• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

I've had an extra valve cover sitting downstairs for a while. I decided I needed to balance out the day yesterday with an manly activity after a daddy-daughter date dress shopping with my 3yo daughter.
20151109_194412.jpg

Just your standard wrinkle finish with the letters sanded off. I'll hit the letters with some polish some time in the not too distant future. Didn't get any good pictures of it on the car, battery was dead. Looks good tho.

:edit: Pic from this morning.
valvecover.jpg

Last edited:
i love your build... so inspiring.

Wow, thanks. I feel like it's pretty mild right now, and I'm slow... but I enjoy the details. Hopefully by the spring it'll be more inspiringer. I really hope I can keep the motivation on boil through the winter. The struggle is real tho.

Got the wheels a day early. 17x8 BBS RG-R, 5x120, et40, forged, ~17lbs a piece.

The seller just taped some cardboard to the face and let er ride, but it looks like they got here unscathed. Look to be in really good shape, he said they only have about 10k miles on them. I have a cheapo ebay adapter for testfitting purposes left over from the 740. I'll check the room front and rear and then order some adapters, probably from Motorsports Tech. Disregard the stretched 215 40s on them right now, I'll be putting some appropriate rubber on them.

DSC04475.jpg

DSC04482.jpg

DSC04480.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to spring. Hopefully the car will be a little less invisible at cars and coffee. :cool:

So many factors when you're buying used wheels; cost, condition, width, offset, redrill vs adapt, weight, style, cost. I love 2 and 3 piece wheels with a nice lip, but I decided I really wanted something well under 20lbs a corner. To get a multipiece wheel that weighs around what these do, I'd easily have twice what I have in these. I love the spoke style of these, more aggressive than the Style 5s on my old 740 and the offset will allow me to put them where i want with adapters. Pretty stoked.

Put a straight pipe in place of the rear muffler and swapped over some old tires since the perfos are off. Str8 misfit yo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a7GVJkEftTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, adapters should be here Wednesday. Got some Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted today. So going from 16x6.5 Perfos with 205-55s conti DWs to 17x8 BBS RG-Rs with 225-45s, looks like the new setup is the same weight if not slightly lighter on a bathroom scale.

[Mr. Burns]Excellent.[/Mr. Burns]

Last edited:
20160103_185040.jpg

Well, the car is laid up for the winter. Took apart the exhaust over the weekend for a few reasons. I went ahead and chopped a bit out of height out of the downpipe as the center section of the exhaust was was sitting too low for my tastes. Bonus is that I'll be able to redo one of the crappier welds I did on it.

I'm also finally adding a 3" magnaflow cat (sorry Gaia) and I'll go ahead and add a flex section while I'm at it. The impetus for all this was simply adding a bung for the AEM Failsafe wideband I got recently. Seeing as solid stretches of time aren't the easiest to find and how slow i usually work, this should be a month long process.:lol:

:Edit: Who's the mod for the showroom section? I need to change the title of this.

Last edited:
20160131_120224.jpg

20160131_160052.jpg

20160131_154250.jpg

Well, didn't get everything done I wanted to. I totally forgot to order a flex section and didn't realize it until I went out to the garage saturday morning (I'm bad at making lists). I also bought some header paint to make the downpipe look all purdy, but ran out of time. I also need to order another band clamp.

I did shorten the dp, welded the bung for the wideband and finally installed a 3" magnaflow cat in there. It's not the prettiest thing, but it snakes nicely down through the engine compartment and fits tighter up against the underside of the car. I also don't feel as conflicted as a tree-hugging car enthusiast.

Next up, wiring the AEM Failsafe and mounting it in one of A-A-ron's vent pods.

Last edited:
More stuff done, got the AEM Failsafe wideband installed. I have a third (surprise!) kid due in June, so I'm kinda sorta on a blitz to get stuff done before then because I realize with 3 kids I'm going to have zero time. :lolsigh: Upside is that after two daughters, we're having a son.

DSC04681.jpg

Oh and I snagged a NIW intake. Not sure when I'll get this on though.

20160219_1642111.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, NIW intake. NBD. Just big USD. :lol:

Congrats on the kid! My wife and I are expecting our first, so I'll get to measure first-hand the correlation between time spent child-rearing and Volvo-tomfoolery.

Oh, NIW intake. NBD. Just big USD. :lol:

Congrats on the kid! My wife and I are expecting our first, so I'll get to measure first-hand the correlation between time spent child-rearing and Volvo-tomfoolery.

Thanks! 1 kid is a significant life change, but pretty manageable. 2 kids is twice the work and when parenting really starts. I've heard that 3 kids is when all hell breaks loose because you're outnumbered. The fact that our oldest daughter is very responsible and helpful for a 6yo gives us hope. I'm being honest with myself though, if I thought my time was limited now... it's going to be nill in June. Oh and I'm also turning 39. :omg:

My wife has ok'd me going to the VCOA Nationals at Road America in September. I'm super jacked for that. More motivation too.

Last edited:
Back