• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47 proper fluid

mAnUAL TraNs FlUiD is For liFe

But in reality, I wonder if doing this would help with my m47 not wanting to go into 3rd every now and then. FCPEuro has the Redline MTL, which I read is really good, and some slightly cheaper stuff from Febi that still has good reviews. Also, apparently overfilling the trans to around 2L is good?

Last edited:
mAnUAL TraNs FlUiD is For liFe

But in reality, I wonder if doing this would help with my m47 not wanting to go into 3rd every now and then. FCPEuro has the Redline MTL, which I read is really good, and some slightly cheaper stuff from Febi that still has good reviews. Also, apparently overfilling the trans to around 2L is good?

The way I’ve read it is that the M47I (version 1) needed to be overfilled, but the M47II did not. Apparently we only got the version 2 in the US so you 'shouldn’t need to' but it won’t hurt anything at all. I just jack up the drivers side higher than the passenger, and fill until it comes out. Don’t need to measure anything.

They say that 5th gear starves for oil below a certain speed in 5th, like 45mph or something. No idea why anyone would use 5th below 60mph though. Unless you like lugging your engine and having no torque, then keep rpms around 2500-3000 all the time. That’s what I do. 3rd gear is the highest I use around town because it gives me passing power when needed and doesn’t lug the engine. Speeds are 45mph here max until you get to outer service roads or highways. I usually use 4th gear at about 50mph.

Besides, 3rd will take you from about 20mph to 100mph:ninja:

The way I?ve read it is that the M47I (version 1) needed to be overfilled, but the M47II did not. Apparently we only got the version 2 in the US so you 'shouldn?t need to' but it won?t hurt anything at all. I just jack up the drivers side higher than the passenger, and fill until it comes out. Don?t need to measure anything.

They say that 5th gear starves for oil below a certain speed in 5th, like 45mph or something. No idea why anyone would use 5th below 60mph though. Unless you like lugging your engine and having no torque, then keep rpms around 2500-3000 all the time. That?s what I do. 3rd gear is the highest I use around town because it gives me passing power when needed and doesn?t lug the engine. Speeds are 45mph here max until you get to outer service roads or highways. I usually use 4th gear at about 50mph.

Besides, 3rd will take you from about 20mph to 100mph:ninja:
3rd goes to 100? I shift to 4th when I hit 40 and cruise around town.

I have tried them all. Redline- Volvo- Motor oil- Amsoil. In my experience Syncromesh Valvoline has been the best in my gear box. Shifts slick, I just happened to try it while I was doing all fluid changes. Dont know how long it will last figure Id change it once a yr.

I have used Type F in there which is fine. I have used Redling MTL and it also was good. Thicker in the winter though but is fine after warmup.
There was a thread here that suggested using Fuch Synto or something like that. Supposedly it is the oil that Volvo uses for their oil product.
Volvos oil is great stuff but it's also about $60 for two quarts.

Yes, overfill the M47II. I put about two quarts in there. If you look at the side of the trans. Volvo used the lower fill plug instead of an upper one on the trans. Silly engineers.

3rd goes to 100? I shift to 4th when I hit 40 and cruise around town.

It?s either 90 or 100 I can?t remember. That?s at/near limiter though. I would keep your RPMs at 2500 minimum. My dad has always said lower RPMs are better and always shifts too early, so he isn?t allowed to drive my vehicles. Lugging am engine is far far worse than cruising at 4K+ RPMs. Low RPMs make it more likely to knock, too.

10W-30 oil makes shifting a bit clunky. Or, it's just my old trans. But I'm about to switch back to a Type F ATF. I had a sudden onset input shaft bearing noise so I put some synthetic oil in there. Still noisy, but still working / shifting.

I've used Redline MTL in the past. And cheap Type F ATF. Can't say I can tell a difference. I'm not sure the trans notices, either.

I like the Redline MT85, because in race conditions it cured a ****load of problems. I am absolutely not a believer in "I put in this chemical/fluid/additive and it cured all my problems!!" but I have to say that this did. New England winters make cold shifting kinda crap though.

I saw Towery in Qu?bec City. For real.

I'm hoping somebody puts the above in their footers. That would be awesome.

I just got home from work and had a couple beers so whatever. The MT85 part is true, though.

I know your experience is true. When my brother was racing an AH bugeye. The fresh trans in that was balky and hard to shift. Changed it to Redline MTL and it cured all the shifting problems and the trans lasted a whole race season.

Well, like I said I run the MT85 in New England and it's not a problem for me. 70k+ miles. In Winter I'm patient with it until it gets warm, but I understand what's going on inside the gearbox and I'm cool with it. If you seldom get below 60F you might never even notice.

Currently using Amsoil syncromesh manual transmission fluid, 5w-30. Seems to work alright, transmission has not exploded :)

Designed for manual transmissions and transaxles with synchromesh systems that require light viscosity, non-extreme-pressure fortified oil. Additive technology provides proper friction characteristics for smooth shifting. The ultimate in gear and bearing protection & outperforms motor oils in manual transmissions.

I picked it since it seemed intended as a improvement in transmissions calling for ATF or motor oil, both fluids which Volvo listed as ok in M46 and M47s.

Well, like I said I run the MT85 in New England and it's not a problem for me. 70k+ miles. In Winter I'm patient with it until it gets warm, but I understand what's going on inside the gearbox and I'm cool with it. If you seldom get below 60F you might never even notice.

During fall and winter it could get high 40s/low 50s. Would 85 or 90 work better? And I've been seeing synchromesh pop up a lot, what's the difference between all companies that use the name synchromesh?

Like I said, when we switched from MTL to MT85 it cured our 2-3 shift problem. Because of that, I don't think I'd go higher, it doesn't seem as though it would be necessary. Also, this is in a LeMons car, so we're talking max effort for 8 hours straight. In a street car, the MTL might be a fair choice also. Here's the response I got from Redline on 11 Aug 2014 when I inquired:

Dan,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your M47 transmission the MTL would be recommended containing the proper coefficient of friction for the synchros.

Do you notice any shiftability issues when shifting into reverse?

Do you know how hot the fluid operates?

You could increase the viscosity some to try and improve hot shiftability, MT-85 would be the next higher viscosity about 15% higher at operating temperature or the MT-90 about 50% higher viscosity.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Back