• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 Trailer Mk II

Mike_Brace

Image000.jpg

My 240 trailer made its last journey on the 30th July. I left it outside our house on the Saturday and on Sunday went out with it to have it come unhitched at about 40-50mph and hit the bank and somersault in front of me. It narrowly missed me and although the damage doesn't look too bad in the picture the shell is distorted.
I had been the victim of some low-lifes who thought it would be fun to sit the hitch on top of the ball and release the safety chain.
Monday saw arrival of the donor car and this weekend saw the start of the work - a complete strip to the shell and a cut.

Intwo.jpg

This was what we were left with to start the trailer build-up.

thebeginning.jpg

On Sunday it was time to start the closure at the front. A facelift 740 bonnet came into its own and being longer than the early bonnet we used last time has enabled a more streamlined look with loss of the bottom hump at the front.

firstwelding.jpg

This time I am also smoothing out the bodywork by filling the air vent, petrol filler and trim holes.
The pressure is on as I'm due to take it on holiday to France on the 1st September.
I will post more pictures as work progresses.

Mike

Damn that's a pretty different trailer mate.:)

Trailer woes! I had mine come off on me last month on a road trip up north of Victoria. Lost it at 110 km/hr fully loaded with all the goodies for the weekend (wood, bbq, 2 boxes of beer etc). The nut sheared completley off the bolt. Snapped the shackles on the safety chains too.

View attachment 2402

Might have to start looking for another 245 in the yards...

Last edited:
What did the old trailer weigh? Looks like it weighed at least 500 kilos empty... Do you weld the doors shut and then gut them, along with all the excess out of the rear side and bottom panels? What about the axle - do you replace that with something lighter, or leave the original differential in place? Do you need to keep the brakes due to weight, and how do you actuate them?

im.. going.. to.. look.. for.. a wagon shell.. thanks alot.. now im gogint ot have another POS in my yard.. lmao im going to make mine for sleeping.. aka camping.. nice flat floor... roof rack.. lmao might not be a 240.. maybe a 940 or 740....

Bricknoob said:
I think you need to weld a flatnose on there, would match up with the roofline.... *dodges tomatoes*

...just dont basterdize the firewall please! ;-) *dodges rear mounted dizzy cap*

Matt Dupuis said:
What did the old trailer weigh? Looks like it weighed at least 500 kilos empty... Do you weld the doors shut and then gut them, along with all the excess out of the rear side and bottom panels? What about the axle - do you replace that with something lighter, or leave the original differential in place? Do you need to keep the brakes due to weight, and how do you actuate them?
You are probably right about weight - never weighed it. Doors stayed fully functional. Original axle left in place. Ran it unbraked in theory under 750kg although it must have often been over. It towed beautifully - very stable - I got booked at 83mph (dual carriageway with 60 limit) but in France on downhill I suddenly realised I'd hit 100mph. Had intended fitty hydaulic brakes with use of a master cylinder activated off hitch but never got round to it. Hope to do this on Mk II. This time I'm removing all the glass and panelling in (time permitting). The rear seats were removed and some angle welded in to support a ply floor, with storage underneath.
Today I managed another half day on it. The base for the draw bar is in position, all the surplus holes are now plugged in and a lot of the corrosion repairs are done. Just the offside wheel arch and wheel well to repair. Next job will be cutting and fitting the front doors to close the gap.

Mike

yo what are you goign to do with those ecodes? and blinkers and grille? and also the tag on the front.. and if theres a matchign one from tha rear

My brother, Morley that is, driving my 240 with my trailer asked:
- Do you belive I can roof it?
- I belive you, I casually replied.

Seconds later after hard accelaration it was first on one wheel for some seconds, then removing asphalt with its side.

Should be noted the trailer is of light aluminium, with a VERY heavy steel superstructure.
Entertains the neighbourhood at least...

:) Managed a few more hours work. All the unnecessary underneath items, pipes, tank, pump, prop, exhaust are now all removed. All smoothing out work nearly completed and most corrosion repairs (rhs arch and wheelwell still need repairing).
The front doors have been stripped and cut down ready for tacking in and trimming down to complete the front corners. The base for the draw bar is also in position.

Image033-1.jpg

Image032-1.jpg

Funny you should ask that - todays been one of those days chasing round for things including a trip up to Liverpool (about 100 miles) to get the paint. The final choice was made by my wife. Its in the same sort of range of the colour spectrum but should be a bit more in your face and certainly won't be easy to miss. You'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see!!!!!
My bodywork friend has just been informed that the eyes of the Volvo world will be on him to complete on time. I'm hoping to hand it over to him next week.

Mike

Back