View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
esmth
dirty swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

Well if you damaged it side loading it it's gonna be an issue soon.
The shaft is coming back out next weekend to go to the machine shop. i'll just have them swap the bearing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
If it flops around completely freely manipulating it by hand it's good to go.
They seemed a-ok to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
Just out of curiosity, which one was it? IIRC, it's the rearmost u-joint that fails more frequently.
Yes, it was the rearmost one. All the others were perfectly fine, just sealed so I couldn't grease them without pulling them apart so I replaced them all with GKN ones with zerk fittings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
I don't think that disk is welded in there; it's a press fit. Sorry that it became dislodged. Probably the only way to remove it now is to cut open the driveshaft, remove it, and reweld the driveshaft together. Wait-- doesn't it have like a 3mm hole in the middle of it (like a fender washer)? Might get lucky with getting a long screw into that center hole and pulling it out, like a slide hammer dent puller.
It was my fault it became dislodged. I should have known the shaft was hollow and doing what I did was stupid. I may try to find a long screw and try what you described. I noticed the hole in it you speak of