• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R vs 740 Turbo Thread

Also, 240s suck .

tenor.gif

Both of those cars are hideous.

I would prefer a 240 over both of those options,but if i had to chose: 940
But with your ideas being all over the place especially for being a newbie you'll probably just go buy a 240.
, then start trying to mod it.

940s feel more stable and boat like compared to an 850.

Op, how many cars have you owned?

89 300ZX Turbo, 86 740 GLE, 89 740 Turbo, 97 Jeep Wrangler, 2016 Honda Civic

Sold the ZX. Kept the 740 GLE. Also, One can be a """"'''''newbie'''''''''' on a online forum but that doesnt mean said personm knows nothing about their cars or volvos in general lol dont let your judgment trip you.

I like the 240's but my real first car was the 740 and since then I fell in love. Years later I still love them and own 2, hoping to be 3 and the 3rd a wagon.

I'd choose the 850R over a 740 turbo. The P80 series has more creature comforts and is easier to extract power from. I also think it's getting very hard to find examples of either model that are worth buying.

I'd choose the 850R over a 740 turbo. The P80 series has more creature comforts and is easier to extract power from. I also think it's getting very hard to find examples of either model that are worth buying.

Speaking from owning a hooptie '88 740 and a decent '00 V70R, they are hard to find in decent shape. But for what they go for, you have lots of room to clean them up. I paid $300 each for those two cars (and my '98 too).

I can't say much for the 740, I've only owned mine for about 2 months and I've never driven it, but I've had my V70 GLT for almost 3 years, and I love it. It's very comfortable for road trips and it handles reasonably well for what it is with stock suspension and wheels/tires. The cars have lots of potential for power and room for handling upgrades. Just search around on Volvospeed, you'll find some crazy stuff.
I agree with the brakes being less than adequate for spirited driving, but I also have cheapo Centric 280mm rotors and pads. They work, but not too well.
As for interior, yes, more creature comforts. The newer P80 interiors are nicer than the older 850 interior, but they all have dash mount problems. My car's dash is incredibly noisy and irritating. My 740's dash hasn't fared too well either, the glovebox totally fell out.

Maintenance cost on pre-1999 P80s is not bad at all. No ETM to worry about, no CVVT, and less finicky electronics. My cousin has a 240k mile '99 S70 T5 and it has its moments, but overall it's reliable. That car was just a victim of poor maintenance and abuse.

But asking this question on here and on VS you're going to get totally different answers. TB is primarily for red block/RWD cars, VS is primarily for white block/FWD cars.

Back