• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cranks no spark, no fuel pump

283SD

Drove my wife's 1990 245 into the shop with a check engine light. clearer the code , now it won't start,cranks but will not start. Check engine light does not come on with key in on position. changed the usual parts still no luck

I start at the fuse in the engine compartment. On the inner left fender. It is the main power fuse for the injection and ignition. A bad fuel pump relay can also do this. If the system side of the relay doesn't work you have a no spark no fuel symptom. My 93 recently had a bad fuel pump relay that caused a no spark no fuel. Also fuse twelve is involved in the power up process.

Did that, also changed the fuel pump relay and checked all the fuses. the check engine light does not come on with the key on?

Found the problem,one of the ground wires for the fuel injectors was loose. The bolt that I thought was tight was binding before it got tight.

Drove my wife's 1990 245 into the shop with a check engine light. clearer the code , now it won't start,cranks but will not start. Check engine light does not come on with key in on position. changed the usual parts still no luck

I found it very informative that the check engine light wouldn't illuminate. A certain member here calls those grounds "injector grounds." They are the grounds for the ECU, hence no CEL because your ECU has lost its' ground.

Drove me crazy for 5 days, it started with a head gasket change, the bolt in question seemed tight but was .010 of contacting the fuel rail, didn't want to break it with more torque on the little bolt. That one ground was the cause of all the problems.

I found mine stripped when it popped out during a pull, made the car mis like crazy, afrs were all over the place. Retapped and used bigger bolts :nod:

Car runs great so far, since fix, amazing what one wire will do to the elect system.

Back