• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Modern stereo in a 140

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Anybody have any good pictures/processes of them putting a modern radio and speakers in their 140?
The only one I have is of Tfrasca's radio in his car (seen below), but I don't know how it's mounted and what one has to cut to make a new single DIN fit. It seems like he cut out a whole new dash panel for the single DIN setup.

RetroSound or start cutting your dash

The new radios in old cars look like shiet imo

^ :nod:

Hack it in the dash, put it in the glove box or the 72 only sub panel.

72Lowerdash1.jpg

Anybody have any good pictures/processes of them putting a modern radio and speakers in their 140?
The only one I have is of Tfrasca's radio in his car (seen below), but I don't know how it's mounted and what one has to cut to make a new single DIN fit. It seems like he cut out a whole new dash panel for the single DIN setup.

He just enlarged the hole to get rid of the two shaft holes. Most 140 series cars I come across have had it done. If you want something fairly modern without modifying the dash, you could find a Kenwood KRC-3006 tape deck. Shaft mount, has CD changer controls. Use an AUX input adapter for Kenwood decks on the changer input, then you can plug your phone in and play MP3's.

With respect to the B20 racket, it can be drowned out, even when the resonator can is blown out on the front end cap. I had an Alpine CD player in my old '73 145E and it was plenty loud enough to make the open exhaust B20F barely noticeable at highway speeds. That said, the 4.10 rear end howled like a mo' fo' above 25-30 mph, but I kinda expected that with 373,000 miles on it.

My car actually didn't have any cut out for a factory radio. I used a FEIN Tool to cut the DIN slot. The deck that I'm using looked ok with the GT cluster, because the volume dial had the exact same radial brushed finish as the needle dials in the gauges. At leas that's how I justified it.

If I was doing it again, I'd mount a hidden receiver under the passenger seat and use bluetooth and/or an aux cord. The no-radio dash was cool.

Get a bluetooth Marine Amp, tie it in to factory radio wiring to speakers. That way you can have either or.

I put one of these in my 240, because I wanted to keep the upper cubby for storage, and the lower cubby is a dumb place for a radio. It works great...especially for $18 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IXV4JSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61QDEpwImIL._SL1001_.jpg

I may have to look into something like this. It would be far less invasive. How is the sound quality?

Also,
What does everyone do for rear speakers in a 145? I'd prefer to not cut holes in the door panels as they're extremely nice and still retain the flat cargo area.

The sound quality isn't bad, but I have a decent set of speakers in the front doors. No rears though, just fronts.
For $18, it's pretty good, especially considering it's playing streaming music from my phone, through an aux cable. It's not audiophile quality though, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't trust it to deliver 50w over two channels, lol. I had to re-install the heat sink on mine, since it fell off after opening the box. Nothing some heatsink compound and hot glue couldn't fix though :).

Back