• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'74 242 T6 Recreational Vehicle

Also fun when building, right? :)

I'm in something similar to this, this is an old weapon depot, now used as potato storage with 1 meter thick walls :-P

Also fun when building, right? :)

I'm in something similar to this, this is an old weapon depot, now used as potato storage with 1 meter thick walls :-P
Even more fun I'd say :D. Ah yes, because you can't protect potatoes enough. Makes for an awesome garage then, almost like a bond villain's secret lair :-P

So I finally had some time again to work on the 242.. had some issues with the 940, spent too much time at work, been around the house a lot gathering fire wood, spending time with my GF and kid, birthdays, etc...

I have a whole week off right now so hopefully I can make some progress pulling the B23, and maybe _MAYBE_ test fit the T6.

Tonight I had a better look at the engine and took a lot of stuff off, aux bracket, heater lines to the intake, crank ventilation etc.
Just to make room to have a clear view when test fitting the engine and for making mounts.

Twin turbskies, they're cute arent they?

Two things I'm running in to; I need to fab a lot of piping in this configuration, the rear turbo is facing 'the wrong' side and also the main coolant pipe needs to be reconstructed for obvious reasons.
Should I stick with the stock turbos or go single HX35 or something similar? Fabbing a custom turbo manifold and single pressure piping and exhaust wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Other thing is that with the dual turbos the 960 pass side engine mount doesn't fit, hits the turbo hotside stud.
Not really a problem since I had the idea of building my own mounts but it would be more convenient having it plug 'n play.

Oh, the 4th bolt hole on a T6 is already tapped instead of just a pilot hole (like in a 5 cyl), but the upper right bolt is a M10 instead of M8 like the other 3.
The aluminium mount has beef enough to drill it to 11 or 12mm, but then hits the stud.
It would be possible to trim the mount, but I wouldn't trust the integrity of it anymore, so I'll build one from scratch.

Not a lot going on, but theres some progress. More next week I guess.

You're supposed to switch the manifolds around. The manifold that is higher needs to go in the front spot. You will still have to redo the lines.

I don't really see advantage in that, thought of getting another set of manifold and fiddle them around a bit but it's a lot of work to relocate 2 turbos and for what?
It's not perfect but I can work with the stock manifolds to build a decent 2->1 downpipe, as well as the V band hi/low press side piping which has some nice 90? bends to fab up something pointing to forward to the air intake and IC.

36826838385_6672025d84_z.jpg

Haha yeah I figured, but compared to whipping out the welder, grinder, some hammers, drills and a acy torch for making a new pair of mounts it would be too much work for me for this setup. I'd rather go all out then and build a single turbo manifold.

But I kinda decided to stick with these little ones in the first place and make it all running, as I mentioned before I'm not out to push it to the limits (yet).

Made a little PS of what I had in mind for wheels for a long time. I really like the look of these wheels (V70 Antlia), there's some sort of Galaxy wheel hidden in them. I know, it's probably me :p
But I really doubt if they would hold, I don't think I would trust a thin flange of cast aluminium and without turning/milling down the rear side 'gussets' at the end of the spokes they also won't fit the 330mm brake setup. But they iz so gorgeous :oops:

Last edited:
Swapped the oil pans last night. Love the fact that it's just plug 'n play, all the bolt holes are there already for the longer oil pickup and 4 extra bolts in the middle of the sump which the S80 pan didn't have.
First I'm going to clean the pan real well and put some new seals before putting it all together permanently again.

I have the idea to put the engine back as far as possible, (maybe weld a wheel barrow in the firewall) so I might have to trim the ridges on the front of the sump off to clear the sway bar. I believe they're only there as a guide for the positive wire from the battery to the starter on the 960.

Nothing spectacular but since the oil pan was still covered in mud and/or cow dung (really, it smelled like that) I cleaned it a little tonight.

I got some bio degreaser from my father in law which works extremely good (no brand agricultural wholesale), with just a dish brush and some hot water the honey-like residu comes right off.
The outside is a very rough cast so still some dirt is trapped in all the little pinholes. Maybe after I assembled everything I have the complete engine CO2 blasted; no particles like regular blasting media intruding parts you don't want to and no damaging of surfaces.

Oh crap I didn't even know there were T6 240s around already over here :) Nice projects, I can definately get some ideas out of those.

Here at home I hardly use the compressor but I can pretty much do what I want without waking the kid :)

How are your projects coming along?

The 242 is sleeping since 2years. It just got a b230f swap when i stored it. Plan is to take it out of storage this februari to use it as daily. Probably gets a lpg injection kit from Poland.
The 740 was daily this year, had the head freshend up and mounted a 16T. Only plans on that car is swapping a locker and 302 brakes on it i have laying around for some time now.

(cross post) Got some XC90 calipers for cheap. Not sure if I'll use them cause they're really heavy indeed.
The set is almost 13kg without the carrier, which will add about 2 kg each I'd expect. This vs 7.2kg for the aluminium XYZ ones (some mounting hardware and pistons I took out in the cup). With adapters the unsprung weight quite add up.

The XC90 calipers are really huge as you can see, the XYZ are over 30 cm/12" in lenght but they kind of get dwarfed next to them.
I'll see whether I'll use them or not, Mattis pointed me to BMW E38 4 pot calipers which would could be found pretty easy around here with good rebuild packages available as well.

This side of the engine was covered in greasy gunk, cleaned that up and drilled and tapped the holes for the 960 mounts.
Still I want it a lot cleaner than this, maybe I'll have it C02 pellet blasted before it stays in the car definately.
The pass side engine mount doesn't clear the to be downpipe, so for now they'll only be used as a reference when fitting the engine.

How much whp is your intended goal? Very interesting project you have, will be looking

forward for more updates as time goes by.:cool:

Thanks

J rod

Thanks. First I will make it run stock like it is right now, want to make sure to have the CVVT working properly.
It seems that ECUmaster EMU Black/Classic can take care of the CVVT, so that will probably be the ECU of choice.
Will add some boost to make around 300~330 on the wheels, maybe up till 400 at the crank to keep it safe with stock internals.

Back