinder slipped lol. I think it looks good considering I only had a 2" holes saw and a 4" cutoff wheel to work with.

Had a blast today. Made a little bracket to bolt the old tailpipe back onto the car lol

Also set the car on the ground to check for clearance at the front tire and downpipe.

Last edited:
Got the TransGo little boost check valve thing for the trans, ran the rest of trana cooler lines and started it up and ran it for about an hour.

Zero leaks and I can put it in gear and turn the fan on and off without it stumbling. Today was a great snow day off of work lol

Back