• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Damn those black covers look awesome. I'm still not sure what colour scheme I should do on mine.
The magnesium is a real bitch so I'm glad to see that the alabastine paint stripper seems to have worked, because you can't really get over the counter paint stripper that actually works anymore :p.
Where did you get the gasket/seal kit and what did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
I've found some leaking valve seals on one cylinder and I'm contemplating rebuilding the whole top end like you did.

Only if built with quad turbos, of course!

Come on Sander, doooooo it!

(And on your way to doing things unreasonable, give me your R/T Scat Pack. Christmas is just around the corner!)

P.S. - :cheers: on still wanting to implant a motor with so many moving parts

Maybe it'll get turbos somewhere in the future, can't say it will never be turbocharged. First want to get it going like this :).

But if I give you my Challenger, I won't have a running car anymore :-P

Damn those black covers look awesome. I'm still not sure what colour scheme I should do on mine.
The magnesium is a real bitch so I'm glad to see that the alabastine paint stripper seems to have worked, because you can't really get over the counter paint stripper that actually works anymore :p.
Where did you get the gasket/seal kit and what did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
I've found some leaking valve seals on one cylinder and I'm contemplating rebuilding the whole top end like you did.

The paint stripper worked just fine. I used a black 2k primer which also seems to hold fine on the magnesium. The gaskets I ordered all over the place. I think Elring sells a kit for this engine, but I couldn't find it. Elring is the OEM supplier of Mercedes. A lot of other O rings and other seals you'll have to order at Mercedes. I would definitely replace all the valve seals. They are all dried out by now due to age. Plus they are cheap. Lots of work to replace though.

In other news, finished up the last few things I still had to do on the oil pan. I wanted to connect the front part of the sump with the rear main part so all the oil in the pan can be sucked up by the oil pump. Otherwise the oil in the front part of the sump would be sort of stuck there. I used some 10 AN fittings and connectors/hose. I also added a baffle to prevent all the oil from sloshing forward under heavy braking and relocated the dipstick tube to the new rear sump.

Last edited:
Mounted the finished oil pan on the engine, it's good to go in the car again. I also took the valve body out of the transmission and replaced the conductor plate, as this is a known part to go wrong on these transmissions. I also wanted to replace the pressure regulator spring in the valve body, but when I opened it up, I found that this trans has had a factory rebuild at some point in its life and has the latest version of the valve body installed. That one doesn't have issues with that spring as it has a much bigger one.
While I had the valve body out, I took it apart completely and drilled an oil passage to 4mm in diameter in the plate that separates both halves (don't know the name for it). This little mod solves one issue it would have with the stand alone transmission controller I'm using. Without this mod, the engine rpm would flare up between shifts when shifting from 3rd into 4th. The stock mercs don't suffer from it because the trans controller works together with the engine ecu and reduces power during shifts. It's pretty much ready to go back in the car now.

Here you can clearly see the point of the new baffle in the sump:

And that concludes the rear sump conversion of the V12:

Factory rebuild sticker (kunde is German for customer and auftragsnummer means work order number):

This connector is also a point where these transmissions tend to leak. I replaced it too.

Valve body out and removing the solenoids and conductor plate (black thing):

That hole needs to be drilled to 4mm to fix the rpm flare issue when using a stand alone trans controller:

Valve body back in the trans with a fresh filter:

Replaced the input shaft seal too while I was at it:

Last edited:
Sweet project, subscribed, would love to see this thing in person!

Thanks! Sure, that can be arranged :)

In other news, the engine and trans are back together and in the car (hopefully) for good.

Swapped the flex plate for the later style, which has a 60-2 tooth configuration instead of the weird old one. Also finished the heat shielding before the engine can go back.

It all fits perfectly underneath, with the new sump behind the subframe like stock. Even the 960II lower chassis cross brace still fits, although it just has a few mm clearance from the trans bell house at 1 point, so I'll probably make a bit of a dent in it at that point. It doesn't need much. I had to sort of guesstimate if it would fit, as I only changed the front suspension to the 960II one after the engine was out again. I still have to do some work on the transmission cross member, after that it'll get painted too.

Last edited:
This is so good!

Thanks!

Looks awesome in the engine bay. And seems like it's mounted nice and low.

Thanks, I mounted it as low as it can possibly go in there. The engine is so long that hood clearance becomes an issue at the front otherwise, as the intake manifold has to go over both cylinder heads to each side.

Yeah, after this is done you really won't need your Scat Pack :cool:

Hehe I think I'll hang on to it :-P

Sweet this car is basically a McLaren F1 now.

Haha needs more gold! And to be driven in reverse then to get the engine in the back

Looks stock, perfect fit :domo:

Damn that fits in there really well.

Thanks, it fitted a little too well in some places.

Damn that fits in there really well.

Thanks, it fitted a little too well in some places. Had to notch the 960 lower chassis brace a little bit as the bell housing was just touching it. Cut a piece out, flipped it around and welded back in to get a concave shape. Also finished the trans mount and fitted the rediculously huge starter motor to it. I guess it can qualify as a hybrid now?

Last edited:
Nice, you weren't lying when you said the volvo has a huge engine bay.
I've got mine in now and although there is space, that huge starter is scaring me :p.

This thing is awesome. I knew I should have pulled that engine along with bmw v12 when they were right next to each other at local yard. Both with ~120k miles...

But I already have 2003 and 97 m3 engines and 85 2.3 16v Mercedes sitting ...

What gold insulation did you use? How do those hold up

Back