• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Member getting ready to go turbo

I just got to thinking then, I don't want the cold start injector if the 740's computers will compensate. Not to sound like a bouncing ball but thats just one more thing that can leak or fail.

I got the truck bed coating under the hood almost done, spent a bit more time under there with the grinder then I thought but glad I did.

Cut the top part of the exhaust today , will also do a cut in the center to align it correctly when I add build the support bracket for it. I will have to extend this a bit to reach my cat.

15027867_10210773046178272_8418700668832611294_n.jpg

15032755_10210773046298275_6602757011646406387_n.jpg

Waiting on the new clutch and a few other things as I proceed , but been sanding and painting a bunch of parts in the mean time.

I liked the location of the 02 hole so I left that where it is and will plug the other that came on the 240.

Also here in Maine we get the worst rust issues so I have taken the time to undercoat everything using a truck bed lining paint.

15094494_10210773206182272_777612605575695343_n.jpg

nice Progress!!!

I found one more issue I am hoping you can help me out with. The MAF tube/hose has a sensor in it. Of coarse my 1990 240 does not have a connection for it. I been researching it and I cannot find much about it.

This is the hose I am talking about and the sensor in it.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=1389648E&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=W0133-1613538&crossref=W0133-1613538&gclid=CNm22aPKvNACFQkKaQodOEcIgA

Air Temperature Sensor

I found out that its an air temperature sensor, but can't find if it throws codes or what its is suppose to adjust and how important it is to the computes I got. at this point I got some parts in some I am working up to this point and trying to read up on anything I can find but this thing don't seem to get much talk.

Called a PTC resistor. Will set check engine. Will run fine without it. Side bar: i used an LH 2.4 harness out of a 240. It makes things a whole hell of a lot easier, especially if your drunk doing the harness.

Called a PTC resistor. Will set check engine. Will run fine without it. Side bar: i used an LH 2.4 harness out of a 240. It makes things a whole hell of a lot easier, especially if your drunk doing the harness.

OK Great I found that! PTC resistor , Its hooked up 12v via the fuel pump relay so it gets power when the car is on....weird.

Thanks for the info a whole bunch more stuff is coming up in my sears now.

PTC Resistor

Ok this is what I found out and please feel free to steer me straight if I am wrong.

Following The diagram its grounded SB wire (guessing that means solid black) Then its also has one more wire that goes to it BL-Y ...The BL-Y wire connects to the BL-Y coming from the MAF, jet tronic control module, and the EFI Relay from the EFI Relay it then leads to the Radio suppression.

I am thinking I can just splice this thing into the BL-Y in my harness if I get an engine light.

http://www.autoelectric.ru/auto/volvo/940/1993/940-93.htm

Update

Well I got the engine installed, new clutch, gaskets , seals etc. Exhaust is complete, had to make one more cut after doing the flange to get it all to align. Have no engine lift so I installed the block and been building it up from there. Got the 100A alt in and a new water pump, then made some room for the 740 radiator to fit in the 240. Wow this thing is big.

15338755_10210980558205943_2207979802115200106_n.jpg

15380343_10210980568206193_8853861065003401278_n.jpg

15284850_10210984492544299_8654590312766213794_n.jpg

15327423_10210992252378290_6196022785310702823_n.jpg

I found out that its an air temperature sensor.

Called a PTC resistor. Will set check engine.

Wont set CEL. Just a heater for the PCV system. Sidenote- I still see those exact same parts on mid 2000's VW's.

Don't worry about it.

I just got to thinking then, I don't want the cold start injector if the 740's computers will compensate.

Don't need cold start. Just leave it unplugged. Also WONT set CEL.

Thank You

Wont set CEL. Just a heater for the PCV system. Sidenote- I still see those exact same parts on mid 2000's VW's.

Don't worry about it.

Don't need cold start. Just leave it unplugged. Also WONT set CEL.

Sure clears up my head as I am out there building this thing, I been a bit worried about it, but at least it was not a bottle neck holding me up.

what cam u running?

Right now all I have is the stock turbo cam from the 92 740. I was thinking about getting an A cam later down the road (still need to research this a bit more). But at this point my wife is wondering if I will ever stop smashing my pink piggy.

I still need Injectors, top end gasket kit, oem heater core hoses, rebuild the turbo. I assume that I will also have to get some turbo pipes and plumbing parts, sandwich plate adapter and an oil cooler.

I told my wife it will be about 800.00 more to finish this I went a bit high because she won't complain a bit if I stay under....lol

Glad I could ease your mind. I went thru the same "WTF is this thing!?" about 15 years ago regarding that little two wire unit in the intake hose. I measured the resistance across it and it was HUGE so I determined it was a resistor that gets hot and senses NOTHING. It simply gets 12v with the key on. Nothing more, nothing less. IDK where peeps thing a CEL will come from...

Hardest part is drilling the block for the oil return. This has been covered for almost 20 years now here, but I use a professional drill bit and tap and it works. I still have em.

I have been hoping to turbo one of my Bricks too recently, but tools are priority.

This is what $600 gets you from the truck...ouch, but it KICKS ASS. I run it with no muffler and wear my earmuffs!

picture.php

Right now all I have is the stock turbo cam from the 92 740. I was thinking about getting an A cam later down the road (still need to research this a bit more). But at this point my wife is wondering if I will ever stop smashing my pink piggy.

I still need Injectors, top end gasket kit, oem heater core hoses, rebuild the turbo. I assume that I will also have to get some turbo pipes and plumbing parts, sandwich plate adapter and an oil cooler.

I told my wife it will be about 800.00 more to finish this I went a bit high because she won't complain a bit if I stay under....lol
harald is selling the sandwich plate and cooler for cheap IDK where u live http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328010

I gave ya the link for injectors. turbo pipes are best found at local junk yards.

Make sure to mark the blade and housing before you rebuild the turbo unless you plan on having it rebalanced. (which I recommend)

harald is selling the sandwich plate and cooler for cheap IDK where u live http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328010

I gave ya the link for injectors. turbo pipes are best found at local junk yards.

Make sure to mark the blade and housing before you rebuild the turbo unless you plan on having it rebalanced. (which I recommend)

Yeah I followed the link on the injectors, I just put them on hold for now because they are located on the top of the engine and I am just buying bits and pieces that I can install right away. (just a budget thing). I am not using any old parts anything that can brake , wear out, or leak is getting replaced. I also won't buy that cheap euro stuff either so spending a little more now may take me a bit longer , but I want this car right.

This month has been bad on me, have had my boiler fail on me twice, and have had to put some work into my snow blowers that was of coarse more time and money. Getting ready to get me another batch of parts soon though and will resume progress.

Going to the next step

Ok now its time to finally purchase injectors, now I am wondering what injectors will suite my needs or will be the best ones for me.

I plan on swapping the cold side on my turbo to a 15 (at a later date) and I am not sure if the pink ones will give me enough fuel or not. I had my mind set on the Blues, but I am not sure if thats the ones I should go with they seem like an overkill in my situation.

So my question is what injectors would you go with?

Back