• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeSr.'s 242 V-8 project

Would you mind giving me specs on that steering shaft? I'd like to get rid of my tapered one and spare some much needed room!

Well, It is about 70% complete. Gotta get the suspension pieces sorted out , and the rear axle. I have been collecting a lot of parts. Motor is buttoned up with LS6 valvesprings and a Howard's Cam copy of the GM HotCam 2, plus new lifters. I have to mount the crank pulley and front accessories. The megasquirt engine harness is built and I am using MSD plugin ignition controller for the 58 tooth wheel and cam sensor.
Lots of other stuff to go on- Coilovers, poly bushings, a pair of BNE's trick rear lower control arm bearings, Rear short Billy's, 4.10 G80, RX-7 front brakes. Gotta install fuel pump and fuel rail lines, clutch hydraulic line,install Yoshifab reinforcing plates front and rear,plus install short bumpers,flathood, air dam and NOS single rounds with NOS grille. Wideband, gauges, Etc., the list goes on. Slowed by installing floors in my house, plus other Volvos,lol. Hopefully one day soon.

Awsome thanks. The joint you linked, is that exactly what you used? I don't see set screws on them and don't want to go the weld on route. Did you grind notches in the steering shaft for the oe upper joint?

Awsome thanks. The joint you linked, is that exactly what you used? I don't see set screws on them and don't want to go the weld on route. Did you grind notches in the steering shaft for the oe upper joint?

Yes that is excactly the one I used and yes it does have a set screw. I did not have to grind any notches in the steering shaft, it went right in the upper joint.

Holy project car thread revival, Batman! Took the car for a shakedown cruise yesterday. Rough tune, but it runs and drives with no leaks.
Very happy with the handling, brakes. Got some clunks to sort out and will be taking it to The Gump next weekend for a Kenny tune.
Watch this thread for more details on the build and pics/vids.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vSXTFn7Xn54" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Really happy with the way the motor turned out. Rated at 315 crank hp originally. I thought with the mods it would do 350-375 crank hp. It did 325 whp-assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that translates into 374 crank hp, so just what I thought. I love the choppy idle of the Howard’s ASA cam.
Not chasing power now, but may try E85 and/or a squirt of nitrous in the future.

Last edited:
Back