• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

KL Racing 8v NA Header 2017

very cool, I would like to change out my old stahl 4-1 header for one of these.

How come? Wouldn't the 4-1 design provide better low/mid-range torque?

Assuming any website navigation issues, it was a fairly straightforward process??

Yes it was. The only issue I ran into was this: I registered on their site and added my address to my profile. I live in a condo with 4 digit unit numbers. When I was checking out my unit address appeared correctly (i.e. all four digits displayed); however, the email confirmation I received had the 3rd digit missing. I quickly emailed them to inform them, and they responded right away to let me know that they updated the shipping label. Didn't have any issues other than that.

Also, if you're like me and you check tracking information every 5 minutes, customs felt like an eternity! No updates we're posted for almost a week, then one day it was Arrived in Phoenix :cool:

You can always paint it with some POR20 and put more coats of paint on later. The inside will get covered with carbon so it will get coated from your engine.

How come? Wouldn't the 4-1 design provide better low/mid-range torque?

Hmmmmmm no. the 4-2-1 thing is supposed to be all about broader powerband, isn't it? You see in invariably on rally cars and they have to operate from 3000-7000.>

ya know? a 90L just out of the woods and you snap throttle shut and brake like hell and initiate...ebgine revs dropped from 7000 down to say 1400 (idle) so you jump on the gas and it sure as fawk better PULL NOW!.. Your cornering--balance everthing depends on it pulling... 4-2-1

4 into 1 I have seen on roadrace cars....and non-poofter road race car with have a box that close enough the motor drops no more than 1000-1200 rpm on a shift so PEAK POWER is the overarching concern..and what do you see? 4 to 1..

Might have to get one of these for my otherwise stock b230f... would look good in the engine bay and would give me a chance to re-do the rest of the leaky ass exhaust... I'm assuming for an otherwise stock motor there would be basically 0 performance gain with one of these?

Might have to get one of these for my otherwise stock b230f... would look good in the engine bay and would give me a chance to re-do the rest of the leaky ass exhaust... I'm assuming for an otherwise stock motor there would be basically 0 performance gain with one of these?

You should have a tangible seat of the pants performance gain. Long ago we put a IPD header on our 76 245 with a B20F in it and got a reasonable performance gain. That was with a 4 to one header.

• MS2 - Full sequential, ls2 coils deeworks 8v bracket, modified firmware to cut AC compressor at TPS Flood Clear setting
  • Single in tank fuel pump, AN line, ADC fuel pressure sensor
  • cold air intake, K&N filter
  • IPD VX Cam
  • IPD Lowering Kit, Konis, 5spoke 940 turbo wheels, IPD sway bars
  • 940 electric fan conversion
  • Parallel flow condenser with custom AC lines

Do yourself a favor and dump the VX cam. Get an Enem V16 NA cam and a worked over head, otherwise that header will do zilch in terms of performance improvements.

• MS2 - Full sequential, ls2 coils deeworks 8v bracket, modified firmware to cut AC compressor at TPS Flood Clear setting
  • Single in tank fuel pump, AN line, ADC fuel pressure sensor
  • cold air intake, K&N filter
  • IPD VX Cam
  • IPD Lowering Kit, Konis, 5spoke 940 turbo wheels, IPD sway bars
  • 940 electric fan conversion
  • Parallel flow condenser with custom AC lines

My experience adding the header to a relatively stock motor was fairly negligible. I found the cam (which you've done), larger exhaust and lightened fly-wheel (if manual) all provided a much better bang for the buck. I added the header last and really was disappointed in the results - didn't really notice much of anything. Sure that changes with a head or longblock that has seen significant modification.

Just my 2 cents. Looks like a well designed header.

:wave:

Do yourself a favor and dump the VX cam. Get an Enem V16 NA cam and a worked over head, otherwise that header will do zilch in terms of performance improvements.

Sort of my thoughts as well. Though I had a different cam, never used the VX.

That said even with a better cam I didn't notice squat with the addition of the header after the other aforementioned mods.

Last edited:
For most NA stuff, the stock compression isn't enough to make use of most of these cams. To get the most out of these cams, you need an adjustable cam gear and play with the advance to get the best performance. If you don't want to put in new pistons, put a thinner HG and cut the head.

An enem V15 will work very well. While a V16 is also a great cam. The V15 is called the street performance torque cam for a reason.

Where can one of these be purchased?

I'm loving the info in this thread BTW. If I could travel back in time, I probably wouldn't've purchased the VX cam. It was one of the first purchases I made some 3 years ago when I used to believe IPD was the best place for Volvo performance parts :oogle:

My engine is likely due for a rebuild, as it has well over 300,000 on it. My plan was to get the exhaust re-done as it's 30 years old, rusted, and leaky. I've had trouble dumping fuel from the false lean readings. The main reason for the header was I didn't want to invest any more $$ into this old system, and if I could fab up 2.5" cat back from the header, then I'd be in a good place to +t in a few years (unless I could get decent performance out of an NA DD).

I bought my cams a long time ago from enem.se. I ordered on the phone with them and spoke to Jan the proprietor. I don't know who is there now. The cams have served me well for a long time. Not going to be the cheapest cam. but they have a wide variety and were very pleasant.

Where can one of these be purchased?

I'm loving the info in this thread BTW. If I could travel back in time, I probably wouldn't've purchased the VX cam. It was one of the first purchases I made some 3 years ago when I used to believe IPD was the best place for Volvo performance parts :oogle:

My engine is likely due for a rebuild, as it has well over 300,000 on it. My plan was to get the exhaust re-done as it's 30 years old, rusted, and leaky. I've had trouble dumping fuel from the false lean readings. The main reason for the header was I didn't want to invest any more $$ into this old system, and if I could fab up 2.5" cat back from the header, then I'd be in a good place to +t in a few years (unless I could get decent performance out of an NA DD).

300,000 its dead. You need new pistons and a new bore..
You cannot do a HiPo n.a. and then turn that high comp n.a. thing into a turbo motor.
N.a in the end is about high compression which equals torque.
Turbo is about compression + boost so you have LOTS of charge crammed in and that is about torque..
Its always about more POP..
You just do it differently
Pistons and cams are different turbo vs n.a.

Decide what you want to do..Then do it.
Not:
er um I thinkmaybe Iwanna dothis but then Iwannadothatmaybe sohowcanIdo everything

You CAN have plenty of n.a. fun but not if you listen to guys who have maybe build 1 slightly warmed up engine in their lives..

Tell me more about the condenser of yours! I want to put in a cam when I rebuild my spare engine with a header but right now upgraded condenser for the Houston heat and humidity is next!

Great thread btw. Thanks for sharing.

Back