• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 142 - The Stepchild of a Stepchild!

I finally decided to put some work into the old 142 today.
Let's just say that the available floor pan patch panel IS NOT that close to what is there. If I had bought two, I probably would have been better off. As it is, I'll try to fit it in again tomorrow.
Somebody with more experience that I could possibly get this is in much more efficiently than me. It's a complete pain in the ass! :grrr:

Some floor pan progress.

7NbqyKF.jpg

8PzrgSL.jpg

Rear section is weld in, will mess the the front & sides tomorrow. The area where the front of the floor meets the transmission tunnel is going to be interesting to say the least.

Three-Quarters welded in. Need to fit the firewall / floor / tunnel. Then the spot welds.
I'll need to cut out the area marked in black Sharpie & put in new sheet metal. The existing floor was a little thin & I blew thru.

LrtH8TP.jpg

A little clean up and it will look good. Nice work, some panel work can be a giant pain in the butt.

I'm afraid this welding is not welding... did you try to hammer it from bottom to see if it is actually holding?
To me it looks like not...

Yes, looks like it's getting good penetration, but I did fill a few pinholes from below. I'll try a hammer on it to see if the beads crack.

Last edited:
Can you post settings of your welder here? What are you using? 0,6 or 0,8 wire with co2/argon mix?
I think you are being a bit afraid of making holes :p

I'm using a Lincoln Handy MIG, 120V with co2/argon gas. Wire size is .023. Ran out so I ordered a new spool of ESAB "Easy Grind" .023 wire. Not sure, but I believe that would be 0.6.
Settings on the welder are a dial for wire speed, set at approx. 5.25, and two switches for heat range. The switches are set to "High" & "1", per the recommendations on the welder.
And you are correct about being afraid of making holes!!!

Back