• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Finally...Gary's 74 144

Nope, didn't do any real measuring on the cam, didn't have time. The specs John sent me though are 264/268 @ .020, .427 lift so it's pretty similar to the VV61 in terms of lift but with a longer duration and different lobe center (110 on the VPD, 108 on the VV61).

I can't see how anyone could assemble an engine properly without measuring everything. The 264/268@.020" isn't correct, 221/228@.050" is the 1st version of his street cam. Lift, he is stretching the truth, the exhaust should be .427 lift" net after you set the lash to .020". The inlet should be .273" or .283" lobe lift giving ."391 or "406 lift with lash set to .018". Stick your dial indicator on top and measure each one at the retainer while baring it over.

I suspect he or a friend got a cam grinder and started grinding their own. VPD's "Street Performance"cam appears to be a VV-71 for the exhaust and a worn copy of Volvo's D grind for the inlet. Latter he says improved the inlet lobe, likely by finding a better D cam to copy. I think the SP cam fullfills 2 needs. 1st, it's very gentle, so should break in successfully most of the time. 2nd, it would work good with his supercharger system. 90% of the performance gains you feel would be due to the drastic exhaust port improvements. It should be great on fuel

Didn't have time to do much, since the parts arrived saturday morning, needed the car on the road sunday morning.

Those specs I gave you are as he wrote them to me via email, so I dunno. Different lobe centers, plus he claims a different lobe profile, didn't compare to the VV61 I pulled close enough to take pic's or anything. If I could, I'd take pics but this ain't easy like the OHC's. lol

I'll be tearing the motor down in the next couple years anyway so I'll see what's up then.

Wow! Car came a far way! Current pics of the whole thing?

I can't believe all the damage thatbthoef did to the car! Freaking insane! Why couldn't they just break a dam window!

No kidding!

I should hopefully have some legit pic's of it up in here soon...got a legit photographer to take a few cool shots over the weekend. :)

Oh, ****, they didn't. Photobucket is blocked at work, maybe I'll try and remember to toss a couple up.

In other news, have a 2-piece driveline in the garage, plan to get that modded for the T5, hopefully be rid of the bad vibes for good.

See, now, that is where you're wrong. Bribing the judges would involve having money to bribe them with in the first place, and bribing that many judges, well, yeah, I'm not Bill Gates.

Well, that took a while. Pic's finally updated, hopefully imgur doesn't follow photobucket anytime soon...

But here's a couple nice pics thanks to Captain Tonus!
VntLDc8l.jpg

Qx4NruPl.jpg

2k2Dfrhl.jpg

Also started acquiring parts for the next step in the process...
ylq8SUyl.jpg

Haven't done much other than some tuning lately. Did have to replace the alternator, lost a winding in it. While in there I decided to go thru and upgrade all the 45 year old high current wiring. All new #4 from the alternator to battery, new battery to starter cables, new battery to junction block cables, etc. After doing all that it REQUIRED a retune, since things changed that much. Lights are far brighter now, starter is happier, bass is happier, even MS is happier. lol

I did run into some issues with the rear end though. While trying to figure out the vibration from the trans I found the diff was noisy as well. Already had an aluminum cover for it, figured why not pull the cover, see what's going on. I was greeted with this...
apyTCAWl.jpg

rPATXZql.jpg

For those who can't ID the issue right off...that left cap is on the wrong direction and the contact patch sucked. Seeing that I knew something wasn't going to be happy most likely, so I pulled the axles, wanted to check the bearings. Once the axles were out I went to pull the diff. Okay, so it's tight, I'll grab the big pry bar...still won't budge. Strange, but okay, I have the factory case spreader, let's give that a whirl. Nope, still nothing when cranked up 2 turns. Damn, okay, limit is 3.5 turns. Done, okay, small pry bar should easily pop this thing out. Nope. 3' pry bar out of the BFT drawer, had to walk it out little by little! Crap that was tight, later inspection found it was installed with .036" preload, spec is .006". Okay, being that tight, bearing inspection revealed this...
1zAb0XOl.jpg

Ok, time to order up an install kit. Given the contact patch wasn't right either, figured I'll just get a master kit, replace all the bearings, be done with it. Found the pinion was too deep as well. Turns out all they did was swap shims onto the new aftermarket gearset, installed bearings, reassembled, shipped it out. Pinion was .040" too deep, had .010" clearance to the carrier! Got everything setup CORRECTLY, reassembled, got this...
H4zt7bll.jpg

M3rP7Oil.jpg

Close enough for my tastes, time to seal up with that new cover...
r9LW0BJl.jpg

iS6UDtHl.jpg

Filled up with my usual Redline 75w90/75w140 mix, TT doesn't seem quite happy, may switch over to M1. Thinking back I had some chatter on M1 on this diff in the early days. Also interesting to note, look at the design of the steel vs. alum cover. The alum cover added 1/2qt to the capacity. When I drained it initially, I got maybe 3/4qt from it (much more displaced by the TT). With the alum cover it was closer to 1.5-1.7qts in there.

That's it for this update, probably won't be doing much until the motor comes out for a rebuild and the turbo gets hung off the side. For reference, found a killer deal on a GT28RS so yeah, good times will follow!

Last edited:
I assuming you're talking about the turbo manifold? Random finding from an estate clearance about 3 hours from the house. Guy was racing Volvo powered stuff WAY back, had this sent to him, never got a chance to run it.

No kidding! I've NEVER seen another one, in a lot of years. Took some digging to find much on it, with hiperfauto actually having a catalog pic showing the kit that it likely came from, but that's it. I know it's from MISAB, never got a response to my inquiry from them.

No kidding! I've NEVER seen another one, in a lot of years. Took some digging to find much on it, with hiperfauto actually having a catalog pic showing the kit that it likely came from, but that's it. I know it's from MISAB, never got a response to my inquiry from them.

That is so cool

Back