• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I bought the worlds slowest 240

I used to have a 81 245. It had a 3.31 axle in it with weak ass B21F power. Even with a M46 it was diesel slow. It would have been an interesting race against a 240 diesel. I was so glad to get rid of that car.

Looks like the head was rebuilt in 06. I've been letting it fully warm up before driving it "fast," as I always do. I raced my friends Outback earlier. It went about as well as you'd expect.

Got some synth 5w40 Delo and a filter. Good oil for it?

As for the cooling system, it all looks good to me tbh. Coolant level is fine and it's a nice green color. I cleaned what little gunk there was in the condenser. It has the air scoop and there's no fan clutch. I haven't driven it on the highway since bringing it home but when I was trying to keep up with the Outback with my foot welded to the floor I saw the temp gauge move slightly higher than normal.

Also I jumped the AC pressure switch and the compressor kicked on, so just need to get a drier for that and see if it holds vacuum. I wonder if it'd benefit from a 960 efan swap. Same radiator, right? My turbo 240 has a 740 efan and it works great even with a hot condenser and intercooler in the way of the rad.

As for powersteering, would it be easier to just swap in the rack from my parts car? I believe it's a ZF, though I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I finally have a car that's actually worth washing.

Z1rskiAh.jpg

Regarding the overheating, it wouldn't surprise me that the 35-year old radiator is having flow issues.

Maybe the one in your parts car is better?

That may well make it worse. I don't know about a 240 specifically but in many cars the cooling airflow is carefully engineered and removing parts can stop air from going where intended.

I'd agree that it could possibly make it worse - but doubt it would make much difference in CT.

Might be worth spending a few bucks to have the radiator cleaned properly. Check out Radiator Hospital on Connecticut Boulevard in East Hartford. The guy has a good reputation and I'm told is very reasonably priced.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure the components are working properly before attempting other fixes.

I'd agree that it could possibly make it worse - but doubt it would make much difference in CT.

Might be worth spending a few bucks to have the radiator cleaned properly. Check out Radiator Hospital on Connecticut Boulevard in East Hartford. The guy has a good reputation and I'm told is very reasonably priced.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure the components are working properly before attempting other fixes.

Makes sense. I think I have a temp gun somewhere.. Temp hasn't been an issue any time other than doing WOT for extended time on the highway. And even then it climbs very slowly.

I wonder if a 960 efan would even fit. It's pretty tight.

What are my choices in terms of a trans swap? I really could go either way on auto/manual, I just want another gear for the highway. I'm assuming the gas bell housings don't bolt to the D24?

What are my choices in terms of a trans swap? I really could go either way on auto/manual, I just want another gear for the highway. I'm assuming the gas bell housings don't bolt to the D24?

You'll need the diesel specific bell housing if you want to swap to an m46 or m47 transmission.

Like the color, start staging it to 0.
is that the one where you blew the diff?

Blown diff was my '86 wagon.

I hate the awful bondo work, but I really wouldn't be able to bring the paint to the level it's at after fixing the bondo and getting it painted would cost a lot. So I'll probably just ignore it if I can.

Currently working on the AC.

Back