• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

elusive b230ft double valve springs

phillazenby740t

Snorting coca cola
Does anybody know of anyplace that might sell double valve springs for my b230ft, just ordered ipd turbo cam and im afraid the stock ones will float.

Thanks
Phil

For the IPD cam and stock engine management, stock springs are fine. New stock springs would also be fine if yours are high mileage (like 200,000 miles). If you are using 7000 rpm or more, you may want to look into a cam beyond the IPD cam and stiffer springs. I use stiffer single springs, rather than double springs. There is no advantage to creating any more drag on the valvetrain than is necessary.

Philip Bradley

i just got some springs for my b230ft. they are out of a nissan engine. they are much stiffer than volvo stock springs, but they are the exact some diameter and size. so they fit perfectly, no changing the seats or retainers. if you give me a day or two i'll get the box from my shop and give you the exact specs so you can try to order some.

hey

So if using a 531 with kg2t cam and planing to redline at 7k
stock valves wouldnt cut it?
were can i get stiffer springs?

str8krewzn said:
So if using a 531 with kg2t cam and planing to redline at 7k
stock valves wouldnt cut it?
were can i get stiffer springs?

Get springs & retainers from KG Trimning when you get the cam. Single springs will pass through bad harmonic periods, the only exception being the varible rate barrel shaped springs that are gaining in popularity.

Boosted242 said:
i just got some springs for my b230ft. they are out of a nissan engine. they are much stiffer than volvo stock springs, but they are the exact some diameter and size. so they fit perfectly, no changing the seats or retainers. if you give me a day or two i'll get the box from my shop and give you the exact specs so you can try to order some.
Please do! That would be really interesting information to have floating around the board.

Any kind of valve spring will weaken significantly after 50 to 100 thousand miles. At least get a new set of stockers. If you want to wind it over 6000 rpm, go stiffer.

For 6000 stock springs work just fine, 7000 is the limit (that is where I have my stop), if you want to go above 7000 you need harder/double springs.

But with redblocks, 6000 is enough for 300 hp, 7000 is 400+ territory.

:)
Patrick

ko0

But im not sure how much miles the 531 has
and im getting larger vlaves in it
so im not sure if stock springs strong
enough to hold larger valves and go up to 7k

I will disagree that 7000+ rpm is 400+ territory.

Peter made 400+ horsepower at 5200 RPM with a 6000 rpm redline........these are not honda motors. Great HP can be made at a useable range.

I´m just saying, easy power: 375.8HP / 533NM (393lb/ft) @ 4000rpm @ 1.7bar (25psi)
And it is mostly on common parts (at least here in Volvo country).

Don´t believe me? Look here: http://www.garaget.org/?car=1562

Tell me if you need any translation.

frpe82 said:
I?m just saying, easy power: 375.8HP / 533NM (393lb/ft) @ 4000rpm @ 1.7bar (25psi)
And it is mostly on common parts (at least here in Volvo country).

Don?t believe me? Look here: http://www.garaget.org/?car=1562

Tell me if you need any translation.

On 7:1 none the less.... crazy. Any more info on the nissan springs yet?

Comp Cams 981-16
PN: 981
Quantity: 16
# Outside diameter: 1.254 in.
# Inside diameter: .880 in.
# Seat load: 105 lbs. at 1.700 in.
# Open load: 295 lbs. at 1.250 in.
# Coil bind: 1.150 in.
# Rate: 423 lbs.

Widely available, very very welllll tested in race duty, drop in springs for a B230.

-Andy

DerSnart said:
On 7:1 none the less.... crazy. ...
Yes, it was just a little thing on the side to show you can make power without high RPM.

Stereophile33 said:
I will disagree that 7000+ rpm is 400+ territory.

Missunderstand me correctly. ;-)

I am not talking about where max power is, rather what I meant with 7000 rpm is where the usable rev-range is. For example a more or less stock engine will have a useable range from 2500 - 5500, start tuning with a larger turbo, another cam etc, and you will most likely move the range higher. A typical 400 hp redblock will most likely have a range from 3500 - 7000.

In most cases the more power you make the higher rpm you will have to use.

Actually rpm = horsepower, but that is a different discussion.

frpe82 said:
I?m just saying, easy power: 375.8HP / 533NM (393lb/ft) @ 4000rpm @ 1.7bar (25psi)

The most interesting part of that power is that the dyno said 303 RWHP and then managed to make that 375 FlyWHP, that is why RWHP is always much more interesting to read about. ;-)

Also, the peak hp was at 6000 rpm and peak torque was at 4000.

:)
Patrick

Back