• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Official East v West 2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
<font size="+2"><b>The 2009 East vs. West Competition</b></font>
<ul><li><a href="http://adrianpike.com/tb/">Leaderboard</a></li><li><a href="#submit">Time Submission Instructions</a></li><li><a href="#pending">Currently Pending Submissions</a></li></ul>This is the first year I'm handling it, and really the first time I've been involved as more than an observer, so any suggestions or criticisms are welcome. Here's the rundown:

<font size="+1">Rules:</font> (nicked from http://www.turbobricks.com/evw.php)
Summary
The "east vs. west" shootout was created by Pat D. (tuff240) to help motivate the group by creating a friendly yet competitive event we could all participate from our home towns. The goal is to lay down
the fastest time you can and earn points for your side spending the time you have improving your times and power output to hopefully grab the bragging rights for the following year.
So far the results have been:

2008 - waiting for final results to be in
2007 - East
2006 - West
2005 - East
2004 - West
2003 - East

How The Competition Works:
Turbobricks members from each side (East Coast, West Coast, or International) visit a track throughout the course of the year, record their fastest 1/4 mile time and submit it to the contest admin. The idea is to work on your cars performance
throughout the year returning to the track, grabbing more points, and updating your time.
The points scheme is laid out to provide a much larger spread than in the previous years. It should be more motivating, making even a weekend of minor modifications rewarding at the track as well as for
your team.
Each side is divided up into 3 classes of cars, Turbocharged, Normally Aspirated, or "Hybrid" - a non-Volvo powered Volvo. Essentially there are now 3 competitions running simultaneously per side. Each class is equally important since the final victory in that class holds 1/3
of your sides total wins.
At the end of each year all the points are tallied up for a final count in each vehicle class. The side with the majority of class wins is declared victorious and thus has the bragging rights for the next year.

The Split:
Please verify the side you are grouped in by state. The states are grouped as evenly as possible by member representation. The west gets Hawaii, the east gets Puerto Rico. If we have forgotten or over
looked any other represented US, Canadian, or Mexican governed land masses please let us know so we can assign it a side.
North_America.jpg

Countries outside of North America will run as a third category.

Rules for Competitors:
<ul>
<li>Be mature, no cheating/bending rules, and no complaining. This is for fun. If you cheat, you're out.</li>
<li>Your time submission must include a photograph or video of your car and the score board reading your time (we can spot photoshop jobs). A time slip scan and fellow member verification can be used if
approved.</li>
<li>Any runs made must be in the current year.</li>
<li>1 registered run per vehicle per class. 1 turbo, 1 n/a, 1 non-Volvo</li>
<li>If a vehicle is sold to either side, points remain until new owner beats the standing entry and the previous time and points are removed.</li>
<li>If a Driver moves sides, points remain until driver runs at new location and previous points are removed.</li>
<li>If a vehicle changes classes within the year, only the current class will be registered.</li>
<li>If a driver is disqualified from the competition, their time will remain however carry no point value for the side.</li>
<li>All runs must be made at an official timed 1/4 mile drag strip. Estimates from 1/8th mile tracks, self timing, or non sanctioned timing devices are not allowed.</li>
</ul>

<font size="+1"><a name="submit">How to Submit a Time</a></font>
Submitting a time is as simple as dropping me a PM. Posting in this thread will not guarantee that I'll see your post, so it is not a guarantee of time submission - just use a PM. If my PM box is full,
drop me a line on AIM and I'll clean it out.
I will need the following things from you for a verified submission:
<ul>
<li>Board Username</li>
<li>Car Model</li>
<li>Brief (A paragraph or two) Description of your Vehicle</li>
<li>Location (East, West, or International) and Class (Turbo, N/A, or Hybrid)</li>
<li>A Scan of your timeslip, for verification purposes. Either circle your number on the slip, or (better!) include a photo of the car with the numbers on it.</li>
</ul>
When I get your PM, if I don't have enough time at that moment to submit it to the <a href="http://stickypad.homelinux.com/tb/evw.php">leaderboard</a>, it will go to the pending submissions list below.
Submissions will be run through on a first come, first serve basis.

<font size="+1"><a name="pending">Pending Submissions</a></font>
<ul>
</ul>

Let's see some times!

This is just a copy and paste from two years ago... so Live with it

You have a sticky on this thread. I'll leave the 2008 for this week before removing the sticky on that thread.

My car hasn't budged an inch in months.

w00t. :oogle:

Some time I need to get the PV out for some N/A points. Think they;ll kick me off the track for dropping rust flakes? :-P

I hope so man. Good luck. I'm hoping to break into 15 with my first ever entry. Gotta aim low.
Uh, I sure as hell hope you'll do a 15, otherwise you should've stayed NA...!
My car hasn't been moved since it was last @ the track ... maybe I should fix that bad HG and the times might be a bit better haha
Did I miss a thread? When'd you go to the track last and what happened to your headgasket? Did the Mike's chips blow it?
Some time I need to get the PV out for some N/A points. Think they;ll kick me off the track for dropping rust flakes? :-P
Nah, you'll be fine. Get off your butt and do it!

Uh, I sure as hell hope you'll do a 15, otherwise you should've stayed NA...!
Did I miss a thread? When'd you go to the track last and what happened to your headgasket? Did the Mike's chips blow it?
Nah, you'll be fine. Get off your butt and do it!

I'm thinking of bringing both cars and getting an NA and a Turbo entry.

As for my time with the turbo car... it's an M46, B230FT, 10psi, NPR IC, iPdT cam with Turbo back 3" exhaust.

If you can get traction and it runs worth a damn, that's a 14 second car. And, of COURSE, why wouldn't you run both cars?

I didn't actually know you had two, I thought you turboed the white 244 you've had forever. Or maybe I did know?

If you can get traction and it runs worth a damn, that's a 14 second car. And, of COURSE, why wouldn't you run both cars?

I didn't actually know you had two, I thought you turboed the white 244 you've had forever. Or maybe I did know?

Hahaha, well, here's hoping I can launch and drive worth a damn.

Not sure what my options out here as I've never had a car worth dragging.

Inga (The NA '88) will most likely post a reasonable pass.
Gary the Snail (The Turbo '84) however, maybe I'll wait until LH and 531 goodness...

Last edited:
Kjet is still good for 13s if you do things right. I haven't seen it in person, but it's not much of an excuse either, IMO. :-P Tye did 14.5 in his last year.

Okay went to PIR with a few other local volvos and got 11 runs in before the rain. Won all the races. Best time was a 12.983 at 106.30 mph. I scored some new 26 x 8.5 x 15 slicks on craiglslist and they fit perfect. I never got a great launch and I had a full tank of corn licker and I needed a bigger sping in my boost controler. I couldn't get more then 20lbs of boost. I might have a leak also.

09drags1.jpg

09drags2.jpg

09drags3.jpg

Simon

Wow, that 3.8 mustang has some juice. It's a shame it can't launch though...

Stage III or is it II cam is great. It seems to have a bunch of low end and then about 3k it really comes to life all the way to redline. I figured out my boost problem. I put a stronger spring in my MBC. I can now get 25lbs. Next time I'll take some cans of corn licker and keep just a few gallons in the car. Looks like this Sat night perhaps. I'm hoping for a PR of course. Trying to beat that measly 12.6 I ran last year. Motor is all stock 35k 84 b23ft. I still have a bunch of stuff to take out to make it lighter plus working on a fiberglass trunk lid and more lexan.

Simon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back