• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16T Turbo with 3inch downpipe to 2.5 inch exhaust?

One thing to consider is that you will need the oil/water lines for the 16t turbo. The 12b uses different lines. I have the oil/water lines if you need them.

You can bolt on a 16t and run 10psi with no other mods. Maybe more, but as mentioned above, get a wideband if you want more boost.

Okay thanks.

Should the exhaust be installed first before the turbo or can the 16t be installed with the stock exhaust for the time being? Can the exhaust be installed on a 13t turbo or will it create backpressure issues?

The issue you have when you install a different turbo is that you at the very least need a down pipe that will mate up to your turbo. You can run an open down pipe until you take your car to an exhaust shop.

You can bolt on a 16t and run 10psi with no other mods. Maybe more, but as mentioned above, get a wideband if you want more boost.

I found this online - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51868

and in it, it says

"It?s not uncommon at all for folks to upgrade their downpipe to achieve greater flow while leaving the remainder of the exhaust in stock form to keep tailpipe volume more reasonable. Stock resonators and mufflers do impede flow at higher horsepower levels but not nearly as much as the catalytic convertor in the stock downpipe . This is in part due to the exhaust gasses cooling considerably by the time they reach the resonator and muffler such that the gasses are more dense, take up less space, and therefore create less back pressure as they exit the tailpipe. "

Thoughts on this application: 16T, 3" downpipe ---> temp stock exhaust @ 10psi and eventual 2.5" exhaust?

A 16T will work fine with stock turbo exhaust (with or without 3" dp). You will be able to free up some more hp if/when you upgrade the rest of the exhaust to 2.5" or 3" in the future. It is all up to what your goals are with the car.

Last edited:
A 16T will work fine with stock turbo exhaust (with or without 3" dp). You will be able to free up some more hp if/when you upgrade the rest of the exhaust to 2.5" or 3" in the future. It is all up to what your goals are with the car.

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases so I know every angle.

My goals are not to make it a race car, but just a fun EOD driver. Something that has speed and quickness but not a 12 second quatermile times. I'm aiming to be somewhere around 200HP - 220HP while not blowing my trans, clutch and gears. I want to stay within limits of what the trans, clutch et all can handle.

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases so I know every angle.

My goals are not to make it a race car, but just a fun EOD driver. Something that has speed and quickness but not a 12 second quatermile times. I'm aiming to be somewhere around 200HP - 220HP while not blowing my trans, clutch and gears. I want to stay within limits of what the trans, clutch et all can handle.

Lol, famous last words, I started with the same intent until I broke 2 transmissions and upgraded to a T5.

Bump

Is it possible to mount a 3 inch downpipe to the TD04-12B stock turbo on the 740T?

I assume they're asking so they can have the exhaust done now, and upgrade the turbo later.

Be cautious with this. Turbo's sit in different spots, and come with different exhaust housings.

THEORETICALLY if you wanted to you could do this though. I believe you'd need to change the flange going from the 12 to anything 15+ though.

I assume they're asking so they can have the exhaust done now, and upgrade the turbo later.

Be cautious with this. Turbo's sit in different spots, and come with different exhaust housings.

THEORETICALLY if you wanted to you could do this though. I believe you'd need to change the flange going from the 12 to anything 15+ though.

That's basically what I was planning on doing. Get exhaust done now and turbo later but It seems like I might as well just wait to do them both at the same time

A friend of mine is running 16v+t redblock @700PS+ with 2,5 cat back and as he checked - exhaust is not a restriction here so I would rather think about header flow and hot side of turbo to be restriction here.

A friend of mine is running 16v+t redblock @700PS+ with 2,5 cat back and as he checked - exhaust is not a restriction here so I would rather think about header flow and hot side of turbo to be restriction here.

Speaking of "hot side", I'm buying a 15g turbo from another member on here and one of the concerns was the "hot side/cold side" issue. I tried researching this but there isn't any actual detailed explanation of what they are... so, with the 15g on a b230ft engine, whats the deal with hot side/cold side?

I have to delay the buying for about a week due to family stuff but in the meantime id like to gather some info. I have to reclock it as well and ive never done that before

Back