• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

72 142 Turbo Project

. BTW, I do like your car.:nod: It's fun to see someone resurrecting a 140 series.:)

Thanks! This obsession with 142's started in 97 when I found 2 for sale North of San Francisco. One got hit a few years later by a drunk driver and the other a few weeks lap's on the registration left over night on the street was not there in the morning (One of the many
reasons I left California) but that another story. Now I'm on my third 142, and you know what they say about the third try..;-)

Thanks, I'm down with that. ANYONE want to help educate me and come out and help?:omg:
Pizza and Beer or $$ I will pay. Or if you need work on a Brick I'm down with trades. It needs to be prepped and shot.

I'm not a pro at body work (my dad and I have been doing body work on my 142), but I could definitely lend an extra hand... I wish I would've taken more pictures of the steps I used to get it where it is right now. Although it was very similar to what Chris (cwdodson88) had said. Even though my process was a little different (I didn't put a super thin layer of bondo on the whole car as most of the body panels were really straight), but I did use a lot of block sanding and priming to fill low spots (depending on the severity I would use spot putty or a really thin layer of bondo); and to be honest, everything turned out better then I expected. It is just a slow process as you don't want to have to keep going back over the same area (it gets pretty frustrating if you have to do that), but luckily most of the surfaces on our cars are pretty flat (which some say flat surfaces are the hardest as they'll show the most defects); but again it just takes time. For instance I spent a solid two weeks doing body work and I'm still not completely finished. :(

Let me know if you want some extra help and I'll bring some nice beverages for us to drink while we work. :)

And I have to comment on Chris' vomiting of experience. It's nice to read stuff like that as it gives people hope and guidance of how to go about doing something.

Let me know if you want some extra help and I'll bring some nice beverages for us to drink while we work. :)

And I have to comment on Chris' vomiting of experience. It's nice to read stuff like that as it gives people hope and guidance of how to go about doing something.

I'm a Chris to, Chris' are awesome people.

Thanks for your offer. Bring your 142 and we'll bang them both out.. :mods: But, I'm out in Molalla.. :omg: Where are you?

I'm usually the guy asking how and getting shat on for my lack knowledge and overwhelming enthusiasm. So I like to get these things back on the road looking good whether it be over the internet or in person, if I know how to help I'll try.

I'm out in the East Gorge (The Dalles is about 85 miles east of PDX on I84) and I sometimes make it up to see my brother in Vancouver, So the next time I'm out maybe we can get together... The next few weeks is pretty crazy trying to get my wagon ready for a local car show

(BUMP) Looking for a good wiring guy too.. Not my forte. Just doing some cleaning and going to get a DA sander and supply's and start the prep. I hope my old compressor is up for the challenge.

If you're wanting to go LH2.2, I may be able to help a little. I swapped my 242 which ended up running my wagon. Once you get all the parts together, it really isn't that bad. I swapped out a harness out of a 740 because it was a car that I stripped. I ran everything through the passenger side firewall. Powerstage, resister pack and everything. Takes some of the clutter out of the engine bay and tucks it under the dash.

If you're wanting to go LH2.2, I may be able to help a little. I swapped my 242 which ended up running my wagon. Once you get all the parts together, it really isn't that bad. I swapped out a harness out of a 740 because it was a car that I stripped. I ran everything through the passenger side firewall. Powerstage, resister pack and everything. Takes some of the clutter out of the engine bay and tucks it under the dash.

Yeah. I am going LH 2.2 and have all the parts.. Send me a PM let me know what your availability is
I am getting the body prepped and would love to get the wireing done..

Project looks great! More than I can say for my 142 still sitting at my in-laws' place :-(

What are you going to do about the brake booster?

I've toyed with the idea of a remote booster, but even then, there's hardly enough room for the master cylinder. Blackie required a TON of custom-made brake lines (due to the 142-1800ES combo brake system), so I'm no stranger to bending up lines and making it all work.

I presume you went with a B20 oil pan and modified (shortened) oil pump pickup?

Curious to also see how you do the downpipe.

Project looks great! More than I can say for my 142 still sitting at my in-laws' place :-(

What are you going to do about the brake booster?

I've toyed with the idea of a remote booster, but even then, there's hardly enough room for the master cylinder. Blackie required a TON of custom-made brake lines (due to the 142-1800ES combo brake system), so I'm no stranger to bending up lines and making it all work.

I presume you went with a B20 oil pan and modified (shortened) oil pump pickup?

Curious to also see how you do the downpipe.

Hey Nick.. Yeah thanks, slow going but picking up steam... I have not solidly solved the break booster thing but I'm sure a 1800es would work. or it would look nice with a remote tucked under somewhere out of sight.. Im pulling the motor this week and redoing the pan and drilling proper oil drain and repainting eng block. Are you referring to the exhaust downpipe or oil return? For the exhaust I have the Ford thunderchicken wastgate that angels right down and out..

Hey Nick.. Yeah thanks, slow going but picking up steam... I have not solidly solved the break booster thing but I'm sure a 1800es would work. or it would look nice with a remote tucked under somewhere out of sight.. Im pulling the motor this week and redoing the pan and drilling proper oil drain and repainting eng block. Are you referring to the exhaust downpipe or oil return? For the exhaust I have the Ford thunderchicken wastgate that angels right down and out..

By "proper oil drain" are you referring to drilling the block for the turbo drain-back?

Wilwood has some pretty nifty solutions for remote mounted reservoirs and boosters. Pricey, but worth it in the long run I think. Lord knows we both have a LOT of fabrication to do.

I might have issues with my DP... I only have the hot sides that stick straight out toward the rear, and I may have to do a very tight 90-degree bend, or cut into the firewall to lessen the bend.

Back