• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 88 245 N/A Cam Rack Leak

intothelabyrinth

I'm diving into a new to me wagon and one of the first orders of business is to get the power steering going. When I got the car it had no belts on the A/C or PS. I pulled the boots on both sides of the rack and found the passenger side is leaking. From what I have read, that is the standard story for a high mileage rack. I'm weighing my options here, my first idea was to rebuild the rack myself...but damn. The drivers side is dry as can be, so my next idea was changing the seal and o-ring on the passenger side with it still on the car. Is that a dumb idea? There is a cam rack off a 93 about 100 miles from me for $100, that might be my best bet. At the moment the closest ZF rack is 250 miles away. I'm shying away from the rebuilt racks as I have heard they are prone to leaking out of the box. If it was you, what would be your plan of attack?

Bought my '89 with a leaking rack. Changed boots and threw in some Lucas stop leak. Dry as a bone now. Worth the price to give it try before diving in knee deep.

I might as well try it... I think there is actual power steering fluid in it right now too instead of Trans fluid. I believe the ps fluid is thinner... I should flush it with trans fluid and add the stop leak and see what happens to start. I'm not scared to swap the rack, but I'm also not trying to drop $250 first thing on this car! Too bad my parts car also has the same leak!

A rack replacement is not difficult at all. A flush is good but I'll usually just take an asepto and suck the fluid out of the reservoir and refill with new fluid.

a9eEU6ah.jpg

Welp, I put some belts on, put a whole 12 oz bottle of lucas stop leak, topped the reservoir up with ATF, and started the car. The reservoir immediately went dry, so the rack was prob all the way empty and I just needed to put more fluid in, but when I looked under the car after I killed it, it was leaking like a sieve from the passenger side, and from the pinion seal. I reckon this rack is toast! There is a pick and pull near me with three 240s, one of them being a 93. I can go pull that rack for $40. I'm thinking I will go look and if the reservoir is up, and inside the boots are dry I will do that to save $200... this will eventually be my main wagon but right now it is just my "other" wagon... I have also debated putting a manual rack on it. This wagon is the closest to "the one" that I have gotten my hands on so far. It has the M47 5 speed, no rotten wiring, and no roof rack.

While you are in there might as well grab the later model power steering pump off the '93. Moves the reservoir off the drivers side inner fender well. Be sure to get the bracket with the rubber bushing attached, its ever so slightly different and keeps the belt lined up with the new reservoir.

I'm headed to the junkyard in the morning in search of the 93 rack and pump. I know i need the hose, and I think I need the tensioner assembly. Is there anything else I need to drop the 91+ pump onto the 86+ bracket?

Back